Whats Your Favourite Part Of The Brewing Process?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
We all brew not only for the sublime drinking pleasure and accolades from friends, colleagues and family, but for the love of the whole brewing process. Be-it R&D, Planning, Preping ingredients, boil, adding hops, etc. or even the trip to the HBS, where all these malt and hop creations are made possible.

To start it off, I have just finnished running a AAA out of my CFC into my fermenter, at the moment this is my favourite part, a full fermenter - not even airated, just waiting for yeast to be pitched and for them to do theyre part of the work, all that sweet, malty, hoppy goodness, waiting to become beer.
:rolleyes:

So, whats yours?

Cheers

Chris

Hey Mate.

my fav part is taste testing what i want to brew next and ordering the gear.

Almost as exciting as the stuff turning up;)

But at the moment have a northern alt at 15 c ,and the sight i smell is great:)

Oh and i like yeast culturing that really gives me a buzz,commercial or the labs

I like watching the wort boil, its like a bubbling fire, mesmerising. until it almost boils over. then you refill you glass :)

edit - phonos, do you do house visits ?!? :lol:

i think i love mashing in and hitting your exact temp the most...and then the smell... :) gotta love a few ales while watching over the boil and then adding a couple of extras that wern't in the recipe as well.. good times :)

-Phill

It's got to be the first glass of beer out of a keg that you've tried clone and see how close you are to the copied beer.
Just done that with a Coopers Pale Ale....spot on! Just love it. You must culture the Coopers Yeast though.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Offering someone who "doesn't drink homebrew" a beer and watching the expression on their face when they realise how good it is.

(Then seeing how jealous they are when they realise I have a whole keg of the stuff sitting in my kitchen.)

Bit of a hard one, as it's all fun, but I reckon smelling and tasting the first hydrometer sample, and each one after. It's great to see how your beer develops!

I reckon nothing beats comparing the taste of a brand new recipe to what you originally had in mind when designing it. It's amazing how close some brews can come to exactly what you have in mind (sometimes not though...!)

Or making the same brew twice using slightly different ingredients.

So many things - from creating a recipe, the divine aroma of the mash tun, the smell of fresh Mittelfrueh or Saaz, the first taste, the last sip of a great batch, or the bragging rights.

For me, as a scientist, it's the culturing of a clean batch of yeast, especially from a bottle of commercial beer.
So, there ya go.

Seth :p

The anticipation of how great the next brew is going to be. So much promise.

I enjoy brewing there beer as much as i enjoy drinking it. AG is the only way to go.

I love the whole process to me I'm like a moth to the flame, but the highlights for me are R&D recipes, boiling and tasting.

All of the above, but I think I like the mechanics of it best.

There's something very satisfying about operating valves, pumps, flames and elements and watching the ingredients get turned into beer as each process does its thing.

It's probably the closest I'll ever get to driving a steam engine :beer:

I like bottling because its something my husband and I do togethor.
We get a nice little production line going and for an hour or so we work in harmony.
Pathetic, I know.

And I like the fact that the kitchen ends up much cleaner than when I start.
Which is a reflection on the general state of my kitchen. :blink:

for some reason I love the "mash in" part. The smell gets me every time.

for some reason I love the "mash in" part. The smell gets me every time.

Yeah, me too - that great smell as you mix in the grain.

But I have to say the very best bit is being able to pour a glass of beer that you made and enjoy it right to the bottom.

and then have another one ;)

I reckon the boil and turning the kitchen into a brewery is my favourite part...adding the hops, watching the roll, smelling the smell, watching the wife go "phwaww, that stinks!" :D

Least favourite part is the cleanup after, especially the spills.... <_<

dough in and last minute hop addition frenzy. gives my neighbours the shits but I LOVE the smell.

The boil for me - unless you have a boilover. I don't like that bit.
Mmmm, the smell of hops in the boil...

Back