Whats In The Glass Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgian Wit :beer:

belgian_wit.jpg

SNPA Clone # 3 (sorry for bad camera phone pic)

Image028.jpg

well that depends on what you put in it and how you brewed it.

recipe would help

BJCP lists it at 4 to 16 EBC so its fine.

The comercial german wheat i just finnished was a bit lighter but not much. bloody nice too.

cheers

it was just Wheat LME x 2
1.1kg of Dex
650g Corn Syrup
250 light DME

25 of Cascade for 30 minutes

i dont know whats a wheat beer is supposed to taste like so i dont know if i ruined it

also i think i 'caramelised' some of the LME when i was boiling it, that may have contributed to the colour

cheers

Daniel

it was just Wheat LME x 2
1.1kg of Dex
650g Corn Syrup
250 light DME

25 of Cascade for 30 minutes

i dont know whats a wheat beer is supposed to taste like so i dont know if i ruined it

also i think i 'caramelised' some of the LME when i was boiling it, that may have contributed to the colour

cheers

Daniel

Oh dear..... were you making a german wheat beer.

For one....... forget about using sugar...... go all malt. Its the hardest think to shake when your going from kits to being more adventurous.

corn sugar is not the best thing to put in beer. Its just not suposed to be there. I used to work in a factory that made it and its just starch that is partially converted to sugar and spray dried. Its used to help with head retention. wheat malt is naturally high in protein and its the protein that forms the head. corn sugar has no protein in it, its just unconverted starch and sugar. better off using more wheat malt.

that much dex is only going to thin the body and reduce the flavour of the beer so what you added with the corn sugar is undone by the dex...... better off using malt extract. The beer will taste better.

OK.... a german wheat beer is generally around 60% wheat malt/40% barly malt. low bitterness with "german hops" cascade is sacraligious. :lol:

I would have a go at this for a good wheat beer.

Im not sure of your production methods but try this and see how you go.

MEthod for 23 liter batch:

2.5kg wheat malt extract
1.2kg light malt extract

20g tettnanger hops @ 4.5%AA boiled for 45 min
10g tettnanger hops @ 4.5%AA boiled for 10 min

1. get a big pot 18 to 20 liters ($20 at big W)
2. Fill it with about 14 liters of hot water from the tap.
3. Put 1 to 1.5 KG of malt extract in and mix till completly disolved. this will give you a gravity of around 1.040.... perfect for boiling your hops in.
4. bring this to the boil and add your bittering hops and boil for 45 minuites. Lid "off".
5. add the late 10g of hops with 10 min left to go.
6. turn off the heat and disolve the rest of the malt extract.
7. cool in the laundty tub/bath tub buy surounding it with water a few times.
8. tip into firmenter when cool and top up to 23 liters. airate will by stiring in lits of air with a sterile spoon.
9. pitch with the new wheat yeast out (cant remember its number) or a good liquid yeast like WLP300 or 3068 (my fav :super: )
10. firment at about 20 deg, bottle or keg and gas it a bit more than usual. hool in while its young and at its best.

this will give you a beer at 1.050 and 9.5 EBC

hope this helps a bit.

cheers

one day..... ONE DAY.... someone taking a pic like that on their laptop is going to have a nasty accident.

how many times do you have to restart a coaster Tony? :)

i'm a bit suss about using a shite load of extract, then saying, that recipe needs more extract, only use dried extract, that's heaps different to liquid extract :p
why not use less water with the tins of goo?

dexy does counteract the goo to a degree.

Nelsons ******* Ale (Nelson Sauvin Ale).....probably the best AG I have done and I just pulled the recipe outa me arse. :beerbang:

Nelsons_Ale.jpg

Cheers
Steve

An Impreial Brown Ale with lots of Amarillo and Cascade

Imperial_Brown_2.jpg

I always made my self hopped beers with just malt extract..... liquid that is. Dried extract tends to be a lot darker.

Got the idea from ESB's 3kg kits..... i loved them.

and coopers premium kits with the 1.5kg can of light malt extract were at the better end of the kit stick for me.

Nothing wrong with putting some dex in there but not huge quantities..... its just not as good as an all malt beer.

cheers

Nelsons ******* Ale (Nelson Sauvin Ale).....probably the best AG I have done and I just pulled the recipe outa me arse. :beerbang:
View attachment 14123

Cheers
Steve

that looks great Steve.

recipe.... after you wipe it please....... considering where you got it and all :p

cheers

first beer from my new keg setup

#edit# cant make my pic work-HELP

EKG bitter made with about 6% 100 ebc cryatal and 1% cararoma.

fantastic orange colour @ 15 ebc.

hopped all the way with over 200g of EKG in 50 liters

very nice indeed

cheers

EKG_Bitter__832_x_1248_.jpg

I should've taken a photo of that Boon Kriek I just shared with a friend, the colour was amazing, as was the beer (actually considering it for top 3 contender). I'll get one next bottle.

that looks great Steve.

recipe.... after you wipe it please....... considering where you got it and all :p

cheers

Nelson's ******* Ale (Nelson coz of the hops and ******* coz ive no idea what it'll turn out like)

3.5kg Marris Otter
500gms Wheat Malt
500gms Caramunich II
40gms Choc Malt
30gms Roast Malt

35gms Northern Brewer (6.20% AA) @ 60 mins
15gms Nelson Sauvin flowers (13% AA) @ 30 mins
15gms NS @ 15 mins + Whirlfloc
15gms NS @ 10 mins
20gms NS @ 0 mins

1 x Nottingham Ale yeast

Mashed @ 67 for 60 mins

No chilled overnight

SG 1040

Finished the keg yesterday arvo .... :(

Here you go Brendan...
Boon.JPG
This was taken at 'Cafe Camping' in Beersel. This aging little cafe doubles as the local pigeon racing clubhouse...

BTW - Was the Boon purchased locally?

Asher

EKG bitter made with about 6% 100 ebc cryatal and 1% cararoma.

fantastic orange colour @ 15 ebc.

hopped all the way with over 200g of EKG in 50 liters

very nice indeed

cheers

Nicely planned photo shoot Tony....with the shrubbery n all. Very classy. Beer looks nice too.
Cheers
Steve

Here you go Brendan...
View attachment 14139
This was taken at 'Cafe Camping' in Beersel. This aging little cafe doubles as the local pigeon racing clubhouse...

BTW - Was the Boon purchased locally?

Asher

that's gotto be one of my favourite pics so far, that beer just looks soo tasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back