Wheat Beer With A Dash Of Cordial.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
I'm sure (fairly..) I didn't imagine, but actually read somewhere that purveyors of wheat beers in certain places in Europe offer the punters a selection of different flavoring's to add the their beers, I'm assuming principally to offset the tartness.
I gave this a whirl on Saturday night by adding a tablespoon or so of Grenadine to a pint of weizen. You know what - not bad, which is to say I had another. Certainly better than that Kriek from DM's.

So what do you say, anybody else know about flavoring beers in this fashion? Got any ideas? (Please, not Milo but)

Never tried it in my own brewing, but a mate of mine just got back from Singapore where he said he saw a beer menu almost exclusively comprised of different kinds of 'flavoured' Hoegaarden. I personally thought this was a pretty obscure find in Asia.

He said he tasted one flavoured with some kind of Lychee syrup that was quite enjoyable. Sounds okay to me for something a bit different.

I've used the rasberry flavor from CB (in a whole keg, not just added to the glass), was a while ago now but I remember it was pretty shit at the start, just tasted like I added cordial, then it got nice and mellow, then it got real overpowering. I'm not sure what was going on but I would have thought that the flavor would dissapear over time if anything. I plan on using a few different ones this summer also but I'll just add it to the glass I think, keg was only in a good stage for a week or so. Wouldn't mind trying a blueberry stout or something

Last night I added 4 drops of boysenberry extract to a schooner of Cascade APA just for shits and giggles.

I think one of the beers commonly flavoured with a sweet fruit syrup in Germany is a Berliner Wiesse (low alc, sour wheat beer). As these are very tart beers on their own, however the lightness and high carbonation makes them quite refreshing beer on a hot day.

Cheers SJ

The French bung syrup de cassis in all sorts of things, notably champagne - you can even buy cheap bubbles in the supermarket that already has syrup de cassis in it. It's just black currant syrup, so us folk could just throw a slug of Ribena into bubbles or beer...

When I was in Pommieland a few years ago, there were all these old drinkers hanging onto the bar drinking pink beer. Out of curiosity, I asked what it was, but all I got were icy stares (they must have thought I was a Yank). I eventually came across a friendly barman who told me they were adding rasberry syrup. I guess English megaswill is as boring as our own and needs anything for some flavour.

When I was in Pommieland a few years ago, there were all these old drinkers hanging onto the bar drinking pink beer. Out of curiosity, I asked what it was, but all I got were icy stares (they must have thought I was a Yank). I eventually came across a friendly barman who told me they were adding rasberry syrup. I guess English megaswill is as boring as our own and needs anything for some flavour.

Might find they were drinking a snake bite . Half pint beer half pint lemonade and a dash of rasberry

In Ireland its common to ask for a dash of blackcurrant with your Guiness. Especially for the ladies.....

Used to work in a pub in Liverpool where they always have lime, orange and blackcurrant cordial on hand. From what I can remember, a dash of lime went in larger, blackcurrant went in many things like cider, snakebite (otherwise known as a pint of diesel) and even Guinness on occasion. I guess it takes all kinds...

Weirdest one was a pint of black velvet, which was half a pint of Guinness, with half a pint of champagne (or more often cider for the poverty stricken) which may or may not have had some added blackcurrant.'

“de gustibus et coloribus non est distputandum”

A few old timers in rural Queensland add a dash of sars cordial or sars softdrink to their beer.

I though snake bite was half beer, half cider?

Yes it is, or even a 'green *******' when you put a shot of Blue curacau (sp) in it.

As for cordial, lager and lime, cider and black(currant) been done for years.

Snakebite and Black (currant cordial shot) - the student piss up beverage of choice, 20 years ago at least. mmm, blackcurrant and sugary cider to mask the unpleasant lager lurking in there.
This isn't me, just a google random, but you get the idea:
snakebite-and-black.jpg

Weirdest one was a pint of black velvet, which was half a pint of Guinness, with half a pint of champagne (or more often cider for the poverty stricken) which may or may not have had some added blackcurrant.'
Guinness is great to drop things in like a shot of black, (just between us) I used to top my winter ones off with a shot of Tia Maria :lol: The Drambuie - Guinness nights are just a blank.

+1 back in the early teenage years 2 liters of old English and 3 cans of harp lager with some raspberry. Great for a Saturday night piss up in the town. They were the days :party:

Latest posts

Back