Whats Wrong?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
my beers not started fermenting.....its been 3 days and no life! hydro reading is the same.....gave the wort a good splash about to oxidise.....wyeast thames vally was activated and swollen when pitched.....15l batch of Smurtos TTLL clone.....OG sitting at 1.049...........fermenter temp says 18deg.. oh and i use a safe sterilizer which will not halm the yeast (brewcraft no rinse stuff)

I cant think of why it is stuck what shall i do? ive got no more yeast.. will the batch survive until i get some more?..

Not happy Jan!

Give it more time, sometimes liquid yeast take a long time to get going especially if you didn't make a starter. I say give it to the 7 day mark, it should have done something by then.

Give it more time, sometimes liquid yeast take a long time to get going especially if you didn't make a starter. I say give it to the 7 day mark, it should have done something by then.

your kidding 7 days! I had no idea! I thought liquid yeasts are far more aficiant.

my beers not started fermenting.....its been 3 days and no life! hydro reading is the same.....gave the wort a good splash about to oxidise.....wyeast thames

Mate, not being a smartarse, just like to help people get it right. You want to oxygenate at this stage, not oxidise. Oxidise is bad. Oxygenate when yeast added is good.

Even with 'only' 15l, MrMalty still recommends 1.6 packs or a 1l starter to supply the 'ideal' amount of yeast and really kick of your fermentation in the best way possible: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
(Note: results do depend on the manufacture date, which I guessed).
So give it some time and it should be fine, if the pack swelled up nicely the yeast should be fine, I know its hard but really the best thing to do is wait, the more you open/test/play/prod/worry the more chance there is to introduce an infection etc.

1275 is IMO a notoriously slow ******* on the first pitch. Has been for every pack I've used, even in small beers. Repitching slurry on the other hand....goes off fine. It only ever seems to be the first use that's slow...

Latest posts

Back