Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dubbel,
Ended much lighter coloured than expected.
Most of the colour was meant to be from the syrup, so I guess it didn't do its thing.

The beers ok, but far from a dubbel, more like a dry tripel with candi syrup flavours. much drier than expected (fg 1.004), and no raisin flavours.

Will brew another dubbel ASAP with caramunich and more special b and less candi syrup.

Woops
Photo

dubbel.jpg

yeah, it's not too bad actually, just much different to what i was aiming for :)

good thing is, i've learnt a few things about certain flavours.

Very nice Bo pilsner, loving this one.

Batz

003.JPG

Warra's Strong Belgian Something - I have forgotten what style Warra brewed this too. From memory he brewed it about 1.5yrs ago and the bottle I have has been in PET since then. This is a big beer, somewhere around 9%, again from memory. Have been saving this for a cooler evening and the cold change has just arrived.

9326966026_de17c78a97.jpg

Appearance - Dark brown with slight red tint. Thin persistent head and lower carb, probably mostly due to the PET which tend to lose carb over a year.

Aroma - Stonefruit. I first had this beer a year ago and it smelt like nectarines.......like sticking your head in a tray of fresh nectarines. I love how it has minimal oxidised dried fruit characteristics although they have become more prominent over the year. Hint of spicy alcohol but well integrated and not at all solventy.

Flavour - Medium full mouthfeel, accentuated by the low carb. More fresh stonefruit up front, followed by some dried fruit, and a warm alcohol finish.

Overall - Given its sat in PET for 1.5 years this beer has held up beautifully. I remember this beer got marked down last year at the NSWAHBC for being out of style. Screw style, this beer is a cracka.

Mmmmmmm.

Pretty sure that's the two year old. I've tried one while watching a storm roll in at warra's.
A really nice drop indeed.

In fact, it was brewed on 15 December 2010, so it's about 2½ years old!

I still have about a dozen bottles in my stash.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Warsteiner clone from 150 clone brews.....
Was worried about this one, still had a krausen on top after 22 days in FV, was very cloudy and seemed to be full of DMS.
Cracked today, 9 days since bottling, carbed well, tastes pretty good, slight hint of cooked cabbage/corn/vegetable of some kind but doubt you would pick it up if not looking for it.
Will do side by side when I can have a couple of brews.
Happy with this.

005.JPG

IMG_2233.jpg

waggastew's Zombie Dust IPA
6.8% ABV

Described as:

"A clone of America's most highly rated craftbeer. Brewed with a wapping 220 gr of Citra hops, nearly half of it dry hopped. The overwhelming hop aroma has notes of citrus and tropical fruit. A base of sweet malt helps to balance out the hop onslaught. One for the hops heads!"

Amen to that. A terrific beer. It's a little hazy in the glass, but that's no surprise with the amount of hops in there.
The aroma is initially somewhat sweet but very hoppy. It jumps out at you from a half arms length before you even get the glass close to your nose. I variously detect pine, citrus, herbs, fruit, and flower characters, quite complex.
The palate has just enough malt and body to carry the deep hop flavour. The most pleasing aspect is that it is all integrated, no rough edges, and smooth with a clean finish.

Normally this is the style of beer you'd only drink one or two glasses of before it overpowers you, but I could easily down more of this one. I loved it so, by definition, I must be a hop head. Great beer.

Would be interesting to see how this would go in a competition.

Friday afternoon again. I am wet from the rain on the way home, and a little cold, but that isn't gonna stop me.

8HD_2014.JPG

Corn lager - on the board I labeled it 'Norona Cervesa' - though really not that similar to its namesake. Still too much flavour to match the mexican swill with 25% flaked maize in the grist, with the rest pils - single bittering addition only. I guess I should have gone for the cheapo pale malt if I wanted even less flavour - if. Very clean and easy drinking, which is more than I can say for the real stuff.

The corn has made the beer more yellow though. My brother, when he grows weary of being handed more colourful beers, asks for what he calls a "Yellowbeer" which I think is a pretty good way of describing it.

I'll get onto the 9% "Flavour Country" american imperial black IPA later on.

Two Bob Pale Ale

ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 33

70% Ale
20% Wheat
10% Amber

Simcoe Bittering
Citra Flavour and Aroma

SO5 Ale Yeast

2 months since brew date - kegs just about empty, Id say just a squealer left....lol

20130726_200859.jpg

lukiferj said:
Hate it when the best beers are the last few in the keg. Definitely first world problems.
best brewing reason to make more...... :kooi:

Latest posts

Back