Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drank one the other week at cellar temps and found it uninspiring. Found it cloying toward the end, definitely needs a touch more bitterness, still a nice beer in its own right and no major faults, its similar to a lot of irish red type beers i had while over that way.

Ok really? The more of this style I try the less I like it..perhaps I'm simply not into this type of beer. I made one spookily similar to the prickly moses red..and I didn't like either of them much. I'm going to try CM2's recipe at some point and then give up on this style...turns out I much prefer 'northern browns' as that is where hobgoblin and rigg welter seem to be slotted. I need me some hops in there dammit!

June2012002.jpg

I'm tucking into this at the moment. It's good but they've used a bit too much chinook hops to bitter it with for my liking. It has simcoe hops and some other sort I can't identify as the late addition/dry hops. At 10.5% abv you can't taste any alcohol heat. A pretty good beer that could have been better.

What I drank in England recently ... not all in the same night of course :D
(HP = h/pump, Bt = Bottle)
* denotes a jolly nice drink.

While it was really nice to be drinking in England, it served also to point out how good homebrew can be.

Wadworth Swordfish (6X with Pussers Rum) HP
Wadworth Bishop's Tipple HP
Wadworth Horizon HP
*Bateman's Combined Harvest Bt
Peroni Grand Riserva Bt
Red Rock Traditional Bitter Bt
Fuller's Bengal Lancer IPA Bt
Wadworth's Henry's IPA HP
Wadworth 6X HP
Bays Devon Dumpling Bt
Wadworth St George & the Dragon Bt
*Red Rock Back Beach Bt
Wadworth Old Timer Bt
*Timmy Taylor's Landlord HP
Sharp's Doom Bar HP
*Rhymney Export Bt
Rhymney Dark Ale Bt
* Tesco DIPA (Brewdog) Bt
*Monty's Sunshine Bt
Thornbridge Jaipur Bt
*Thornbridge Raven BIPA Bt
*Thornbridge Versa Bt
Thornbridge Wild Swan Bt
Pride of Fulstow HP
Cooper's Sparkling Bt :lol:
Black Sheep Best Bitter HP
Greene King Abbot Ale HP & CAN
Shepherd Neame Spitfire Bt
Thornbrige Halcyon Bt
Charles Wells Bombardier CAN
Bateman's Victory Bt
Hook Norton Old Hooky Bt
Abbeye de Vauchair Bt
*Otley Brewing Porter Bt
Meantime London Stout Bt
Pen-Lon 2 Rams IPA Bt
Thornbridge Kipling Bt
Ringwood Boondoggle HP
*Ossett Citra HP
*Leed's Jubilee IPA HP
*Brewster Imp AthLEte HP
*Some really nice stout I didn't get the name of HP
Bateman's Spring Goddess HP
Tom Wood Best Bitter HP
Wadworth Jubilee Bt
Wychwood Hobgoblin CAN
Fuller's London Pride CAN
Brain's SA Gold Bt
Breconshire Brewery Rambler's Ruin Bt
Worthington White Shield Bt
Fuller's ESB HP
Brewdog Punk IPA CAN

Due to some personal circumstances I am particularly missing the UK tonight and that list isn't helping :)
Had many of those before but quite a few new ones to think about when I make it there next, sometime...
Wadworth 6X was the beer that really started my journey.

While it was really nice to be drinking in England, it served also to point out how good homebrew can be.

Wadworth Swordfish (6X with Pussers Rum) HP
Wadworth Bishop's Tipple HP
Wadworth Horizon HP
*Bateman's Combined Harvest Bt
Peroni Grand Riserva Bt
Red Rock Traditional Bitter Bt
Fuller's Bengal Lancer IPA Bt
Wadworth's Henry's IPA HP
Wadworth 6X HP
Bays Devon Dumpling Bt
Wadworth St George & the Dragon Bt
*Red Rock Back Beach Bt
Wadworth Old Timer Bt
*Timmy Taylor's Landlord HP
Sharp's Doom Bar HP
*Rhymney Export Bt
Rhymney Dark Ale Bt
* Tesco DIPA (Brewdog) Bt
*Monty's Sunshine Bt
Thornbridge Jaipur Bt
*Thornbridge Raven BIPA Bt
*Thornbridge Versa Bt
Thornbridge Wild Swan Bt
Pride of Fulstow HP
Cooper's Sparkling Bt :lol:
Black Sheep Best Bitter HP
Greene King Abbot Ale HP & CAN
Shepherd Neame Spitfire Bt
Thornbrige Halcyon Bt
Charles Wells Bombardier CAN
Bateman's Victory Bt
Hook Norton Old Hooky Bt
Abbeye de Vauchair Bt
*Otley Brewing Porter Bt
Meantime London Stout Bt
Pen-Lon 2 Rams IPA Bt
Thornbridge Kipling Bt
Ringwood Boondoggle HP
*Ossett Citra HP
*Leed's Jubilee IPA HP
*Brewster Imp AthLEte HP
*Some really nice stout I didn't get the name of HP
Bateman's Spring Goddess HP
Tom Wood Best Bitter HP
Wadworth Jubilee Bt
Wychwood Hobgoblin CAN
Fuller's London Pride CAN
Brain's SA Gold Bt
Breconshire Brewery Rambler's Ruin Bt
Worthington White Shield Bt
Fuller's ESB HP
Brewdog Punk IPA CAN

Too true but at least there is plenty of choice when you are down the pub (depending on your pub!).

Quite a list, at this point in time I've taken to avoiding the Greene King and Wadworth brands as a general rule (the Greene King IPA is ditchwater) and am currently enjoying the Jubilee edition Spitfire as I type (on special 1.39 ($2.15) a bottle!), but there are a lot of underwhelming real ales floating around unfortunately.

IMG_4619.jpg

Had a couple Mikkeller Green Gold IPAs at The Healseville last night. Very nice beer that one.

Drank Feral out of Watermelon Warhead today with the boys from the shop.

And Rye IPA ran out too.

It was great.

Today was the first chance I've had to get to Slowbeer's new premises. I must say that drinking a SN Hoptimum while I peruse their wares is a pretty damned civilised way to purchase beer.

So yeah, I had Hoptimum. I've read a few reports from people who's opinions that I know saying that the beer is a bit out of balance. Maybe it comes across OTT in the bottle but on tap it was bloody magic. Aggressive, sure, so not to everyones' taste but it was definitely a well balanced beer. Then I had Nogne O Brown. Nogne O is my favourite brewery, they just can't make bad or boring beer and I very rarely get the chance to drink them on tap. So you can only imagine my disappointment when the beer presented smelling not quite sour/not quite funky but somewhere definitely in between. Came through very strongly as the beer warmed. Spewing. Then I had Bright Resistance Red - well named because I only ended up getting it on barkeep's recommendation (not Chris, new guy who I think may have just started). He asked me if I'd had it before and I said "Nah but I've had lots of their other beers and, uh..." He suggested this beer was more impressive than their regular roster so I took a punt. Smells AMAZING, tastes pretty nice. Would be really happy to make a batch of this myself.

Then I brought home:
Schlenkerla Fiche x 2 (only ever read about this - can't wait)
Schlenkerla Urbock
Mikkeller 1000 IBU
HaandBryggeriet Sweet & Sour
De Molen Mooi & Meedogenloos
Moylan's Old Blarney
Moylan's NorCal IPA
Heretic Evil Cousin
Baird Ganko Oyaji Barleywine
Baird Jubilation Ale
Van Diemen Autumn Ale
a few peach lambics and Holgate Temptresses for m'lady
an Old Rasputin nonic pint glass

Really nice afternoon.

went to 1st choice while i was out shopping..was asked would like to sample some craft beer,the rep was from HAWTHORN brewing,tried all the range and got a six pack of pale ale.very nice hopped beer

Red Hill
Imperial Stout
Scotch ale
And SNPA Celebration ale
All great beers :icon_drunk:

Today was the first chance I've had to get to Slowbeer's new premises. I must say that drinking a SN Hoptimum while I peruse their wares is a pretty damned civilised way to purchase beer.

So yeah, I had Hoptimum. I've read a few reports from people who's opinions that I know saying that the beer is a bit out of balance. Maybe it comes across OTT in the bottle but on tap it was bloody magic. Aggressive, sure, so not to everyones' taste but it was definitely a well balanced beer. Then I had Nogne O Brown. Nogne O is my favourite brewery, they just can't make bad or boring beer and I very rarely get the chance to drink them on tap. So you can only imagine my disappointment when the beer presented smelling not quite sour/not quite funky but somewhere definitely in between. Came through very strongly as the beer warmed. Spewing. Then I had Bright Resistance Red - well named because I only ended up getting it on barkeep's recommendation (not Chris, new guy who I think may have just started). He asked me if I'd had it before and I said "Nah but I've had lots of their other beers and, uh..." He suggested this beer was more impressive than their regular roster so I took a punt. Smells AMAZING, tastes pretty nice. Would be really happy to make a batch of this myself.

Then I brought home:
Schlenkerla Urbock
Mikkeller 1000 IBU
Moylan's Old Blarney
Moylan's NorCal IPA
Heretic Evil CousinY
Baird Jubilation Ale
Van Diemen Autumn Ale

Really nice afternoon.
Aside from a nice haul you weren't steered wrong on two
counts there Bum. Hoptimum is very nice in the bottle but great on tap, and the Bright Resistance Red is a very nice beer. Stood out even among so many good beers at GABS

Yeah, the aroma on both beers still had me stoked at the bottom of the glass - the finer details in the aroma of most beers become become a bit harder to find by the end for me, not so here. Loved both.

Then I brought home:
Schlenkerla Urbock
Mikkeller 1000 IBU
Moylan's Old Blarney
Moylan's NorCal IPA
Heretic Evil Cousin
Baird Jubilation Ale
Van Diemen Autumn Ale

Really nice afternoon.
Hey Bum what did you think of the Schlenkerla,s i absolutely love them,strange at first but very moorish once you start,dont think i could smash a 19l cornie though!,anyone got a recipe for 9l??? :lol:

Then I brought home:
Schlenkerla Urbock
Mikkeller 1000 IBU
Moylan's Old Blarney
Moylan's NorCal IPA
Heretic Evil Cousin
Baird Jubilation Ale
Van Diemen Autumn Ale

Really nice afternoon.

I picked up a 4 pack of Hoptimum the other week. At first I thought it was OTT and out of balance but the other night I had one straight after I'd had a Big Eye IPA and it tasted much better and balanced. Maybe it's meant to be drunk after a hoppy IPA?

Nice score on the Old Rasputin pint glass, I picked up 2 from the brewery last year and wish I'd got more.

I tried the Zywiec porter last night. The aroma was promising and inviting. Then came the kick to the guts. Very strong on the roasted malts that made it a sipper. The bitterness was over powered. But i have tried now so I'll pass on the next bottle. Then i followed it up with a celebration ale. I must not of washed the glass as the porter was still noticable through it. I'm also finding the latest lot coopers has that home brew tang in it.

Fish, the porter is definitely a sipper. It's not James squire porter ya know...
Don't let the price of the beer fool ya.

Hey Bum what did you think of the Schlenkerla,s i absolutely love them,strange at first but very moorish once you start,dont think i could smash a 19l cornie though!,anyone got a recipe for 9l??? :lol:
I love the urbock (depending on my mood it is my favourite beer in the world), the marzen is very nice, absolutely hate the weizen. Looking forward to the Doppelbock - this one is smoked with oak instead of beechwoord. Can;t wait to see how that changes the smoke character.

As for having a batch of it, I'm going to have a crack at the supposed Urbock grain bill next brewday. 99% smoked (using Best, not Weyermann) and 1% something for colour.

Nice score on the Old Rasputin pint glass, I picked up 2 from the brewery last year and wish I'd got more.
I was in a bar that used them in the States late last year and have been umming and ahhing over ordering some from North Coast's webpage ever since. Only ended up costing $2 then the webpage price (before postage) and didn;t have to worry about postie damage.

It wasn't the price it was the 9.5 abv that got me. Also i agree about you said about the celebration ale manticle. Just not exciting.

Back