Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from my cloudy IPA series

Bring a Friend IPA

6.5% ABV and 50 Ibu

35% Pilsner
30% Wheat
30% Oats
5% Light Crystal

mashed at 66c for 1 hour

Sulphate forward at ratio of 2:1

90Min Boil

FWH - Citra = 25ibu
30Min - Citra/Mosaic = 15ibu
Whirlpool @ end of boil - Citra/ Mosaic 3.5g per L ( combined ) Commence chill with IC after 5 mins of whirlpool and lock in those flavours. Takes about 5 mins to drop from 99c to 60c with the IC.

Dry Hopped with Citra / Mosaic twice each time with 5g per L ( 2.5 Citra, 2.5 Mosaic ) - so total dry hop is 10g per L
  1. first dry hop at active high krausen, like a NEIPA beer
  2. second dry hop when yeast activity is close to terminal gravity
Yeast = Danstar West Coast Ale BRY97 @ 19c

Its not a NEIPA style beer but you get some of that biotransformation from the 1st hop addition. Its intentionally cloudy and soft on the palate but leaves a good firm bitterness that says "IPA"

She is pungent on the nose, soft on the palate with hoppy flavour and bittering finish, fkn perfect!!

upload_2019-6-27_11-31-1.png

After a hard day in the green house planting out all my summer seedlings time for a Double Chance Bitter clone. Poured through the hand pump, which incidentally (from what I recently read in a BYO article) is almost like a nitro pour, being the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. What more could you want.
001.JPG 003.JPG
I wonder what the poor people are doing.

What did you sub for the honey malt (unless you actually got your hands on some)?

Quoting as i am also interested. See so many NEIPA recipes using honey malt but i can't say i have ever seen it here. last time i did one i just increased the base malt to compensate, but then my fridge broke and the fermentation got screwed and it tastes horrible anyway.

What did you sub for the honey malt (unless you actually got your hands on some)?

Just did 80% pale, 10% raw wheat, 10% oats. Funnily enough when I brew it again I'll mash 1.5 degrees higher or add some light crystal. It was a tiny bit to dry for me and to style if I was to be picky. Otherwise it's an absolute cracker.

60D52791-B58A-410C-8D71-3AD5642DA1F5.jpg

An esb style malt profile with a touch of galaxy dry hop fermented with Gejernes kveik. I learned something with this beer... You don't filter out chill haze if you filter it too warm.

Looked clear when I filtered and this is a couple of hours after where the haze is back, very hazy now it has chilled right down.

View attachment 116189

An esb style malt profile with a touch of galaxy dry hop fermented with Gejernes kveik. I learned something with this beer... You don't filter out chill haze if you filter it too warm.

Looked clear when I filtered and this is a couple of hours after where the haze is back, very hazy now it has chilled right down.
I tend to drink mine on the warm side, 12 to 15 C I presume it was from a keg, strong ales I bottle, weaker ales I will cask. Tonight I am drinking my Lees 1910 clone using Veloria malt, beautifully clear but I made a rookie mistake when bottling and that was the bulk prime wasn't distributed evenly, found out when I drank the dregs after I had bottled, sweet as.

Quoting as i am also interested. See so many NEIPA recipes using honey malt but i can't say i have ever seen it here. last time i did one i just increased the base malt to compensate, but then my fridge broke and the fermentation got screwed and it tastes horrible anyway.
Just letting you guys know that Hop & Grain in Marrickville have honey malt in stock right now. This is not a paid advertisement. I was in there yesterday and saw it in stock. A rare sighting indeed.

5B48D1A3-8C99-445F-A1E2-7CE42C00D760.jpeg
Used up some leftover bits and pieces, bit of honey and some Saunders malt extract haha, 70 grams of falconers flight I had left over....dumped on a yeast cake so a bit of an experiment really. Quite tasty!

Double Chance Bitter clone with all Williamette hops really like the slight bitter aftertaste of this one.
Trivia. Did you know that a pregnant woman has a heightened sense of bitterness to enable her to taste toxins, and breast milk has an additive produced by the woman's body to reduce bitterness so the baby doesn't reject the milk. And the taste buds of a baby encompasses the whole of the mouth.
National Geographic hospital waiting room. :)
003.JPG 005.JPG

Why has no-one posted new beer in four months?
What has happened here...

Latest posts

Back