Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MK 4 of my Old Rifle Range Dark Mild.

Kegged last night so I could take some bottles to a quiz night, and is turning out very nice! Grain to brain in 6 days, pitched onto a Ringwood yeast cake from my ESB, and drunk on yet another perfect afternoon in Qld ;) (after getting the lawns done, of course ;))

Cheers

DMV4.jpg

Oatmeal version of Warren's 3 shades of stout using WY1469 - keg blew dry last weekend, i shed a tear. Tasty, tasty stout

oatmeal3shades.jpg

AG#88 and i have finally found the house ale.
55% ale, 20% rye, 20% vienna, 5% medium crystal. Magnum to bitter, home-grown chinook for flavour and aroma. Pacman. OG 1.048, 32 IBU. Such a good beer.

No finings added, this yeast clears better than west yorky or the cask ale.
MtTorrensAle.jpg

AG#88 and i have finally found the house ale.
55% ale, 20% rye, 20% vienna, 5% medium crystal. Magnum to bitter, home-grown chinook for flavour and aroma. Pacman. OG 1.048, 32 IBU. Such a good beer.

Where are the high hop plants in the background!?

Both brews look delightful. Look forward to sampling the new house ale soon mate! :)

Edit - at least the trellis's are up ready to roll from the looks of things.

mg5380.jpg

My rauchbier mixed w/ about 5% of my roasty US brown that does not have late hops, so is basically a porter, without it it looks much like a slightly hazy pilsner. The rauch malt was slightly old, and it is losing the bacon edge, even at a very high percentage. Lesson learned. Tastes OK to me, and I am happy to have it on.

ED: I am really happy with the head, the stuff forms like aerosol whipped cream.

Not homebrewed but worth a mention. Mikeller's Beer Hop Breakfast. Oatmeal Stout with LOTS of hops. My god. Very bitter and not something you can finish in under 45 minutes. Tasty, but wow. I didn't drink it at breakfast time though.

2010-10-08174036.jpg

NZPA
Using up some left over hops. Hallertau Aroma and Riwaka (I still think of it as D Saaz, I had to look it up...)
Nice easy drinking pale to lead into summer...
nzpa10.jpg

The last bottle of a now 2+ year old batch of my Sour Orange Belgian Ale, cracked, well because I'd been thinking about doing so for a while.
Sourness was more a bit part player now but plenty of other flavours to keep you interested.

sorangeoct10.jpg

Coopers Canadian blonde with 1 tin of Morgans wheat malt, 1 tin of tooheys brewing sugar and 25 grams of hallertau boiled for 10 minutes. Far tastier than my earlier brews, probably my last extract using beer for now.

c274b1d5.jpg

Sorry about the glass :p just what I was feeling like ATM, pic was an afterthought.

My rauchbier mixed w/ about 5% of my roasty US brown that does not have late hops, so is basically a porter, without it it looks much like a slightly hazy pilsner. The rauch malt was slightly old, and it is losing the bacon edge, even at a very high percentage. Lesson learned. Tastes OK to me, and I am happy to have it on.

ED: I am really happy with the head, the stuff forms like aerosol whipped cream.

Give this a go next time:

Bulls Hide Rauchbier

% Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 Weyermann Smoked Germany 1.037 4
4.5 Weyermann Carabohemien Germany 1.034 200
2.7 Weyermann Carafa Special II Germany 1.036 1100
1.8 Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 350

Give this a go next time:

Bulls Hide Rauchbier

% Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 Weyermann Smoked Germany 1.037 4
4.5 Weyermann Carabohemien Germany 1.034 200
2.7 Weyermann Carafa Special II Germany 1.036 1100
1.8 Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 350

This was mine:

45L
12kg Wey Rauch
1 kg Wey Munich II
80g Hallertau 4.5% @ 60

I really think it needs just a touch of crystal and roast, so yours is looking good there Tony. Next time I get Rauchmalz, I am using it as fresh as I can. I would love to try to get a keg of something like Schlenkerla's Urbock for winter.

German Pils....... Weyermann Pils and tentanger......... nothing more :)

GermanPils1248x832.jpg

Rauchbier.......... Weyerman Rauchmalz, some carabohemien, cararoma and a tad of Carafa spec 2.

Its awsome :)

Rauchbier832x1248.jpg

German Pils....... Weyermann Pils and tentanger......... nothing more :)

GermanPils1248x832.jpg

Rauchbier.......... Weyerman Rauchmalz, some carabohemien, cararoma and a tad of Carafa spec 2.

Its awsome :)

Rauchbier832x1248.jpg

They both look excellent Tony. :icon_drool2:

Been a while since I've done a Pils. How many hop additions of Tett & what yeast? Just curious. :beer:

TP

They both look excellent Tony. :icon_drool2:

Been a while since I've done a Pils. How many hop additions of Tett & what yeast? Just curious. :beer:

TP

big addition at 40 min to 36 IBU and 1/2g per liter at flame out.

yeast......2308.... mashed in at 52 for 10 min then infused to 64. Its malty but dry and refreshing.

love it

Cracked this keg tonight, and I am really happy with my first English IPA, its a tad dark but tasty as! Still cloudy as its the first glass from the keg (filtered too).

Smooth but lingering bitterness. :icon_drool2:

DSCN4054.JPG

Recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.44 kg Pilsner (3.0 SRM) Grain 86.79 %
0.58 kg Munich (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.75 %
0.35 kg Crystal (140.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 %
0.06 kg Choc Malt (1200.0 SRM) Grain 0.81 %
15.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
15.00 gm Brambling Cross [5.10 %] (60 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
40.00 gm Challenger [5.60 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
25.00 gm Challenger [5.60 %] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
25.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
10.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Challenger [5.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs 1968 (Wyeast) Yeast-Ale

This is Screwy's TTLL...fermented at my place with 1469.

It's only had a week in the bottles, but you know how it is ... I couldn't bloody resist it and it carbed up in 3 days anyway.

And wow - bloody beautiful!

Slightly down on the bitterness, perhaps, but it was cubed for a month or so before fermenting. Will be interesting to try a bit of Screwy's ferment for comparison.

Screwy__s_TTLL.jpg

Firstly excuse the crappy pic on the old digi cam.
IMG_4205.JPG

Munich Helles (first Lager) looks like this i s the second last pint from the 2 kegs i made... 1 got knocked off in a party i had weekend before last. Was very polluar with the regular punters.

Aroma: All malt sweetness, I think it's the Pilsner coming through. No hop aroma. No faults... wooohoo. Not bad for a lager... no apples, that's what i'm most happy about. Sued an oktoberfest blend. Seems as though this yeast left a heap of malt behind... fantastic

Flavour: As in aroma, sweet and malty, getting nice whack of that rounded melanoiden flavour :icon_drool2: . Medium body, medium to low bitterness... i could get used to drinking more Hallertau. No real spice to the hops. No fruit, which again i'm happy about for a lager. :)

Pretty happy with this one as it's hit the nail on the head for what i was after; ie a malty, low hop easy drinking lager. This is going on the brew again list. Overall i'm stoked at my first attempt at a lager... i had my reservations as i thought it may have come out smelling like apples.

Second Lager, German Pilsner
Got the camera sorted out a little now.
German_Pilsner.JPG

Aroma: may have under pitched this one. Got a slight bit of fruity aroma. Not sure if it's all that great. Little sulfury. Could be the flowery Hallertau.

Flavour: Enjoyable, little touch of bitterness, good level of maltiness, some sweetness, not too much, finishes dry.

Not the best of beers... live and learn. Maybe try a Bo Pils next time.

Latest posts

Back