Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAM_1603_1.JPG

Brown Porter. Getting a little vanilla coming through, with subtle chocolate/coffee flavours. Can't wait to have this with a hearty winter meal (Steak and Kidney... :icon_drool2: )

Batz said:
Farm House Saison, I couldn't be happier with this.
I love the illegal pokie in the background. Had one of those but no longer, sold on the black market...
Nice beer too.

20140213_194336.jpg

A bit of a story to this one. It was my Rock n Granite Saison, brewed with Galaxy.

But I brewed this (from memory) sometime in mid-late September, before I went on a holiday. Procrastinated bottling it for a long time (as happens to a kegger that needs to regress to bottling).

Bottled this at the end of January, so it spent a few months in the fermenter.

As such it has lost all of its Galaxy-ness. And the real Saisonness is pretty much gone too. So it's now a good dry Aussie bitter, rather than anything exotic.

And dead clear from the bottle. There is the faintest of pretty much imperceptible fruit at the end, if you burp really really hard.

But a good easy drinking beer.

DSCF2460.JPG

Hey Guys,Haven't been game to put anything up here but here it is.
This is one of my versions of Dr.Smurto's Golden ale.
Bittered with Magnum and the rest Amarillo.
34 Grammes of Galaxy and 8 Grammes of Mosaic into the keg.(just because it was laying around.)
Had a couple of Newcastle Brown Ales,reckon that's the best beer I have had out of Dans but this is a bit better,imho as they say.I think the hops stand out a bit more in this,not overdone,just right.
Gotta see if I can make the same again.

No mate .A crappy picture but it is really quite clear and maybe bit redder than golden.
Recipe was,40 ltr.
BB Ale-------------------6.000 kg
Caramalt -------------- 1.500
wheat malt------------- 1,500
Caramunich 1 --------- .550
Hops
Magnum ---------------- 30@60
Amarillo ----------------- 20@ 20
Amarillo ----------------- 20 @10
Galaxy 34 Gms and Mosaic 8 Gms into keg in hop bag.
Yeast--------------------US 05
Mash 60 mins @ 65 deg.

Came out really good.

\

Last of Sept13 black IPA. Found a bottle at the back of the pantry. The Citra/Amarillo aroma is gone but its still a great beer. (Rainy outside)

1392447229351.jpg

No.1 rule of homebrewing: when you make a homebrew you need to drink a homebrew.
Newcastle clone, recipe courtesy of HBHB.

NBA2.jpg

The photo doesn't do it justice. I will take/drink another one when the skies clear up.

This was the first time using Golden Promise Ale and also using Mangrove Jacks M44 Yeast, its either the higher quality malt or the high flocc level of the yeast but this us brilliant in clarity.

1392762656276.jpg

1392762686028.jpg

70% GP Ale
30% Wey Wheat

3.5% Abv
25 ibu - all Simcoe late 15,10 & 5m + whirlpool 10mins then dry hopped @ 4c for 3days after fermentation completed
82% Attenuation

Pratty1 said:
The photo doesn't do it justice. I will take/drink another one when the skies clear up.

This was the first time using Golden Promise Ale and also using Mangrove Jacks M44 Yeast, its either the higher quality malt or the high flocc level of the yeast but this us brilliant in clarity.

attachicon.gif
1392762656276.jpg

attachicon.gif
1392762686028.jpg

70% GP Ale
30% Wey Wheat

3.5% Abv
25 ibu - all Simcoe late 15,10 & 5m + whirlpool 10mins then dry hopped @ 4c for 3days after fermentation completed
82% Attenuation
Which one is the M44? I've got a Mangrove Jack's yeast (basically because it was cheap and seemed to be what I wanted), and just wanting some feedback on these babies.

The M44 is the west coast ale.

Check out the MJ Series thread for details.

Pratty1 said:
The M44 is the west coast ale.

Check out the MJ Series thread for details.
how was the hop flavour after using that yeast mate? i've read it strips it a lot

fletcher said:
how was the hop flavour after using that yeast mate? i've read it strips it a lot
I used all simcoe at 15,10,5,Wp & dry hopped and the hop profile is noticeable and the aroma is good.

I don't know for sure about the stripping rumour, I would have to remake the same beer with us05.

May consider it for this weekends apa.

Belgian amber ale.
Medium and extra dark Crystal Red Wheat with biscuit and an ale malt base. Bout 20 ibu from a 60 min addition of Ella. T58 dry yeast at 25c. 5.9% abv

A lot less peppery than what I was expecting. The yeast character is remarkably similar to my current Belgian golden ale with wyeast ardennes. Same earthy flavour but less fruity than ardennes.
I'll definitely be doing more with this yeast to try and push that pepper a bit more.

IMAG0758.jpg

Back