Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Berry lambic.
Still hasn't carbed up properly, I need to use the carbonator cap, but it's a lambic alright. Some funk, tart finish, pretty happy with this one.

blambic.jpg

Have you got the recipe/process posted anywhere? I really want to try brewing sours.
I'll have a look for some more details but basically it was 60/40 pils/raw wheat, but ideally it should be at least 50% raw wheat.
I fermented with the wyeast lambic blend. One beer had this directly and another was fermented with Wy3522 first, then had some lambic blend added.
I also added the dregs of lambics over time.
I left it in plastic fermenters for about a year in a cupboard under the stairs.

Fruit went in at about 6 months I think. Left in there for a few months.

This is really a basic non traditional way but it definitely produces a lambic style beer, you just need patience...

Long term I'd like to blend some and have some going all the time but I wanted to taste them now :)

My first attempt using liquid yeast with my all grain batch of blonde ale. Quite tasty and has me mates loving it. Plus it's nice to enjoy with some sunny weather for a change.

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01353.JPG

Looks great eh Tony!

So Outbreak, how does it taste and how does it feel to say "Brewed By Me!" ??

Cheers,

Screwy

Its great! I am loving the fact that I am starting to be able to make quality beers how I want them to taste.

Thats for all the encouragement! I put down my second AG yesterday. I want to get my stocks up for summer, expecially now that al my mates actually like my beer!

My Kentucky Common is finally kegged and in drinking mode. tasting quite good indeed. something different, its kinda got a english brown charcter, slightly nutty, sweet, bready and ever so light roasted malt charcters. on the palate its quite dry and the 'caramel' i added definitely lends a distinct burnt toffee flavour.

crappy photo i know but it tastes great!

If there is anyone interested in a commerical example of this style they are out of luck, its pretty much extinct. i managed to find some decent info on some old US brewing archive books for my recipe development. breakdown ive ripped below and my recipe added if anyone is interested. i used magum hops as i had theem on hand, using a lower alpha hop would get you close to their stated 2-3g to the L final volume. ;)

KENTUCKY COMMON BEER.

Like California steam beer, Kentucky common beer is mainly consumed by the laboring classes, and is chiefly brewed in
Louiville, Ky. It is marketed while still in an early stage of fermentation.

Materials employed are: Barley malt and about 25 to 30 per cent of corn, with some sugar color, caramel or roasted malt to give a dark color.

Balling of wort about 10 to 11 per cent. *(pretty much what deg plato is. e.g. 1.040 - 1.044SG)

Mashing temperatures vary greatly, both low and high initial temperatures being taken. In the latter case the corn mash is
cooled with water before running into the mash-tun.

Boiling. The wort is boiled with about one-half pound of hops per barrel, and cooled to 6odeg F. (12deg to 13deg R.).

Fermentation. The wort is pitched with one- third of a pound of top-fermentation yeast per barrel, allowed to come full in krausen, and then transferred from the fermenter directly into the trade packages, which are placed on troughs, into which the yeast is allowed to work out. The barrels are kept full continually by topping up every few hours. After 48 hours in the barrels the fermentation is over and the barrels are bunged ; when very much gas is required they may be closed in 24 hours.

The beers are not as a rule Krausened, nor fined, and consequently have a "muddy" appearance, but a moderately clear
article can be obtained if the saloonkeeper lays in a supply so that it can settle a few days before tapping.

Kentucky Common
Cream Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 16/08/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
3.60 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 71.29 %
1.00 kg Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.80 %
0.15 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.97 %
0.10 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 1.98 %
15.00 gm Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.1 IBU
3.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.20 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3.96 %
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.64 %
Bitterness: 22.1 IBU
Est Color: 12.8 SRM

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.00 L of water at 72.9 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 82.5 C 73.0 C

Notes
dry liquified suagr in pan until just liquid, transferred immediately to a cake pan in a water bath to speed up cooling. ended up a ruby red candi sugar.

Picture0010.jpg

My biscuit bitter. No pics but, it looks like a bitter!!

86.8% Trad ale
7.9% Caramunich 3
5.3% Biscuit

Galena bittering, willamette @ 10 mins,
27 IBU

Thames valley 2

Drinking pretty nicely. I love biscuit malt, but have never used it in a bitter til now. Won't be the last time hehehe.

My Kentucky Common is finally kegged and in drinking mode. tasting quite good indeed. something different, its kinda got a english brown charcter, slightly nutty, sweet, bready and ever so light roasted malt charcters. on the palate its quite dry and the 'caramel' i added definitely lends a distinct burnt toffee flavour.

crappy photo i know but it tastes great!

If there is anyone interested in a commerical example of this style they are out of luck, its pretty much extinct. i managed to find some decent info on some old US brewing archive books for my recipe development. breakdown ive ripped below and my recipe added if anyone is interested. i used magum hops as i had theem on hand, using a lower alpha hop would get you close to their stated 2-3g to the L final volume. ;)

I think this needs its own recipe database thread fella. I for one would be keen to give this a go. (PM sent also).

Alas my glass is currently empty.

Have had 2 kegs blow in the last week, both resulting a tear or 2 being shed.

Put 2 more in the fridge last night but I do believe I will need to put another brew or 2 on next weekend.

Duck

My 100% rye beer, awesome drop.

Sounds really interesting. What can you tell us beyond "awesome"? Hops and yeast? All base rye or did you use cara-rye as well?

I've been thinking of having a crack at an all rye beer simply because I know that it's something I'll never find commercially.

Fermentation. The wort is pitched with one- third of a pound of top-fermentation yeast per barrel, allowed to come full in krausen, and then transferred from the fermenter directly into the trade packages, which are placed on troughs, into which the yeast is allowed to work out. The barrels are kept full continually by topping up every few hours. After 48 hours in the barrels the fermentation is over and the barrels are bunged ; when very much gas is required they may be closed in 24 hours.

The beers are not as a rule Krausened, nor fined, and consequently have a "muddy" appearance, but a moderately clear
article can be obtained if the saloonkeeper lays in a supply so that it can settle a few days before tapping.

So if you were to keg this, you would brew the batch, let it come to full krausen then dump into a keg ? Then leave it for another 24-48 hours (covered I hope) then seal the keg ? By the sounds of it there should be no need to force carb it ?

Duck

So if you were to keg this, you would brew the batch, let it come to full krausen then dump into a keg ? Then leave it for another 24-48 hours (covered I hope) then seal the keg ? By the sounds of it there should be no need to force carb it ?
Duck

i'll answer this in the kentucky common discussion thread.

First AG Beer.

Very simple so I couldn't ruin it really. As predicted pretty unexciting as far as taste but still great to know I made it from grains!

gallery_11944_690_92064.jpg

It's actually lighter in colour and has some chill haze. (I Let the beer warm up and it was brighter and clearer!)

Sounds really interesting. What can you tell us beyond "awesome"? Hops and yeast? All base rye or did you use cara-rye as well?

I've been thinking of having a crack at an all rye beer simply because I know that it's something I'll never find commercially.

It was the most painful beer i have made so far, naturally sparging was shocking. It was a mix of rye base malt, and choc and caramel.
I wont give too much away as i plan on putting one in a comp lol. But it was a 3 hop mix, and i used a wheat yeast.
I also gelatined and cold conditioned for about 3 months.

My 100% rye beer, awesome drop.

Looks excellent jIg. Must do one of those ASAP. :icon_drool2:
Drinking the last of my 51% Rye right now & finding that contrary to popular belief, it gets better with age. Do you agree?
Two late additions of Perle did it for me. What hops did you use? Scratch that! Just saw your last post. LOL.

TP

awww bugger it, Ill post my recipe in the DB. Its def worth a crack if you have the patience.

Back