Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spent 22 hours on planes.
Arrived at 6am. It's 2pm and I'm sitting in kitty's in Helsinki.
Somehow it's IPA week and I just demolished a hornbeer IPA.

Screw the rust marks on the cap/neck of the bottle - it was phenomenal.

Who cares if im about to die of sleep deprivation. Im stealing someone's wifi and more hops are needed!

The labeling alone in the hornbeer IPA is brilliant.

trying matso smokey bishop tonight. not to bad some roasted flavors coming through and some chocolate too.

hmm so over kids tonight too.

Just spent 22 hours on planes.
Arrived at 6am. It's 2pm and I'm sitting in kitty's in Helsinki.
Somehow it's IPA week and I just demolished a hornbeer IPA.

Screw the rust marks on the cap/neck of the bottle - it was phenomenal.

Who cares if im about to die of sleep deprivation. Im stealing someone's wifi and more hops are needed!

The labeling alone in the hornbeer IPA is brilliant.

Was that the 'happy hoppy Easter ipa'? If it was I second that its one lovely ipa had a few of them myself this week.
Those Danes do make some quality beers.

Was that the 'happy hoppy Easter ipa'? If it was I second that its one lovely ipa had a few of them myself this week.
Those Danes do make some quality beers.

Not too sure on the Easter IPA.
http://uk.hornbeer.dk/?pid=74&sub=81

Enjoying a weyerbacher IPA and just finished a Mikeller I beat yoU IPA.
Apparently it was helsinki's IPA week last week, however all these niche pubs have a few random kegs lying around.

Currently on a quest to find them all.
Just found out there's small micro brewery down the street a tad. My taste buds seem to be leading me there...

Vale IPA smells pretty damned nice.

:icon_drool2:

So far:
Cask salopian hop twister
Cask rudgate battle axe
Ridgeway ipa
Saint louis kriek
Mikeller i beat you /brewdog
Finnish homebrew sahti
Hornbeer IPA

In the next seven weeks this list will grow exponentially

For me Sparkling ale is best with the yeast mixed in, as is the Pale Ale. Having said that I had 3 pales last night and none of them were very good at all. I've drunk more cartons of it than I can count in the past 10 years and it's just not what it used to be. Perhaps I'm spoiled now.

I hate to say it but the last few times i've had a CPA, i've been disappointed too. Seems to be a little harsh, and just doesnt taste like it did when i used to drink it on tap ( where i could find it!! ).

Hungover as a mutha f*cker today, time to HTFU
norg.JPG
Oh mumma!
(that bottle-o is quite surprising northside-novice :icon_cheers: )

Vale IPA smells pretty damned nice.

I had one side by side with a SN torpedo extra IPA. I prefered the Vale IPA. It is supposed to be an American IPA (lighter on the malt so hops shine through).

had matso pale ale last night... no head slight carbonation and thats about it...

it could of been me having the beer after brushing my teeth at 2 am in the morning

I had one side by side with a SN torpedo extra IPA. I prefered the Vale IPA. It is supposed to be an American IPA (lighter on the malt so hops shine through).
Yeah, most of this market would probably agree with you. Like almost every Australian example of an A-anything it was an overly dry, no spec malt to be tasted, over-carbed nothing sort of beer. As I say, does smell very nice but.

4Bullant_pale.jpg

Bullant PA - Good to see another regional Vic micro up and about.
Says its an american style PA?? low level hop aroma that does not really hang around.
Moderate creamy white head that stays for the duration.
I get this overly dextrinous mouth feel straight up, followed by a sort of nothing mid palate, some hops hiding there somwhere.

After the first couple of mouthfuls i was wondering where the bitterness was?
It does appear as a gentle lingering bitterness that slowly builds up the more you drink. I see after the fact on website that it is POR and Cascade, interesting combo.
A decent PA but probably not something i would revisit, i don't buy beer that often but there are much better around for the same $/L

I have there IPA to try as well so see how that goes.

4View attachment 53485

Bullant PA - Good to see another regional Vic micro up and about.
Says its an american style PA?? low level hop aroma that does not really hang around.
Moderate creamy white head that stays for the duration.
I get this overly dextrinous mouth feel straight up, followed by a sort of nothing mid palate, some hops hiding there somwhere.

After the first couple of mouthfuls i was wondering where the bitterness was?
It does appear as a gentle lingering bitterness that slowly builds up the more you drink. I see after the fact on website that it is POR and Cascade, interesting combo.
A decent PA but probably not something i would revisit, i don't buy beer that often but there are much better around for the same $/L

I have there IPA to try as well so see how that goes.
Never heard of them, where they from?
The label looks quite unique...pretty cool

Another Brewery near Hotham! Nice! Hopefully they get the standards of Bright Brewery

Having the Bullant IPA tonight.

A darker copper colour quite hazy. Again great head retention, when i poured this into a jug there was large amounts of dense rocky off white foam.

Rich malt and citrus aroma.

Good moderate level of hop flavour, plenty of rich malt to back it up, medium body all very well balanced with a moderate resin/citrus kind of bitterness.
Med to high carbonation.

I am really enjoying this one more so as the carbonation dies off, i would definitely hit this again, shits all over the PA i had last night.
If you were to pin the style this would be somewhere around the English IPA mark but with just a bit too much US hop presence, the beer geek would probably just call it a pale ale, especially as its only 5.8%

All that rubbish aside this is a really nice beer, was $8 for 640ml bottle, so not too bad price wise.

Last night's session from Archive.

BRIDGE ROAD CHEVALIER
MURRAYS ANGRY MAN PALE
BACCHUS CARBROOK PALE ALE
HOP DOG MIDGEE
COOPERS VINTAGE ALE
LITTLE CREATURES ROGERS
BREWDOG 5 A.M. SAINT

sweooy.jpg

Hargreaves Hill - Pale Ale

Effing awesome! nice little surprise, whack in the face of fresh hops, dry hopped to buggery!

Nice head too, this'ns dissipated a bit because I'm savouring it too much :p

Making me wish I'd got a sixer of these instead of a mixed pack!

sweooy.jpg

Hargreaves Hill - Pale Ale

Effing awesome! nice little surprise, whack in the face of fresh hops, dry hopped to buggery!

Nice head too, this'ns dissipated a bit because I'm savouring it too much :p

Making me wish I'd got a sixer of these instead of a mixed pack!

I had that as my introduction to the brewery :icon_cheers:

Hop_Hog.jpg

Feral Hop Hog.... Mmmmm, hops :icon_drool2:

Perfect for an after dinner beer in front of the footy!

Latest posts

Back