Pegas Wheat beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't give a crap what the beer looks like. All about the flavour IMO.

Still very new to it all, actually this is my first beer (discounting my failed ginger beer). I have read varying descriptions about crystal malt, but from the sounds of it it may be what I'm after. I'll try that next.

What are specialty grains? I think all grain will happen inevitably, but would be good to start simple and get a better idea on the canned stuff first.

I just bottled today and primed with some more honey, so hopefully that ups the sweetness and honeyness a little. I know it's still very green but I'm going to try some now :D (can't be stuffed waiting!)

Spirits said:
I really don't give a crap what the beer looks like. All about the flavour IMO.

Still very new to it all, actually this is my first beer (discounting my failed ginger beer). I have read varying descriptions about crystal malt, but from the sounds of it it may be what I'm after. I'll try that next.

What are specialty grains? I think all grain will happen inevitably, but would be good to start simple and get a better idea on the canned stuff first.

I just bottled today and primed with some more honey, so hopefully that ups the sweetness and honeyness a little. I know it's still very green but I'm going to try some now :D (can't be stuffed waiting!)
Crystal malt is a specialty grain and by definition a specialty grain has already had the starch converted to sugar which would normally happen in a mash and then the process has been stopped and the grain kilned, so basically you can just throw the grain in water and the sugars are already there to dissolve into your wort

Damn....

Just realised today after drinking a couple of the bottles (lovely by the way, but I'll still fiddle with the recipie).

:(

I didn't clean out the bottles 100% so now there are some of them with little mould spots :(

I know that these spots were originally in the bottles as I saw a few of them wash out and assumed that it was impossible for any of it to stay in the bottles considering i rinsed them out with very hot water first, then again with the bottle sanitiser mix. Somehow there was just some left. :(

Now... Do I very carefully check out all the bottles with little floaties and chuck the rest, or should I just chuck the whole lot in the still and make some sort of whisky?

Muntons wheat kit can make a very nice weizen, like the Pegas style, but you MUST use a wheat beer yeast.

WB-06, or liquid weizen yeast (W3068/ WLP300) will give you right flavours for the beer you want, and a much better starting point. Quite certain the yeast that came with the tin is not a wheat beer yeast.

Aha, good to know!

I knew I could find the answers here, just a bit of experimenting and asking.

Thanks heaps guys, love all the great info.

So if I were to use the muntons kit again, should I use regular malt (extract) for the last kilo of sugars, or should I use wheat malt (grain).

as far as dry wheat beer yeasts go - Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat seems to be much more authentic than WB-06

Spirits said:
Aha, good to know!

I knew I could find the answers here, just a bit of experimenting and asking.

Thanks heaps guys, love all the great info.

So if I were to use the muntons kit again, should I use regular malt (extract) for the last kilo of sugars, or should I use wheat malt (grain).
I found that Munton's wheat DME was great for the style, but successfully made this kit with plain sugar or dextrose.

Plain sugar/dextrose will bump up the banana character produced by the weizen yeast.

Plain sugar? Really?

I don't want anything too dry, but not too sweet either. (So I assume a lower OG would be preferable?)

Would there be a problem using the wheat malt grain? (ie. having all wheat brew?)

Latest posts

Back