Whats Your Favourite Part Of The Brewing Process?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for some reason I love the "mash in" part. The smell gets me every time.

I concour.

The smell gets me everytime, even my missus loves the smell. She reckons it smells like mars bars cooking...WTF?

Definately the mash, and putting the airlock into the fermentor cause by that stage normally all the cleaning is done as well so I can finally kick back and give myself a pat on the back.

Even though its normally 2-3 months before I crack the first beer open from that particular batch.

I too love mashing in. The smell of Munich malt hitting warm water, oh baby. Second would be the smell of noble hops on the boil.

Sadly I have a cold atm, so the all Munich beer I just brewed with 250g of oz hallertau flowers, NB, cascade, etc was a very muted experience :(

Definitely designing the next beer and opening the box of goodies when it arrives. I have to also say I really enjoy tinkering with my brewery adding/changing bits and pieces in the never-ending goal of refining my process...

Cheers,
Michael.

Another vote for the fantastic smell when you mash in. Closely followed by the first glass out of a new keg 7 days later.

Bottling

Please don't hurt me

I don't mind bottling, it's quite pleasurable to see a growing group of bottles with what you know will be great beer in them. It's washing the buggers I hate.

I love seeing the yeast cultures I have saved in the fridge come to life. Once they're firing on all 8 cylinders, into the wort they go.

We all brew not only for the sublime drinking pleasure and accolades from friends, colleagues and family, but for the love of the whole brewing process. Be-it R&D, Planning, Preping ingredients, boil, adding hops, etc. or even the trip to the HBS, where all these malt and hop creations are made possible.

To start it off, I have just finnished running a AAA out of my CFC into my fermenter, at the moment this is my favourite part, a full fermenter - not even airated, just waiting for yeast to be pitched and for them to do theyre part of the work, all that sweet, malty, hoppy goodness, waiting to become beer.
:rolleyes:

So, whats yours?

Cheers

Chris

I think it would have to be drinking the first beer after you finish cleaning up and putting away your gear after a brew. Reminds me why I do it.

I have a habit which has become ritual for me. I look forward to this moment with great anticipation.

It is the moment following transfer to secondary when I crack open the empty fermenter with the sludge in the bottom of it. As soon as it is open I PLUNGE my head into the fermenter and take a series of slow deep breaths.

This to me is heaven and I have had to be "pulled back out" from time to time.

ATOMT :)

My fave is the relief when the beer makes it from kettle to cubes without blockage. Feel like you're kind of home and hosed then. B)

Oh and smelling a freshly opened bag of hop flowers.... :super: :super:

Warren -

for me it's ultimately pulling the first beer off a keg of beer you've really nailed this time around and I say.... wow... now **that's** good!

secondly, it's the gadgets and things I build to improve the process or the final product.

only thing I find really a drag is lifting lots of heavy stuff... I just need a hydrolics system now :)

I'm "another" for Mash In.... i lubs it.

Chilling the wort, watching it enter the fermenter via the CFWC and measuring the wort right on pitching temp and correct gravity!

oh and smelling the boil after hop additions is pretty good too

I have a habit which has become ritual for me. I look forward to this moment with great anticipation.

It is the moment following transfer to secondary when I crack open the empty fermenter with the sludge in the bottom of it. As soon as it is open I PLUNGE my head into the fermenter and take a series of slow deep breaths.

This to me is heaven and I have had to be "pulled back out" from time to time.

ATOMT :)

I hope you never mistaken your toilet for your fermenter :lol:

The smell of the mash for me also.

rook

Love the aroma of boilovers, then the feeling of satisfaction after everything is cleaned up.

The sight of 14 crates full of bottles and all the kegs full at the end of brewing season is great.

I reckon the boil and turning the kitchen into a brewery is my favourite part...adding the hops, watching the roll, smelling the smell, watching the wife go "phwaww, that stinks!" :D

Least favourite part is the cleanup after, especially the spills.... <_<

It wasn't my fault - honest! :blink:

Latest posts

Back