What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show off! :p

Reading a very interesting book about charcuterie at the moment Katie. My sausage making may get serious. A few little pigs and ducks may be raised on the back of our property. Ever herd of confit de canard? Well it may be confit de cochon as well. Supposed to be deebloodylish.

stop it... try to get little girl pigs... better tasting.

Katie - what kind of cut is that Pork?

Not sure, I think its a loin. It was very very good. It was done on the bbq only took under 1 hour. Home made cherry sauce went over the top.

Heres our dinner last night. Beef casserole with dumplings.

View attachment 30078

Great for a cold winters night

Cheers
Steve

P.S. My wife thought I was strange taking pics of my beer. Now she thinks im worse taking pics of our food!

Ive never made dumplings.

Sate Beef and Chinese vege tonight. If the photograph well it will posted tommorow!

Katie
could i please have the recpie for the Ma Po Tofu dish?
Id like to make it for my Girlfriend. She is a vego so id do it with out the meat.
Is that a Chinies? Korean? Thai?...other...dish?

Katie
could i please have the recpie for the Ma Po Tofu dish?
Id like to make it for my Girlfriend. She is a vego so id do it with out the meat.
Is that a Chinies? Korean? Thai?...other...dish?

Its chinese (Sichuan)...

be careful with the tofu as it will break apart without the mince to protect it.

1 block soft tofu (about 1 pound), drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons peanut oil
6 ounces ground pork
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 spring onions
2 1/2 tablespoons chili bean paste
1 tablespoon fermented black beans
2 teaspoons ground Sichuan pepper
1 cup chicken stock (use vegetarian chicken stock)
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
Salt to taste
4 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 6 tablespoons cold water

Optional garnish: 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions, or 1/2 teaspoon crushed roasted Sichuan peppercorn

Heat peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Add pork and stir-fry until crispy and starting to brown but not yet dry. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and leeks and stir-fry until fragrant. Add chili bean paste, black beans, and ground Sichuan pepper, and stir-fry for about 1 minute, until the oil is a rich red color.

Pour in the stock and stir well. Mix in the drained tofu gently by pushing the back of your ladle or wok scoop gently from the edges to the center of the wok or pan; don't stir or the tofu may break up. Season with the sugar, soy sauce, and salt to taste. Simmer for about 5 minutes, allowing the tofu has absorb the flavors of the sauce. Then add the cornstarch mixture in 2 or 3 stages, mixing well, until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. (Don't add more than you need). Serve while still hot in a deep plate or wide bowl. Garnish with optional scallions or crushed Sichuan peppercorn.

Also try this:

Spicy Sichuan Eggplant

Serves 4 as part of multi-course meal

1 1/2 pounds Asian eggplant
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons chili bean paste
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons dark rice vinegar
1 tablespoon yellow rice wine
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorn, or 1 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish

Slice each eggplant in half lengthwise, then slice each length into quarters.

In a small bowl, mix together chicken stock, chili bean paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, and sugar. Set aside.

In a wok, heat oil until just smoking. Add eggplants and stir-fry until outsides become golden brown and insides begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in stock-sauce mixture and mix well. Allow sauce to simmer for 2 minutes and eggplant to absorb sauce. Stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken sauce. Remove from heat, plate, and garnish with scallions.

Katie Thanks you soooooooooo much for both of them recpies! they sound AMAZING!
This thread is making me so hungry!

steve - good old faashioned english inspired stew/casserole with dumpling. fantastic.

yeah it was very tasty, couldve done with a bit more liquid but I had to dash out to get a keg of beer from Peteoz77 and left 'er in doors in charge. She made the dumplings. They were great. First time here too Katie. Got the recipe out of a little booklet that came with a New Idea magazine. 37 weeknight warmers its called. And no it wasnt my magazine, knicked it out of my mother in laws magazine.
Cheers
Steve

I reckon its a great thread!

Cheers
Steve

Yeah I reckon everybody that enjoys this thread should send one hundred dollars to the person that started it. Either that or some of these meals!

got home about 7:30 from work last night. figure its too late to eat, so this was my dinner..... 3 pints of my King Brown (failed IPA)

IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg

full of hoppy goodness. nom nom nom nom.

edit: the pint glass did sit on the table for a short while, so it still meets the criteria of 'whats on the table'.

Only three pints CM2...

Sate Beef and Chinese vegetables

Its not the Indonesian sate with peanut sauce the base is made out of soy beans. Its a regular thing on our dinner table!

beef_sate_001.jpg

Cheers Katie

there was none left for work today!

That looks great Katie, makes me want to change tonights dinner plans to Sate Beef and Chinese Vege's mmmmmmm...

Any chance of a recipe (or is it listed in an earlier post?)

Cheers SJ

That looks great Katie, makes me want to change tonights dinner plans to Sate Beef and Chinese Vege's mmmmmmm...

Any chance of a recipe (or is it listed in an earlier post?)

Cheers SJ

Ok this is going from memory. This is my mum's recipe

1kg beef (I used oyster blade) cut into strips

Marinade:
1 1/2 teaspoons of soy
2 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of cornflour
2 tablespoon of water
Pepper

Let marinade while you drink beer

Now for the sauce:

The special ingredient you MUST have is

Jimmy Sate (see picture below)

3 teaspoons of jimmy sate
1 teaspoon of curry powder
1 garlic clove chopped
1 medium onion
2 teaspoon of Chinese cooking wine
Salt
2 tablespoon water
2 teaspoon of soy
teaspoon of sugar

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in wok, brown beef. Take out.

Now fry onion, garlic add beef. Then add the sauce and cook until hot!

You can get Jimmy Sate in most good chinese grocers. Once discovered you will always have some in fridge. You wont have a problem getting it in Melbourne. Chinese vege, was just stir fried with garlic, chicken stock and oyster sauce.

jimmys_sate_sauce.JPG

You will be a jimmy fan in no time... dip your finger in when you get home!

I love the Jimmy satay paste. Always have a jar of it at home.

Cheers
Dave

Found the jimmy sate paste, tasted it, cooked with it, love it!!!!

Cheers SJ

GRRRRR! I dont think I can get it up here.....

PM me your address Henno and I will send you some...
WHAAA???? From Freo? You're a champ to offer Katie but I don't think that would be the most financially viable sate paste in the world :lol:

I'll track it down from Brissy somehow.

Latest posts

Back