What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody hell! 100 posts to a thread I started, am I famous yet? I catch up on this thread through the new posts email I get but today I actually went to the Beer Food section and went in from there and found out it had been viewed 984 times. Foodies and beer lovers unite I say!

Tonight I am eating one of my wife's experimental things. Her version of scotch egg with pork mince. Pics will follow if it doesn't look awful.

Cheers and beers and food.
H

Recipe please.......that looks bloody delicious Katie
Cheers
Steve

We cheated on that one Steve, its a paste. One of our favourite things to do on a Sunday is go to Dim Sum and next door is a Asian grocer, my partner, daughter and I all get a basket and grab things, spices, chilli sauces etc.... This paste was one that Verity grabbed. So we cooked it together. It did have home made chicken stock, garlic chives, shallots, garlic and ginger and chicken wings and coconut milk. We were all impressed! Will be grabbing that again.

This was last night's meal. We have found out the local Woollies has fresh shipments of salmon on friday morning so as we were in town we grabbed some and some octopus which was marinated in olive oil, chili,garlic,oregano,salt and pepper. If you ever see this plum wine at Dan Murphy's and don't mind a sweet fruity liquer with your meal grab a bottle, it's lush. The brand is Choya and the stuff is called Umeshu.

salmondinner.jpg

We have been getting beautiful flame grilled salmon negiri from our local sushi place so decided to give it a whack with my old heatshrink gun I used to use illegally for telstra,. shhhhhhhh.....
salmonflame.jpg
salmonflame2.jpg

This was last night's meal. We have found out the local Woollies has fresh shipments of salmon on friday morning so as we were in town we grabbed some and some octopus which was marinated in olive oil, chili,garlic,oregano,salt and pepper. If you ever see this plum wine at Dan Murphy's and don't mind a sweet fruity liquer with your meal grab a bottle, it's lush. The brand is Choya and the stuff is called Umeshu.

View attachment 29953

We have been getting beautiful flame grilled salmon negiri from our local sushi place so decided to give it a whack with my old heatshrink gun I used to use illegally for telstra,. shhhhhhhh.....
View attachment 29954
View attachment 29955

show off :p

Made chinese stlye chicken omelettes with oyster sauce and fried rice last nice :icon_drool2: they were pretty yummo
Picture208.jpg

Aww come on. :eek: If all your pastries isn't showing off what is? :p Pastry cooking is real cooking where things have to be measured. Even Jamie Oliver admits he gets the scales out when it's anything to do with cakes or pastries.

I'm using an old tool I had kicking around in the shed to brown some bloody salmon!

Made chinese stlye chicken omelettes with oyster sauce and fried rice last nice :icon_drool2: they were pretty yummo

Did you add anything to the oyster sauce? I find it a bit too sweet straight out of the bottle. I reckon there's some magical chemicals added to the oyster sauce that goes on the omelettes at Chinese restaurants.

Aww come on. :eek: If all your pastries isn't showing off what is? :p Pastry cooking is real cooking where things have to be measured. Even Jamie Oliver admits he gets the scales out when it's anything to do with cakes or pastries.

I'm using an old tool I had kicking around in the shed to brown some bloody salmon!

Did you add anything to the oyster sauce? I find it a bit too sweet straight out of the bottle. I reckon there's some magical chemicals added to the oyster sauce that goes on the omelettes at Chinese restaurants.
  • Sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dry sherry
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Take or leave the sugar.I also added some chicken stock,just be carfull with the stock as its pretty salty to start with

Excellent. That one will go in the data base. We often mix soy with oyster sauce but I think the addition of the dry sherry and the sesame will be the secret.

Thanks heaps.

You will have to excuse any spelling errors here... I'm fini8shing off a rather nice bottle ofg Pinot right now so I am in a very happy place.

Tonight's dinner - Lamb shank tagine with ginger, preserved lemon and peas. Served with buttered couscous and bread. Ansd a very nice bottel of pinot.

IMG_1032_1.JPG

Dessert (thanks to SWMBO) Basbousa. A middle eastern semolina ans almond cake drenched in a lemon syryup.

IMG_1033_1.JPG

Served with yoghurt and strawberries. yum.

IMG_1035_1.JPG

Pork Pocket with a cherry, almond stuffing.
Show off! :p

Reading a very interesting book about charcuterie at the moment Katie. My sausage making may get serious. A few little pigs and ducks may be raised on the back of our property. Ever herd of confit de canard? Well it may be confit de cochon as well. Supposed to be deebloodylish.

Katie - what kind of cut is that Pork?

Heres our dinner last night. Beef casserole with dumplings.

IMG_0050.JPG

Great for a cold winters night

Cheers
Steve

P.S. My wife thought I was strange taking pics of my beer. Now she thinks im worse taking pics of our food!

Back