Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A celebration brew with the cause of the celebration. AIPA that won the IPA section at the GABF in Geelong. No idea how many entered but it got a 40.5 from Tom Champion, Head Brewer at Little Creatures in Geelong. Previous incarnation of this beer won the IPA category at the Nats so it can't be too bad. Nice bit of bling to stop the Brewmate print-outs flying away.

12983889533_6fe6701909.jpg

Pratty1 said:
SMaSH

JW trad ale
Simcoe

how did you hop this one? Times and grams.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394097290.022985.jpg
5.00 kg

Joe White traditional ale (5.9 EBC)

Grain

100.0 %

14.00 g

Simcoe [13.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

22.8 IBUs

19.00 g

Simcoe [13.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Hop

18.8 IBUs

0.28 tsp

Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)

Fining

-

20.00 g

Simcoe [13.40 %] - dry hop at 5 days

Hop

0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg

Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]

Yeast

-

Liam_snorkel said:
what is it?
a terrible one that's been sitting in the back of the fridge only being opened as i've run out of beer. a sem sav. not the worst, but by no means the best haha

jyo Bock

IMG_0429.JPG

(at least I'm pretty sure it is, I vaguely remember the dodgy remains of the bottle label)

The magic lagering fridge has been no match for the haze in this one. Apart from that, it is a pretty decent example of the style. A little oxidation but that is pretty hard to eliminate in big dark lagers, especially in six month old bottles. Clean otherwise, good balance and easy drinking - no hint of strong alcohol - some agreeable munich malt on the nose. I'll gladly finish the bottle. Thanks.

Haha, yep it's the Bock, mate. I actually poured a pint about 2 months ago and thought meh and then left it alone again. Funny thing is it's been really bright in the keg for about 4 months. All of the bottles versions have thrown massive haze. This has been a problem I can't fecking shake with many beers. They drop bright in the keg after a few weeks but the bottle conditioned versions throw haze- no matter how long they are lagered.

I still have about 1/4 of a keg of this left. Having one now and it's pretty damn tasty! (and bright :p ) Cheers, mate.

Belgian pale ale. This is the second beer I've made with 3787. First was a table beer, 2.5% and pretty good for a light beer, character. I put this on that yeast cake. Woah, the most character filled beer I think I have ever made. The aroma is of fruit cake/brandy, and there's also a nice ester in the aroma as well. Flavour is lots of fruit and again, a nice ester. No phenols at all really. Dry finish. Bloody nice beer. I'll be doing a strong golden ale with this and I'm happy I chose to try this yeast. Num num.

I'm quietly kicking myself I didn't bottle it. It should condition nicely in the keg but at 6.3% I really should have bottled it. Oh well, will brew again!

image.jpg

mje1980 said:
Belgian pale ale. This is the second beer I've made with 3787. First was a table beer, 2.5% and pretty good for a light beer, character. I put this on that yeast cake. Woah, the most character filled beer I think I have ever made. The aroma is of fruit cake/brandy, and there's also a nice ester in the aroma as well. Flavour is lots of fruit and again, a nice ester. No phenols at all really. Dry finish. Bloody nice beer. I'll be doing a strong golden ale with this and I'm happy I chose to try this yeast. Num num.

I'm quietly kicking myself I didn't bottle it. It should condition nicely in the keg but at 6.3% I really should have bottled it. Oh well, will brew again!
Dammed if I'm not going to pitch W3787 in a Belgian Pale this arvo, last batch using it had brown sugar, touch of bubblegum (all very understated) fruity notes, and dry finish. Very nice, but does need time.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Sail & Anchor - Christmas Ale is a reasonable attempt and they were offering freebies at Dans a while ago. I don't buy S&A beer on principle.
But when you buy there a S & A barley wine for only $5.90 as it is at the moment on clearance surely Dans or Sail and Anchor or woolworths or some one is taking a hit on it. Origional price was north of $20 a bottle and it comes in a freaking tin! So therefor you can buy it and feel good.
I've got two but haven't cracked one yet. Will do so soon.

Sample bottle of Apricot sour.
apricotsour.JPG
Sharp clean sourness upfront, light apricot flavour, followed by a dry slightly lingering tart finish - not sweet. I'll give the keg a few more weeks til cracking it, but it's pretty good now.
The only problem is that, although it pours with a massive head, retention is pretty poor (ahem) which seems common with sours.

5 month old Christmas Spiced Belgian Dubbel.

Beautiful Raisin flavours, and a nice spicy character that has subsided a bit since fresh (but still present, and very pleasant). The slight alcohol warmth it carried has mellowed a bit, disguising the 9% ABV hit it delivers. A very dangerous beer.

Lunch at Bridge Road today, India Saison and Bier-de-garde with sweet potato pizza.....all bloody good.

Interestingly while watching all the acion in the brewhouse...seemed like auite a lot, I notice '8 wired' scribbled in the box for todays brew schedule, I ask fella at table next to me who has been bouncing around like a super ball whats going on and he points me to 'some fella who's name I didn't catch' who is from 8 wired, and he tells me their brewing a brown ale, just spagring as we spoke, that will be brewed in 3 batches, 2 with ale yeasts and 1 with a wine yeast. Sounds interesting I say, are they gonna go in bottles for a limited release....no he says probably only on keg this batch and see how it goes. Fair enough.
Also noticed on the board that Wed and Thur are marked for HARVEST..new season fresh hop ale.
Place smelt ******* awesome, pizza was great and came home with an arm load of beers....great day. I love my wife's job.

Have photo's but can't get off phone.

DSC02804.JPG

Beez Neez vs Homemade Honey Wheat
(left) (right)

Like my little tasting glasses I got the other day at savers, 1 stubbie fits nicely into 2 glasses good for sharing with somebody.

mje1980 said:

What fermentation profile did you use with the 3787?

Hobgoblin Clone taste against the real thing...

Hobgoblin clone vs HG 001.JPG Hobgoblin clone vs HG 002.JPG Hobgoblin clone vs HG 003.JPG

Colour is a little under but only 2 or 3 points, taste and aroma is very close just not as punchy and vibrant as the HG and carb only just lighter.
My efficiency was a bit low which wouldn't have helped. Came out about 0.7% ABV lower. I was still dialling in the new tun.
Next time will be damn close I reckon.
The clone is certainly a tasty drop and easily the best pommy beer i've turned out.
I might call this the Little Goblin.

This is the recipe from TBN interview with the Wychwood head brewer as posted in What Are You Brewing recently.
Well worth having a crack at.

fletcher said:
morning beer mate? haha

looks amazing...care to post the recipe?
Haha, nah, took it in the arvo but posted it the next day.

I know you love Centennial.

Recipe: 42 - Amber Ale 2 - Centennial

OG - 1.049
FG - 1.015
ABv - 4.5%
IBU - 32
EBC - 63
BHE - 70%
Mash Eff - 91% ( based on 70% BHE )

70% - Weyermann Ale
10% - Weyermann Munich Malt
12% - Bairds Dark Caramalt (crystal 25L)
4% - Weyermann Caramunich T1(crystal 40L)
4% - Weyermann Cara Aroma (crystal 180L)

Centennial @ 30mins = 10ibu
Centennial @ 10mins = 10ibu
Centennial @ 5mins = 10ibu
Centennial @ Whirlpool 5mins = 2ibu ( this was 21grams )

Fermented with Wyeast 1450 - Denny's Fav

Dry Hopped 18g for 3days @ 18c - after fermentation was done.
Dry Hopped 18g for 3days @ 4c - cold crashed and added these hops

Mash Profile
70c for 60mins (this got the 1.015 final gravity for more body and malt character)
78c for 15mins ( mashout )

This is a Malt Forward beer using Calcium Chloride to 85ppm and keeping the Sulphate at 45ppm, actually went to high on the chloride, it should have been 65ppm :ph34r:

A small change id make is increase the dry hopping to 28g warm and 28g cool and for 5days each. The malt really is the show with this beer but the layering of the hops made it a nice change. oh and i would whirlpool for longer with more hops, thsi beer really lacked that solid Centennial Aroma and it was battling to compete with the malt with so many ppm of chloride.

Latest posts

Back