Wheat Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnno said:
Warren
I was just going to chuck the hulls in with the mash. Is this OK or are you supposed to used them at mash out?
[post="93342"][/post]​
Johnno, most I ever used was 300g. Last wheat beer I didn't bother with rice hulls and unless I start getting stuck sparges, I won't again.

I do a protein rest for 10 minutes.

I reckon rice hulls suck up a disproportionate amount of wort in the mashtun, you would need to adjust your efficiency down to accomodate that.

Can't say I've ever used rice hulls in a wheat & no stuck sparges todate - There again I don't have any rice hulls ;) ...

Cheers...

Thanks for the help everyone.
1.25 kilos of hulls does look like way too much.
Previous advice I got indicated about 15% of the grain bill should be about 15%.
I willtone it down to 400 grams as I am paranoid about stuck sparges.

johnno

PS lucky i just checked AHB before I started the brew. :beerbang:

Finished this one up at about 7 this evening.

Everything went ok albeit a bit longer.

It was cool using a refractometer.

It was cool using a march pump.

It was cool using a counterflow chiller..

My efficiences were not the best (actually quite bad) as has been normal for me this year :( but that is something that will improve.

:beerbang:

johnno

Looking forward to hearing about the tasting.

I too am thinking about a weizen for summer drinkin. :chug:
Reading this thread it seems a 50/50 split is not going to cause any stuck sparges.
Would 60% wheat,40% pils be pushing it too far without rice hulls or not?
I,ve done extract weizens in the past with wy 3068,but want to try another strain this time,any suggestions(wyeast)?

:ph34r: EDIT*

Just perused the wyeast site and like the sound of the 3868,more banana/bubble gum is what I'm after.

Brauluver said:
Reading this thread it seems a 50/50 split is not going to cause any stuck sparges.

I would say that it depends on your system.

yeah it depends on your system.

I used to mash in an esky with a 3/8 copper tube pick up with half a doven 1/8 holed drilled in it and some SS nesh wraped arount that. It sparged well mastly but did get stuck easy if the mash was too fine.

I did a 60/40 wheat beer in it and it got stuck 4 times but a quick stir got it going again.

It ended up being the most brightly clear beer i ever made which blew my misconceptions abour 5% wheat malt creating protein haxe out of the water.

In my new keg mash ton t got a stuck sparge with bohemien pils malt that decintigrated finer that the JW and bairds MO base malts and had to chuck in a couple of liters of rice hulls to get it going again.

I would recomend going to 60% wheat malt and have been told that you only need rice hulls over 70% but i recon 1 liter of hulls in a 20 to 25 liter batch would be a good preventitive measure.

I will sertanly use them in future, especialy in my plammed roggenbier, and didnt find they took up any extract in the pils i addad then to at all. I actually got about 84% efficiency with them. I aimed for 1.050 with 80% efficiency and got target volume at 1.055. I put it down to a free flowing bed.

cheers wheat beers :lol:

Edit: the Jazman spelling mistake award goes to.............. B)

Kai said:
Brauluver said:

I would say that it depends on your system.
[post="93686"][/post]​

System is basic but effective,Its my version of the Grumpys lauter tun(sorry TDH I'm a tight arse).

100_1197.JPG

Well today was the day.after much deliberation and head scratching,I did a simple weizen.

60% pilsener(joe white)
40% wheat (joe white)

Organic (NZ) Hallertau to 20 IBU

Pitched with Wyeast 3333

Single infusion@ 66c,Batch sparge.

Keep it simple weizen,Plan to keep it @ 22c to get some banana overtones.

Nice one Brauluver, I just finished a wheat beer an hour ago and am now in the last hour of the boil of a Amber ale :)

3.60 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 58.1 %
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 40.3 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 1.6 %
30.00 gm Liberty [4.30%] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
30.00 gm Liberty [4.30%] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU

And I will be brewing a Weizen tomorrow:

7.0kg Hoepfner Pale Wheat
3.0kg JW Export Pils
0.5kg Hoepfner Carahell
0.1kg Weyermann Acidulated

Mashed at 40, 52, 65, 70 and 78

Yeast - White Labs WLP300 (W68 strain)

Hallertau 10.2% cones
Pacific Hallertau 6% pellets to a total IBU of 16

Open ferment at 17 to 18C

Wes

Jye said:
Nice one Brauluver, I just finished a wheat beer an hour ago and am now in the last hour of the boil of a Amber ale :)

[post="98155"][/post]​

Thanks for the encouragement,It's only my 4th AG,and I'm lovin' the flava control I've got over malt/mouthfeel via temps.....n .....stuff....

What yeast did ya pitch with?

Its going to be an American Wheat and I wanted to use 1056 but was unable to get any so I am using safale US56.

Jye said:

Its going to be an American Wheat and I wanted to use 1056 but was unable to get any so I am using safale US56.
[post="98172"][/post]​

That yeast worked fine 4 me in an APA and an american wheat(Last extract ever),and used it in my 1st eva AG,the organic blonde with good results @ 16/18c.

@ 16/18c.

I was think of brewing at 17c since I will be away over Christmas for 2 weeks and will also have an Amber Ale (1272 yeast) in the fridge with it... Will be a nice little present for me when I get back :D :beerbang:

Just kegged my first attempt at a Belgian Wit this morning - Tasting surprisingly good for a grain to brain brew in 10 days :chug:
Thanks AndrewQld for all your help. Recipe below for those interested:

Witbier
Type: All Grain
Date: 18/01/2006
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 33.80 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 39.2 %
1.30 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 25.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 19.6 %
0.45 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 8.8 %
0.35 kg Oats Quick (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.9 %
40.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
15.00 gm Saaz [3.30%] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
25.00 gm Orange Peel, dried (Boil 7.0 min) Misc
35.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 7.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 19.6 IBU Calories: 486 cal/l
Est Color: 8.2 EBC Color:

On ya Ross :excl:

I'm just about to batch sparge my 3rd weizen.

50% wheat
40% pilsener
10% munich(light)

mashed @ 66c,single infusion(not ready to decoct yet,time factor..kids etc...)

organic NZ hallertau to 18/20 IBU's ,and will be pitched onto the yeast cake from the last weizen(dunkel). Wyeast 3333.

Planning another dunkel weizen to follow this b4 moving into APA territory. B)

Ross, did you crush the corriander seed? and, what type of dried orange peel did you use? In my last wheat I used mixed peel from the supermarket, picking out the orange bits and 15g of corriander seed from my garden. Ground the corriander in the mortar and pestle. Added both for the last 10 min of the boil from memory. Corriander balance is just right for me, but the citrus is overpowering to my palate. Wife and others love it, have been drying orange peel in the shed to use next time to see what the dif will be.

Jye said:

[post="98155"][/post]​

Jye, kindly brought a keg of this over to our brew meet last night - a top drop :super:

cheers Ross

Back