What's Taking So Long

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucko

Reaction score
:( Hello fellow brewers,
I have a situation for you all to comment on.
Last Monday i put down a Cooper's IPA. I did everything how i normally do things. I rehydrated the yeast, it was foaming up, eveything was looking good. I added the yeast to the fermenter when the wort was 22-24 degrees. I then sealed up and put in my hot box with a setpoint of 18. Now i would have expexted it to be going bloop bloop the following day, but, nothing. I then shook it a little and bumped up temp to 20 and left for another day, only to be disspointed again. Thought that maybe there was a leak and took a gravity reading, but, gravity had not moved at all. Checked it today, airlock has moved to one side and gravity had dropped from SG 1046 to 1040, so it must be doing something. I was getting ready to add another packet of yeast, but, i don't know now.....

Any thoughts?

Bucko.

If the gravity is dropping then it's fermenting, I'd say you have a gas leak. Pitching another yeast wont do any harm, but if you don't have to, why waste it

Sounds like a leak...check that the lid is on tight enough. Also have a look at the bottom on the fermenter and see if there is any trub (sludge) at the bottom of it...this is a sure sign of fermentation activity as is krausen on the top of the wort. (just do a google image search for krausen if you don't know what I mean).

don't worry...if there is a pressure difference in the airlock and the gravity is dropping then there is fermentation happening.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Last Monday i put down a Cooper's IPA. I did everything how i normally do things. I rehydrated the yeast, it was foaming up, eveything was looking good. I added the yeast to the fermenter when the wort was 22-24 degrees. I then sealed up and put in my hot box with a setpoint of 18. Now i would have expexted it to be going bloop bloop the following day, but, nothing. I then shook it a little and bumped up temp to 20 and left for another day, only to be disspointed again. Thought that maybe there was a leak and took a gravity reading, but, gravity had not moved at all. Checked it today, airlock has moved to one side and gravity had dropped from SG 1046 to 1040, so it must be doing something. I was getting ready to add another packet of yeast, but, i don't know now.....

Any thoughts?

Bucko.

Hi Bucko, Ive had this happen. Id say just give it a chance at this stage, no need to panic yet. Fermentation is definitely happening to some degree. Sometimes you get a lazy starter, you may find it will build up a head of steam and get going full blast . If you give it another couple of days providing your sanitation was good it'll be fine or you can then pitch again later if req'd. Sometimes a variant of temp between starter and wort can slow things a bit at kick off this may be the cause but only a guess. Rely on your hydometer not the air lock bubbling is probably best advice. Good luck with it.Be patient. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Rely on your hydometer not the air lock bubbling is probably best advice. Good luck with it.Be patient. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies. :D
Good news, checked it this morning and heard that wonderfull sound of "bloop bloop".
I have read somewhere that it's the yeast that determines the timing of your brew, how true is that. I have had liquid yeast that has taken it's time to work, but, first time with dried yeast. Especially after rehydrating it.

Good advice Daz. When I saw a bit of movement in my hydrometer, I started to relax just a touch.

"Patience the essential quality of man" - Kwai-Koo-Tsu

:beer:
Cheers,
Bucko

If it helps anybody at all.
I apply a little keg lube to the seal on the fermenter which helps in the sealing problem.

Did you aerate it?
Most of my brews start quickly but take a long time to ferment. I think poor aeration is the reason why now.
I heard dave fom Wyeast say you need 4 min of rocking a fermenter, (or an aeration stone for 30 sec) to give the yeast enough oxygen to get to work.

Did you aerate it?
Most of my brews start quickly but take a long time to ferment. I think poor aeration is the reason why now.
I heard dave fom Wyeast say you need 4 min of rocking a fermenter, (or an aeration stone for 30 sec) to give the yeast enough oxygen to get to work.

Yeah, I think this might have been part of the problem. I normally use a fairly hard hose to fill to encourage a bit of frothing, but, I have been getting very high S.G. readings, eg 1080+. Thought I would try a gentle fill, but, still had a little foaming. Got a more realistic S.G. of 1046. Maybe just not enough aeration.

As for my lid, I'll definately give the lube a go for my screw tops. But, thi one I used my bucket fermenter. I even put glad wrap around it to make sure.

Anyway, all is good now. Bubbling away like a champion.

Thanks again peoples.

Bucko. :party: Go Wallabies.........

g'day
hey bucko and all
i use food grade silicone on my seal and around my grommet
it comes in an aerosol can . never have sealing probs
just gotta get my bottles to hold there gas
i am going to recarbonate my stout bucko
have fun

Any thoughts?

Bucko.

You forgot to tell everyone about your girlie/nana arms that trouble you when trying to tighten the lid on fermenter. B)

Back