ESB brewing Fresh Worts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendercaster

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just seeing what other peoples thoughts are on the ESB brand (local to the NSW sydney area) fresh worts and Can kits?
I have had a little experience with them so far that has left me and my brews a little deflated.
I gave the "All in one" cans a go.(prepackaged cans for what style you want, just add to 19lt of water and add yeast) I Picked up a wheat beer and a Extra S Bitter. Both fermented out fine but to date are the only brews i have not liked (actually ended up turfing 5lt of the wheat because i could drink anymore, also i had another brew ready and needed a keg). The flavor was Tart, not really sour. I pride myself on cleanliness, scrubbing, rinsing and then sterilizing. The Flavor was quite pronounced, exactly the same across both of the brews.
More recently i Have purchased some fresh worts from them. (due to doing bathroom renovations i have limited time) These have brewed out completely at 21c using US05 with a nice dry finish, but the reason i am writing this is that they lack flavor, a lot.
Galaxy pale ale (I did 2 of these, as a comparison with yeasts 05 dry and 001 liquid) and Australian pale ale are the current ones used. I and others are both struggling to find anything close to hop flavors, or malts. Best i can describe is its just a dry beer. I know if i want flavor or other things i need to mash and cook my own, but i feel a little ripped off when i pay $45 each and saying Galaxy PA, when i cant even tell if it is Galaxy. In comparison, my local brewery does them and i cannot recommend them enough. Exactly as the Labels say and have been a hit with visitors, And Brewers selection have been good too.
Really this thread is to see if anyone else has had this, have they tried anything else? Or am i a fussy little mummys boy with a beer drinking hipster complex.
Cheers

I haven't tried the ESb brand but have had a number of FWKs and anything Pale needs a fair dose of dry hops to get some character.
I find the darker beers better and usually dont dilute them the full amount. A 15 L FWK usually asks for 5L of water but I find 2.5-3L is better.
You could also steep some spec grains in the top up water if you want to boost the malts a bit.

Droopy Brew said:
I haven't tried the ESb brand but have had a number of FWKs and anything Pale needs a fair dose of dry hops to get some character.
I find the darker beers better and usually dont dilute them the full amount. A 15 L FWK usually asks for 5L of water but I find 2.5-3L is better.
You could also steep some spec grains in the top up water if you want to boost the malts a bit.
Ok true, i did dry Hop with The galaxy, but only put in 20g. didnt do much but i understnd. i may have to give the ol Steeped grains a go next time!!
Thanks

They have changed their supplier in the last few months for their fwk.
The old ones were a bit lax in the quality department.
I can't fault the new ones.
I like the basic porter dry hopped to the max and using a Belgian yeast.

I'm a fan of their service. I buy all my stuff from them and get it delivered but I am off their fwk. I got the new 11.5 litre black IPA and it's og was 1036. Way under what it should be for the money. And that was with added 1 litre Less water than the instructions said.

It's actually a tasty beer at 4% but not what I wanted to buy or what was advertised. I emailed them about it and never heard back.

mongey said:
I'm a fan of their service. I buy all my stuff from them and get it delivered but I am off their fwk. I got the new 11.5 litre black IPA and it's og was 1036. Way under what it should be for the money. And that was with added 1 litre Less water than the instructions said.

It's actually a tasty beer at 4% but not what I wanted to buy or what was advertised. I emailed them about it and never heard back.
Actually you brought up a good point too. I have found these also to be down on the abv. Most finish approx around 4% mark. Watered down? Not sure. Any how im probably not going to purchase any for a while.

I used to buy the ESB big cans about ten years ago because they were much better than the other kits. The bock was particularly good. The quality went down over the years. I bought the last can about 5 years ago and decided that it wasn't worth the money. You're better off with a couple of cans of liquid malt, some hops and a kilo of grain to steep. Just roll your own.

I bought their 3kg can to make an English IPA. It was ok. I did add some magnum & EK Goldings hops to it.

Having said that, Andrew was a great help to me as I made a partial mash recipe for an American Brown ale this week. Which he gave me some good input on.

Latest posts

Back