Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or the bruichladdich octomore. Best if you can get someone to give you a sample first though. I like peat but this was f.... ridiculous.
Might hit up some whisk(e)y bars for some research. ;)

Got tickets to Whisky Live is hitting Sydney this August too. Hopefully a few decent single malts on show there this time.

Last nights desert

0aaf4c26.jpg

No need to say anything, apart from this is the best beer in the world

Last nights desert

0aaf4c26.jpg

No need to say anything, apart from this is the best beer in the world
Snap... just had my first one tonight at the Belgian Beer Cafe in Brisbane. Better then the Westy 12 I had the other night.

DSCN1531.JPG

Russian River Supplication. Received due to the incomparable generosity of AHB member Jez.

Aroma is tart/sourness, light dark fruit, a little balsamic, maybe a little lemon but not zesty. Flavour starts a bit dark fruity which seems to transition to a sorta sparkling white wine-ish thing all underneath a very forward earthy/not quite barnyard funkiness - little of the balsamic the aroma suggests but still sour/tart. I don't really get the cherries except maybe for in a slight Kirsch-y way that I may only be tasting because I'm looking for it. Very intense at the back of the mouth on the swallow and on the fade. Much drier than I remember from a tasting at the brewery a couple of years ago. Highly puckering but doesn't come across as overtly tannic (is that a word?) to me - possibly accentuated by the strong carb. Pretty amazing that they hold a beer like this together. If I tried to make it I'd end up in The Hague for crimes against beer. So good.

Personal note - feel free to ignore:
Thanks so much for this bottle, Jez. Not just because it is such a rare and amazing beer to find in this country but also because your random act of kindness came at a time when I was questioning the value of some people close to me and I really needed reminding that just because some people who are important to me are shit doesn't mean all people are shit. Really helped me out.

Awesome to hear that Bum. We managed to get (nearly) the whole series of Russian River sours and did a tasting across the board. They are absolutely outstanding. Good to see more people being given a chance to try them.

I hope (and I believe!) Feral will be up to these standards for their sours!

Had a bottle of Burleigh Brewing's 'Black Giraffe' lager a weekend or two ago with my Father - saw it a while ago on sale and thought it'd be perfect as we both like our beers and coffees.

It poured very nicely into two schooners, the traditional style; none of this commercial craziness snadblasted bottom stuff. Head was a caramel colour, with a black body and hints of very dark red in the light.

The body was medium, very much mor light than you'd think from the pour. Aroma was (not surprisigly) very stoutish with overtones of darker malts and a background of fresh brewed coffee.

Taste was something else - I'd definitely recommend this one to fans of both beer and coffee, and appreciators of darker beers in general. Beyond that I won't get into it as I'll probably just make a hash of it. Suffice to say that the dark malts, lager brewing and coffee addition really stood out to make a superbly smooth and dinkable beverage. Hopping was sublte and the malts and coffee really shone through.

Cheers all - boingk (sorry for no pictures)

Tried "dundee IPA", and "Windwalker pale ale" last night. Both were pretty nice. I found them both more balanced than most US beers, and more tame. Pretty high sessionability factor.

Snap... just had my first one tonight at the Belgian Beer Cafe in Brisbane. Better then the Westy 12 I had the other night.
Gonna have to agree with this. Westy 12 is a truely amazing beer, and it's allusiveness certainly adds to the appeal. But Rochefort 10, wow, it's just an experience, and has a bit more richness and depth over the Westy....not to take anything away from it, but they are quite different beers.
Be nice to do a side by side one day though...

trying this at the moment and i have a slight bannana flavour and sweetness but not over powering. i guess something is given off a crayon aroma...

nice and drinkable too

Photo0519.jpg

a4b30e81.jpg

Really loving the ngone o, this one is quite hoppy but also not overpowering, malt backs this up very well. Way to easy to drink. Lucky I've only got one

DSCN1531.JPG

Russian River Supplication.

Thank you for your presentation on growing a box Bum.

Seriously, I am glad someone somewhere is tasting Supplication. I have one in my fridge, and it is calling me like that magic ring in that hobbit romance movie, what was it called? The Lord of Rims?

After posting this in the non-commercial thread, I though I best post it here.

beer.JPG

Left to right:
Estrella Damm Inedit
Mountain Goat Rare IPA
Theresianer

BlackRat.

EDIT - The MG Rare IPA was very hoppy but a little heavy/thick for me. Love the hops but couldnt drink more than 2 of these in a session for me.

EDIT - The MG Rare IPA was very hoppy but a little heavy/thick for me. Love the hops but couldnt drink more than 2 of these in a session for me.

Had a bottle of that last week its a really enjoyable IPA, i agree not sessionable with its big rich chewy toffee malt profile, but it also has a great hop hit to balance it out really well. A great beer i wish was more widely available.

hmm trying the coopers range tonight. Had the sparkling ale with the yeast included and was not impressed with it. Now having the vintage strong ale and it was fruity and a bit chewy. Not something i would rave about. good head to start with and then all gone

No pic, but had the new SN seasonal- Ruthless Rye recently, picked up a bottle at Archive Bar in Brisbane last week. What an amazing beer- :icon_drool2: ! Never thought I'd say that about an American IPA, but this one is a real cracker and has quite roundly shat all over its predecessor Tumbler. Has a delicious malty rye character and loads of C hops without being OTT.
Get it while you can is my advice! B)

Latest posts

Back