Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barramundi

Mash or be mashed....
Reaction score
lookin at makin a wheat beer over the weekend , basic grain schedule of

4.8kgs wheat malt
1.2kgs ale malt

any suggestions on what hops to use , plannin on using a trappist yeast i was given a starter of any opinions on that apprecaited also ..

cheers in advance ,

also to anyISB guys who might read this can any of you remember the hopping schedule for the st peters blonde ? chinnook and cascade spring to mind but im not confident ??

It's hard to say, as the recipe is not typical of any style I've tasted.

However, I can imagine that those flavours would marry well together with some Saaz hops, and /or some Hallertau Mittelfruh.

I can't imagine the St Peter's blonde with those hops. I'd be thinking of German noble hops. That is often a good choice.

Les

I can imagine a blonde with those hops, but I can, and do, imagine all sorts of things.....
I think they make a beer with a similar grain bill in Sicily,it has some dialect name that roughly translates to "Cement Shoes", bit like the wobbly boot and other such.

K

the isb guys (myself included) had a tour of the brewery last year , im sure matt mentioned chinnook ...could be wrong though

ok , picked up the grain today on the way into work , still lookin for ideas on hops to make a nice summer wheat/blonde ..

that sounds ok i have a bit of that needing to be used up to , use it solo you think ?

Im going to try B Saaz flowers and Saaz pellets in my wheat beer tomorrow ? Might get a hint of Citrus off the B Saaz ? could be a nice Summer beer

Yep. You don't want a complex hop flavour/bitterness overpowering the bread. Wheat beers are well, wheaety :)

cheers

grant

Yep. You don't want a complex hop flavour/bitterness overpowering the bread. Wheat beers are well, wheaety :)

cheers

grant

30 gms at start of boil and 30gms at 15 mins ? or more ?

I've made several kit based brews that are like this - wheat kit + belgian yeast. I call it a "half wit" - it's a bit like a wit without the corriander and orange peel. Definitely noble hops all the way, and understated rather than overstated.

T.

hallertau it shall be , plannin on using the yeast you gave me on this one tom ...

30 gms at start of boil and 30gms at 15 mins ? or more ?

30 gms sounds about right. Check the AAU of the hops and aim for about 15 IBU. I use a single addition at 60 minutes and generally do a 90 minute boil.

cheers

grant

1 hop addition at 60 min to about 20 IBU. I normally use Hallertau and the Wyeast 3333.

cheers
johnno

Latest posts

Back