Whats Worse Than An Infected Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Damn, just tipped out 44L of beer - the porter and middie in my sig. Devastated.

They looked alright until the last few days, only been down for 2 weeks. Probably a combination of the hot weather and me not running conventional airlocks.

Well, next batch I put down will be sterilsed to all hell and back and will most certainly have an airlock. Son of a gun I'm irritated.

Anywho, glad I got that off my chest. Wish me luck on the next batch guys.

Cheers - boingk

Damn, just tipped out 44L of beer - the porter and middie in my sig. Devastated.

They looked alright until the last few days, only been down for 2 weeks. Probably a combination of the hot weather and me not running conventional airlocks.

Well, next batch I put down will be sterilsed to all hell and back and will most certainly have an airlock. Son of a gun I'm irritated.

Cheers - boingk

What was wrong with them boingk? bad taste? smell? Did you discover in the fermenter or the keg/bottle?

Flakish, translucent white layer over the brews, and a sharp, vinegary smell. There were elements of the smell evident as a taste, along with a thinner body than expected. I discovered it in the fermenter just before I was about to bottle, as I was taking the FG.

Flakish, translucent white layer over the brews, and a sharp, vinegary smell. There were elements of the smell evident as a taste, along with a thinner body than expected. I discovered it in the fermenter just before I was about to bottle, as I was taking the FG.

I know your pain. I fermented out a blonde ale which i suspected was infected. racked it to keg yesterday, and still looks bad. I hoped it might clean up after ferment. looks like its also destined for the drain. And to make matters worse I finished an apa in keg last night leaving me with no brews to drink :(

Sounds like the dreaded acetobacter...

Did you have a source of oxygen with the airlocks?

I hate tipping beer :(

2009_06_16_beer.jpg

Damn hughyg, thats not fun. I've got something over 100L of beer hanging around, most of it ready to drink. Gotta brew more, though, so I've got a fully 6-week aged supply constantly ready to go. I've been bloody slack this year.

Nick JD - I agree, its happened before but not for quite a while. I've just come back from the shops with new grommets and an airlock to replace my lost one, as well as some sodium met. I reckon it'll be all good now ;D

Cheers guys, and killer photo Hopping! - boingk

Damn hughyg, thats not fun. I've got something over 100L of beer hanging around, most of it ready to drink. Gotta brew more, though, so I've got a fully 6-week aged supply constantly ready to go. I've been bloody slack this year.

Nick JD - I agree, its happened before but not for quite a while. I've just come back from the shops with new grommets and an airlock to replace my lost one, as well as some sodium met. I reckon it'll be all good now ;D

Cheers guys, and killer photo Hopping! - boingk

I seriously nuked my brewery with a strong caustic then citric rinse followed by a hydrogen peroxide based surface sterilent. Hopefully killed off the nasties. I see that the weekend is bringing a cool change in Adelaide, so Im thinking of a double brew day (one being a weizen).

Cheers - boingk

I hear ya, boingk! Had to do the same just this afternoon. Bloody hurts too. Can't get that damn smell out of my nostrils either......

Good luck for the next batch.

Ramu

Ask Tony about it, maybe he'll be able to offer some help on getting through the difficult times :)

Latest posts

Back