Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 7% ABV Bire de Garde (No2).
bdg.JPG
A bit darker than expected, and some first-glass-from-the-keg haze, but a tasty thing non-the-less.

Wish,i could take a decent pic. Im drinking my helles. Faaaark, a few weeks lagering makes a hell of a difference. I liked it before, now im loving it. Just finished carbing the 2nd keg today. First time ever i've had 2 out of 3 of my kegs as lagers. Crystal clear too

Hope the ale loving brew club find out, i'll be an outcask!!

A Belgian Imperial Chocolate Wheat Stout.
9% ABV and had 7 weeks cold conditioning...
BELGO.JPG
Bloody chuffed :)
As good as any commercial examples I've had - this might stay a "private bin" beer.

A Belgian Imperial Chocolate Wheat Stout.
9% ABV and had 7 weeks cold conditioning...
View attachment 58063
Bloody chuffed :)
As good as any commercial examples I've had - this might stay a "private bin" beer.

If it tastes as good as it sounds then you're onto a winner Perry. What yeast? Hop schedule?

And to keep Tony happy :icon_cheers: here's a pic of my last Wee Heavy which I may (or may not) have posted before? Doing another one next brewday & must start taking beer pics again ASAP.
0152_Peaceandplenty_Wee_Heavy.JPG

And to keep Tony happy :icon_cheers: here's a pic of my last Wee Heavy which I may (or may not) have posted before?

Hey..... you started it....... I have been waiting weeks for opportunity :icon_cheers:

stop crying like a little bitch and get on with it :)

Hey..... you started it....... I have been waiting weeks for opportunity :icon_cheers:

stop crying like a little bitch and get on with it :)

This is the only way I get to show off my old beer pics Tony.
If you don't behave yourself I'll send a certain South-East Qld refugee around to sort you out with a bottle of Midnight Train. :p

no beer pic ?????

Don't make me pull out your quote again.. hehehehe

look at the monkey........ look at the monkey

If it tastes as good as it sounds then you're onto a winner Perry. What yeast? Hop schedule?

And to keep Tony happy :icon_cheers: here's a pic of my last Wee Heavy which I may (or may not) have posted before? Doing another one next brewday & must start taking beer pics again ASAP.
View attachment 58064

Now, now kiddies - behave :p

TP, a bloody big slurry of W1762 , 50% assorted wheat malts OG 1.084 FG 1.014 - 60gm Magnum @ 60 minutes, 27gm of Target at 15 minutes.
On sober reflection it could use two weeks more cold conditioning to smooth out the finish a touch, very happy with it otherwise :icon_cheers:

Liquid Lunch English Bitter off the Beer Engine - dry hopped the keg with a plug of EKG.... Very tasty :)

eng_bitter.jpg

A Kolsch won me this glass last year....... and i have made it again.

What better glass to drink it from :)

This year its even better. I used US grown Hallertau that i brought in from Hops direct. I must say they are amazingly good! I will be getting more next year.

Kolsch1210271152x1728-1.jpg

Liquid Lunch English Bitter off the Beer Engine - dry hopped the keg with a plug of EKG.... Very tasty :)

View attachment 58087

Good idea Nick, may do the same with the Flying Pig Bitter. Looks good BTW. (Might just have to fire up my engine to serve the XH Ale to Gravity Guru)

Finally got the keg fridge set up, first glass of a bits n pieces fest beer (in case I f**ked up the keg setup, pitched onto an ex-2633 Oktoberfest yeast cake) and then forgot to take the pic until I was halfway through the glass.

Kegging is the ducks nuts.

IMG_0789.JPG

helles.jpg

My helles. Even worse than drinking a lager, im drinking it out of plastic :eek: . Going down super smooth. 2308 is a cracker of a yeast. Will try a dunkel soon.

Figured out how to attach a pic haha. Not a bad pic if i do say so myself, considering it was from a smart phone

A glass of my first (and probably last ever) Australian National Homebrew Championship 1st Place Winner!

8134270270_d1e301f925.jpg

Its a partial-mash West-Coast style AIPA that won by a bee's dick (well half a mark!). Its a big surprise as it only got 3rd at NSW level but I suspect the diacetyl that lost it points had settled down (perhaps answering the question 'is diacetyl reduced in the bottle'?).

Its been an interesting 3 years of brewing and I have all of the helpful people at AHB and Warra (my local font of knowledge) to thank in particular. Obviously this is a forgiving style but its nice to know that the experts think you can brew good beer using partial mash etc. In the last year I have focused alot on improving the ferment (more yeast, nutrient, O2 etc) and it has made a big difference.

If anyone feels like brewing the beer the recipe is below. I can hear the ad break music being cut in ala the Oscars so I'll stop now!

Stew

Stews Brews West Coast IPA - Partial Mash

1.8kg LDME
400g Dextrose
1.5kg Liquid Wheat Malt
200g Victory Malt
100g Crystal, light
100g Crystal, dark
200g Munich
1kg Pale Malt
15g Centennial and Magnum, 60min
8g each Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 30min
4g each Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 10min
3g each Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS Flameout
7g each Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS during crash chill
1.5 tsp Gypsum
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/3 Whirfoc
2 pkt US-05 at 18degC

Comments - Mash grains at 65degC for 60min. Total boil volume 8L. Extract added directly to fermenter and made upto 21L. Ferment at 18degC for 10days, crash chill and dry hop for 10days at 2degC before bottling. SG 1.064, FG 1.016, Est ABV 6.9%.

Congratulations to waggastew.

I've just this evening consumed a bottle of his 1st placed AIPA, and it's a cracker of a beer.
I drank it in total ignorance of the significance of the competition result.

Very tasty, good malt depth and body, with complex spicy flowery hop aromas and flavours.
The beer is very balanced, with the malt fighting back on the finish to even out a lingering soft bitterness.

This Sorachi ass ale had no place in real glass, so in the yeast harvesting pasta jar it goes

20121031_214243.jpg

Dry Irish Stout from the nitro.

Its a hard life i tell ya!

Stout_121104c1152x1728.jpg

Stout_121104b1728x1152.jpg

Latest posts

Back