Stuck ferment… Direct fire reducing attenuation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onesnzeros

Reaction score
Hi peoples, long time lurker, first time whinger.

I have a nice amber in the fridge which has stopped eating.
I have some amylase powder here (a mix of alpha and beta), but a bone dry beer is not so desirable to me.
the batch has been reduced from 16L to about 15L now, after many samples (or maybe less, it's quite yummy)… :p

My OG was 1.58, and i'm using MJ's Burton Union.
I've used some caramunich 4%, and some cara ruby 6%, apart from that, it's all various pale malts with some vienna and munich.

Basically, I've started to direct fire mash, without a false bottom, but I only use a tiny flame and stir quite well in the small area where the flame hits the pot. I keep the mash within 2º of my desired temp, in this case 65.5º. So when the mash hits around 64.5º I fire up, (again a tiny flame), then as soon as the mash hits 65.5º I turn off the gas and put the lid on. So the mash never rose over say 66º, all the while making sure there's no scorching. The mash efficiency on this one was 73%.
The only other mash I've used this direct fire technique was a BIG belgian, and this is still fermenting, but has already reached 89% attenuation with another Mangrove Jack's yeast - M27. That one had a mash efficiency of 79%.

I realised I may have under-pitched this batch also (1 packet), but I have since pitched another packet of Burtons into the fermenter with no movement in 4 days now…. well, I 'say' pitched, it was sprinkled from the packed, so perhaps there was no oxygen for these guys to start off, but I'm starting to think maybe I've just reached FG??

When it slowed and stopped (on the 11th day in primary), after the second consecutive reading at 1.023, i threw in some yeast nutrient and gave it all a stir without splashing. After another 4 days it hadn't shifted, so i sprinkled another packet of M79 in some kind of panic coma, didn't rehydrate (ting tong). that's a 60% attenuation, is that normal for Burton? this is my first time using it.

The initial cooled wort was oxygenated like a mother focker, and I added a good teaspoon of yeast nutrient with 5 mins left in the boil...
The airlock was chucking a wobbly after 4 hours of pitching and it took off like a rocket. The fastest I've ever seen!
Initial temp was 18.6º, after 3 days I started taking it up to 20.1º, in daily .3º increments.

I'm not sure what else to add, it tastes smashing at this point, even if a tad sweetish…
If I bottle now, I could end up with precious sticky floorboards.

any suggestions kind folks?
Thanking you in advance

[EDIT] ah yes, a good reason to not drink and brew… going through my notes now, this batch actually had a 2 hour boil also… many 'first time' aspects to this batch, first time direct fire mashing, using Burton Union, boiling so long, also using cara ruby… many variables :(

Latest posts

Back