Wheat Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnno said:
Thanks for all the help everybody.
I must admit I am not a big fan of the style so I will just go ahead with a single infusion.
As long as it is tart. That is what I am looking for.

cheers
johnno
[post="89639"][/post]​

Johhno, the one I made is certainly tart & has had the munich added, as rightly pointed out by Warren, to compensate for the single infusion mash - Not being a great fan of the style, like yourself, I went the easy route... :)

Was going to make a wheat beer this weekend.

Now i have strict orders from the physio that I am not allowed to lift anything or even bend, just lay down and rest due to a very bad back.

All he had to do was mention back operation if you are not careful and that really made me stop and think.

Apparently my condition is getting better but he still cant tell me when I will be able to lift again.

In the meantime I will just hope its sooner rather than later.

johnno

Hope you get back on the mash paddle soon Johnno.
Crook backs are the pits.

Jonno, what is wrong with your back? What is the physio doing to help it, etc, I would like to help.

Johnno.

Maybe second Mrs. Johnno to brewhouse lifting duties? :unsure: That said I'm pretty certain I'd know what Mrs. Warren would say given the same situation. :ph34r: :lol:

Warren -

sinkas said:
Jonno, what is wrong with your back? What is the physio doing to help it, etc, I would like to help.
[post="90985"][/post]​

warrenlw63 said:
Johnno.

Maybe second Mrs. Johnno to brewhouse lifting duties? :unsure: That said I'm pretty certain I'd know what Mrs. Warren would say given the same situation. :ph34r: :lol:

Warren -
[post="90987"][/post]​

Sinkas
thanks for the offer. But I think you are a bit far away. :lol:

Waren,
at a guess Mrs johnno's rolling pin is lined with some sort of metal and weigh's a real lot. I will have to weigh it up some day.

johnno

Now that I have my back brace and am allowed to "do stuff" like actually sit down I may sneak this brew in on Saturday arvo.

Still havent put a recipe together but will get a starter going later today.

johnno

After reading through people's variations of Wheat Beer recipes, what are peoples thoughts in regards to using ale malt in place of pils?

This should generally add a bit more body and maybe take away from the quaffingness (is that a word?) of the beer? :huh:

What effect could I expect?

Cheers

I've used JW Trad Ale in Wheat beers with great results.
For even better results my wheat beers with Rye malt have been exceptional.

Beers,
Doc

Screwtop,

48 % Pils (Or Ale)
28 % TF Pale Rye
24 % Wheat

Tettnanger to about 36 IBU and you are in business.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Screwtop,

48 % Pils (Or Ale)
28 % TF Pale Rye
24 % Wheat

Tettnanger to about 36 IBU and you are in business.

Beers,
Doc
[post="93085"][/post]​

Thanks! Wheat malted or grain, 3638 OK

Here is my exciting recipe for my first AG wheat beer.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 23.5 %
3.50 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts) (2.0 EBC) Grain 41.2 %
3.00 kg Powells Pilsner (Powells Malts) (3.0 EBC) Grain 35.3 %
56.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
28.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (30 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1 Pkgs German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) [Starter 1250 ml] Yeast-Wheat

Is that too much rice hulls?

I have not used them before so I dont know how much to use.

Suggestions about anything welcome.

johnno

Picked up my grain for tomorrow's wheat beer.
Cut back on the rice hulls to 1.25 kg.

It will be a good day for firsts.

First time making an AG wheat.
Fisrt time using a pump.
First time using a counterflow chiller. (Thanks very much to gout for lending me his IC for most of the year).
First time using a refractometer.

And I pick up a new fermetation fridge first thing in the morning which i scored for free.
Hope all goes well. hehe.

johnno

Johnno.

2kg of rice hulls is waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. :lol: That should see you through at least half a dozen brews.

Best way I found to use them in a 40 litre batch containing roughly 8kg of grain was to measure the hulls out in a 1 litre plastic jug. What I did was scoop out 2 jugs of rice hulls and just stir them in when mashing out. :beerbang: Yep, they weighed a heck of a lot less than 2kg.

Let us know how the Hefe fares. :beer:

Warren -

Warren
I was just going to chuck the hulls in with the mash. Is this OK or are you supposed to used them at mash out?

Johnno

Don't think it would really matter Johnno. Just chuck your two measuring jugfulls in when you start the mash. Doubt it would make any real difference. :beerbang:

Good luck with it. ;) If it still sticks a bit don't be afraid to rake the surface of the mash with a knife. Just get a bread-knife and carefully cut across the surface of the mash in a criss-cross pattern to free it up a bit if it gets gluey as some wheats can.

Don't stress too much if the runoff gets fairly cloudy. Wheats are going to do this regardless and some finished haze is desirable. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Screwtop said:
Thanks! Wheat malted or grain, 3638 OK
[post="93102"][/post]​

Malted wheat.

Screwtop said:
Thats 100g of Tettnung, you sure?
[post="93114"][/post]​

Two additions. 3/4 at 60 mins and the last 1/4 at 15 mins.
So for my brews 40 litres using Tettnanger pellets @ 5.5% 76gr 60 mins 22 gr 15 mins.

johnno said:
Here is my exciting recipe for my first AG wheat beer.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 23.5 %
3.50 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts) (2.0 EBC) Grain 41.2 %
3.00 kg Powells Pilsner (Powells Malts) (3.0 EBC) Grain 35.3 %
56.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
28.00 gm Hallertauer [2.50%] (30 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1 Pkgs German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) [Starter 1250 ml] Yeast-Wheat

Is that too much rice hulls?

I have not used them before so I dont know how much to use.

Suggestions about anything welcome.

johnno
[post="93120"][/post]​

Awesome Johnno. Will be an exciting brewday indeed.
Best of luck.

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back