Whats The Best Beer You Have Had?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curoious on what you thought was the best beer you have had not including homebrew?

Its always interesting reading these threads. Mostly due to the subjective nature of it all...

For me, in regards to the above criteria, I would be looking for something that rocked my world, but that I could drink several of, several days in a row. Also, I think it is relative, and the more I have got into AG brewing the less I have been rocked back on my heels by commercial beers (you did say "not including homebrew").

Coming from a fantastically bogan VB and Jim Beam background, I'd have to say that the first time I had Little Creatures Bright Ale (however many years ago it was...), I fell in love. Sure there are more exciting, more adventurous, hoppier, this-ier, that-ier beers, but that beer will always have a vey special place in my heart... I haven't bought one for about 12 months, but my memories of it are fantastic haha...

edit: however if we look at more recent candidates instead of purely relative and circumstantial, I'd include chimay blue definitely. Other than that, with ruling out homebrews I'm lost. I have drunk an enormous amount of fantastic homebrew since Jan (mostly NOT my own haha).

Murrays Imperious with Rochefort 10 & Leffe Vieille Cuvee not too far behind :icon_drool2:

Too hard, but Brewdog/ Stone Bashah and Rochefort 10 would definately be up there. :)

The 'Best beer' ever is probably very situation driven and probably doesn't reflect so much on the beer.. as there has been many.

What beer would I have if I could have any - SNPA [FRESH]

Simple man I am.

This was not the 'best beer' I have ever had, but certainly was one of the most enjoyable.

Vanuatu Tusker whilst sitting on deck of a chartered cruiser/yacht travelling to a remote pacific island beach for some lunch and snorkelling all whilst enjoying your 40th birthday,

sometimes the location is everything :icon_cheers:

Overall hands down it would have to be Cantillion Gueuze 100% Lambic Bio.

There are so many other beers that come so close, especially when you start breaking them down into favourite beers by style, or country.

Right up there would be
Nogne-0 batch #100
Stone Ruination IPA
Murrays Anniversary Ale 1
Rochefort 10
Unibroue - Trois Pisoles

I better stop before the list blows out

can not fault this one, perfect was what came to mind
4975.jpg

this as above
ommegang-hennepin.gif

Nikko beer, from Japan.. The best damn beer I have ever had the privilege to drink especially after the wife sprayed sun-screen in my eyes whilst on our honeymoon in Japan. Def a country I would live in.. well up until the nuclear ****-out...

In NZ definitely Black Mac - especially draught, in Oz Fat Yak!

Hargreaves Hill ESB c.2008/9

Adnams Extra c.1995

Batemans' Louth Festival Ale c.1993

Timothy Taylor Landlord 2000-01

Castle Rock *something or other* Bitter 2001

Hofbrauhaus, Munich. Yeah, its a little touristy - but the ghosts are still there.
Opened with half a liter of weiss.
Washed down a Wurstplatte with a stein of Spaten lager.
Rounded out the evening with 1L each of Dunkel and the house beer.
Danced briefly on the way back from the toilet with some traditionally attired Frau as the oompah band scorched through another Polka.
Top night.

Dunkel (left) Hofbrauhaus (right). Tried to re capture the magic, but every euro lager I've made has been rubbish.

DSC00983.jpg

can not fault this one, perfect was what came to mind

ommegang-hennepin.gif

That's the NY Saison? I had one of them recently in the 'States. Was freakin awesome. Bout 8%, tasted like pears? Mmmmmm.

US has good taste in beer. This was the place I tasted that Saison: it's on the left row about halfway down. $5 a bottle. Australia is a beer-drinker's HELL. Check out the fuckin menu - these are eating-out prices, not bottlo.

IMG_2036.jpg

Had a pint of bridge rds - bling IPA the other day, man i loved it

That's the NY Saison? I had one of them recently in the 'States. Was freakin awesome. Bout 8%, tasted like pears

Yep that's the one, had it at the Astoria beer garden in Queens NY, was one of those beer moments where you just sit back and say wow

Couldn't name one, here's my greatest hits though;

Brewdog Tokyo, St Bernardus ABT 12, 3Ravens Double Barrel (Smoky pinot one), Mountain Goat Pale*, Liefmans Goudenband, Traquair Jacobite, Emerson's Tairei George 2011.

*deceased. :(

Latest posts

Back