Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
winkle said:
Annnnd, the Smoked Robust Porter with robusta coffee infusion.
attachicon.gif
smoked.jpg
"Robusta Porter"
Looks nice and dark Perry. Well good on a cold, dry afternoon ;)

At least its under 6% for a pleasant change -_-

Something different

8HD_2868.JPG

My mother's own ginger beer. She ran out of regular beer some time earlier in the summer (I had been neglectful in my usual supply duties) and got desperate enough to start making her own booze. She started out with some dry bread yeast in the bottom of the tin that expired in 2011 - she puts it in a 2L jar with two tablespoons brown sugar and ginger powder respectively, water, and some crushed lime. She feeds it another couple spoons of sugar and ginger power each day over the next week. Fermented at Perth summertime indoor room temperature (30 plus). With the spoon just out of the sink, washed with the kitchen sponge no doubt. Some chux with a rubber band over the jar. No sanitation whatsoever.

The most surprising part is how drinkable these brews turn out to be. As you can see, she pours the jar into a PET bottle at the end of each run, and uses the yeast/ginger cake for the next batch. There is still enough fermentation left to strongly carbonate the bottles. I can only guess that the low pH of the lime addition helps keep the nasties at bay, and the gradual yeast feeding prevents the usual off flavours you would get from a normal hot ferment.

For xmas I gave her a vial of genuine ginger beer plant from the UK - the brews from that I like the best. The extra microbes generate a tartness and flavour that is very refreshing - no lime required. I want to try the plant + some brett in some kind of lambic style recipe sometime. She has also been using some ale yeast from one of the beers I have given her - which was sediment from a unsanitised coke bottle filled with an unsanitised CPBF - the 5th or so generation of that one actually got noticably infected, finally. Strangely she likes the ale yeast brews the best.

Trevandjo said:
Would you be able to share your recipe Fletch. It looks pretty good.

Thanks
Trev
sure thing mate.

ingredients:
3.38kg joe white traditional ale
220gm joe white wheat
200gm simpsons crystal 60
48gm pride of ringwood (pellets, 5.6 aa%, 60 mins)
11gm - danstar windsor british ale yeast
1 tablet whirlfloc
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient

process:
BIAB, 20L batch, single infusion, no sparge, mash in 65C for 90 mins, boiled 90 mins, chilled, 16C fermentation, 2C cold crash
OG: 1.044 (1.040 expected)
FG: 1.014 (1.008 expected) - windsor conked out but was still very nice
%AbV: 4% and 4.5% bottled (4.7-8% expected - bottled)
ibu: 32

more info here: http://sexyfuntimebrewing.weebly.com/pretty-ordinary-bitter.html

fletcher said:
sure thing mate.

ingredients:
3.38kg joe white traditional ale
220gm joe white wheat
200gm simpsons crystal 60
48gm pride of ringwood (pellets, 5.6 aa%, 60 mins)
11gm - danstar windsor british ale yeast
1 tablet whirlfloc
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient

process:
BIAB, 20L batch, single infusion, no sparge, mash in 65C for 90 mins, boiled 90 mins, chilled, 16C fermentation, 2C cold crash
OG: 1.044 (1.040 expected)
FG: 1.014 (1.008 expected) - windsor conked out but was still very nice
%AbV: 4% and 4.5% bottled (4.7-8% expected - bottled)
ibu: 32

more info here: http://sexyfuntimebrewing.weebly.com/pretty-ordinary-bitter.html
Thanks heaps.

First time I have achieved success using gelatine and it's as clear as I hoped. Its a Dr Smurto's golden ale. Love this recipe. 3rd attempt so far.

1393497621101.jpg

Because I had a shitty Monday, looks like the beer will continue to flow...

Now the ESB, I am running out of sunlight!

ESB.jpg

and now that I have run out of sunlight...

The Summer Weizen just after being poured (sorry for the poor light) and on the desk in front of the computer (with a lamp I also made this week).

weizen.jpg

IMG_20140303_201729.jpg

First attempt an IPA. It's a punk ipa clone. Still pretty green but couldn't wait to try it. Not as bitter or hoppy as I was hoping but still happy with the first attempt.

1394013574515.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
keeping it simple with a smash.

vienna/amarillo SMaSH

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.4
Bitterness (IBU): 44.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

100% Vienna

0.4 g/L Amarillo (8.4% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Amarillo (8.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 70 Minutes

Fermented at 16°C with S189

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
aydos said:
Tell me how this goes Liam, looks delicious!
I don't often filter but when I do I'm usually glad about it. <3 polyclar.

Tastes pretty damn good. I should have gone harder with the dry hopping but I'd ran outta Amarillo. Might drop something in the keg this weekend. A very sessionabe beer taste-wise. Probably something which could turn a mega swiller. Particularly since I've got it in my favourite Hahn super dry glass :D

EDIT: added picture again.

IMG_8501.JPG

Hi Liam, How'd you find the S189 in an IPA?

Reason I ask is that I had some lager yeast (WY2007) leftover from a pilsner, and just dumped an APA on top of it. Thought I'd give it a crack, and save on yeast.
Samples taste good so far.

Well I really just intended this to be a session beer and it hits that mark perfectly. FG was around 1.010, it has a kind of biscuity malty profile but not chewy at all. The calculated IBU was a bit off, tastes more like 30. Plenty of hop flavour but the aroma is muted. I just dropped 20g of wai-iti into the keg which will add some aroma and a kind of lemon juice bitterness (from prior experience). It was my first experience with an actual lager yeast and I like it, just pitched some slurry on a 100% munich thing with motueka and riwaka, will see how that goes.

Liam_snorkel said:
I don't often filter but when I do I'm usually glad about it. <3 polyclar.

Tastes pretty damn good. I should have gone harder with the dry hopping but I'd ran outta Amarillo. Might drop something in the keg this weekend. A very sessionabe beer taste-wise. Probably something which could turn a mega swiller. Particularly since I've got it in my favourite Hahn super dry glass :D

EDIT: added picture again.

attachicon.gif
IMG_8501.JPG
That looks great, I hope you don't ruin it by doing something silly like keg hopping with wai-iti.
Opps :p

Back