Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other day I decided I was going to sample one of these, so I put it in the fridge and cracked it last night
IMAG0141.jpg
A 1973 vintage Guinness Foreign Extra Stout 230ml. It's been stored under the house for 39 years and I thought I'd give it a go.

Surprisingly it was still lightly carbonated and got a nice little ppfff when the seal was broken. Poured quite oily with virtually no head. There was a lot of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

The smell was of big roasted malts with a hint of burnt sugar and sherry notes. The taste was very interesting. I was expecting it to be very oxidised and disgusting, but it wasn't. There was some oxidisation mixed with a flavour of vegemite soup and rich typical stout flavours.

In the end it wasn't a bad experience, especially trying an original Guinness (from before the recipe change) that was brewed and bottled before I was born.

The other day I decided I was going to sample one of these, so I put it in the fridge and cracked it last night
View attachment 55111
A 1973 vintage Guinness Foreign Extra Stout 230ml. It's been stored under the house for 39 years and I thought I'd give it a go.

Surprisingly it was still lightly carbonated and got a nice little ppfff when the seal was broken. Poured quite oily with virtually no head. There was a lot of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

The smell was of big roasted malts with a hint of burnt sugar and sherry notes. The taste was very interesting. I was expecting it to be very oxidised and disgusting, but it wasn't. There was some oxidisation mixed with a flavour of vegemite soup and rich typical stout flavours.

In the end it wasn't a bad experience, especially trying an original Guinness (from before the recipe change) that was brewed and bottled before I was born.

Most impressive - you would find it hard to find a more unique or memorable experience. I tried this a few years ago with Tooheys Old - when reaching the 7 year mark was watery, and no longer enjoyable. May have just been my perception, but before the 'peak' was reached (4-5 years) I found this to be more enjoyable than 'in date' product.

c2b7c073.jpg

EXCELLENT Imperial IPA. Amazing hop flavour, great balance of bitterness with malt and alcohol sweetness. YUM!

Drinking a six pack of tooheys new that expired on the 24/08/10.
Tbh it's quite nice with a pellet of simcoe, centennial, cascade and Nelson sauvin.

Edit: just started washing it down with a Westvleteren 6

Drinking a six pack of tooheys new that expired on the 24/08/10.
Tbh it's quite nice with a pellet of simcoe, centennial, cascade and Nelson sauvin.

Edit: just started washing it down with a Westvleteren 6
Good bloody idea for the 6 shitbox Crownies ive got that i cant give away!!!! dont hava westie to wash them down with though!

murrays angry man right now on the third glass.

Had this on Sat night.
Ironhousehoneyporter.jpg

Label:
Ironhousehoneyporterlabel.jpg

Ignore the branding on the bottle, this was brewed by Ironhouse brewery on Tassie's East coast.
An interesting one. Some nice caramel and chocolate and roasted flavours, but totally dominated by the leatherwood honey. A glass or two would be nice, I struggled to finish the growler, and had to wash it down with some yummy HB AIPA's afterwards.

I agree Spork, I had a couple at the brewery a few weeks ago and another little taste at crown on Friday. The first time the leatherwood honey was very dominating but I thought it had rounded out a bit when I tasted it on Friday maybe it will continue to do so. I enjoyed the beer, would be great after dinner on these cold tassie nights but like you I would struggle to get through a growler.

Mmmm.

BearrepublicTributeAle.jpg

This is a very nice brown ale.
Molasses and brown sugar, the malts dominate, but enough hops to balance it, without getting in the way of the malty deliciousness.
If you haven't tried Bear republic beers, then "do yourself a favour" if you spot them and grab some.
This is the 3rd I've tried from this brewery. All have been dark ales of one kind or another. None have had much head. All have been very good. (IMO)

Enjoying this in my new Dogfish head beer glass. Not bad, nice hop flavour with a good malt backbone.

hop_ale.jpg

Im really keen to know how the Mudgee brew's go........ i had them a few times a couple years back and they were infected gushers (purchased at the bottle shop across the road from the brewery in Mudgee), so i went to the brewery and drank it on tap.

That was cardboard infected swill also with one glass being similar to swirled yeast cake. It was chalky with yeast.

I swore to never drink their beers again

wold be good to see if they improved!

Just tried the Mudgee Porter tonight. It was nice until the sour twang of an infected beer hit my taste buds. Couldn't even finish it. No gushing but it was definitely off.

The Bright Blowhard Pale Ale made up for it though. Beautiful hoppy nose with a good malt backbone and bitterness.

28007.jpg

Just had a schooner of this with dinner at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

Very refreshing, fruity, peachy with a bit a malt to back it up.

Might have to have a few more :chug:

I grabbed a $15 sixer of this because my 18 month old son is currently pointing at all things plane related, and I glad he brought this to my attention as we rolled by the fridge.
The first ever wheat beer that delivers the promise of 'refreshing', for me anyway. But I'm not a big wheat fan either.

Tastes like cascade and maby some saaz in there, very citricy anyway and a neutral yeast. Doesn't really have that traditional wheat tartness.
I likey a lot.

Not my pic, by the way.

dd4e5cf0cb3bbd185545578c0bc3a645_640x640.jpg

I grabbed a $15 sixer of this because my 18 month old son is currently pointing at all things plane related, and I glad he brought this to my attention as we rolled by the fridge.
The first ever wheat beer that delivers the promise of 'refreshing', for me anyway. But I'm not a big wheat fan either.

Tastes like cascade and maby some saaz in there, very citricy anyway and a neutral yeast. Doesn't really have that traditional wheat tartness.
I likey a lot.

Not my pic, by the way.

dd4e5cf0cb3bbd185545578c0bc3a645_640x640.jpg

Looks like your boy already has a good eye for beer ;)

Back