Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least they're consistent.

I keep trying after hearing so many good things. But this is what I get. Thin fizzy flavourless.
2e7c9314.jpg

same thing for me last weekend. Same beer from the fridge at dans.

I emailed Murray's with my feedback and a link to this thread so they could see the discussions. Their response was

G'day Sam,

Thanks very much for the feedback. It is worrying to hear of your recent problems with our pale ale. It is a bottle conditioned beer with live yeast, so storage conditions, heat in particular, can cause problems.

We are also looking at micro results from all batches to rule out contamination. So far our testing has shown no issues which is good, which is borne out by the 'thin and flavorless' description as opposed to undrinkably sour or other major sign of infection.

I would love to replace your beer. Can you please send your address details and I will get some out to you ASAP.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Shawn Sherlock
Head Brewer
Murray's Craft Brewing Co
3443 Nelson Bay Road
Bobs Farm NSW 2316
Ph 02 49826411
Fax 02 49826766

It's good to see they are willing to replace the beer even though the problem is most likely handling after it's left Murray's. I'll post back here with comments once they arrive and I get to try them again

Had a murrays 2ipa which was overcarbed and thought I got a dud which I had heard about, but was pleasantly surprised that it was nothing more than just overcarbed and quite enjoyed it after letting it settle.

Beer Here Nordic rye ale.

BeerHerenordicryeale.jpg

Hell yeah!
Been waiting for a cooler evening to try this one.
My keg of APA blew, and I this was chilled, and it is a touch coolish here this evening.
Delicious!
All the best qualities of a farmhouse and a brown ale, and more.
I gotta get me some rye!

Vale dry.

I tasted some on tap at the Mclaren Vale Brewery. Bought a six pack. Now at home drinking some. Defenitely better on tap. Bretty average in the bottle.

snipped>

It's good to see they are willing to replace the beer even though the problem is most likely handling after it's left Murray's. I'll post back here with comments once they arrive and I get to try them again

Its fair enough to lay blame with handling for freshness etc, and although if kept cool the problem might be minimized, in the end it is a brewery problem and they do accept that, otherwise every beer in dans would be the same. It must be hearbreaking in some ways for the brewer and it has happened with our beer before but in the end of the day you have to blame yourself and live and learn.

shocking photo.
View attachment 52330
poured with purfumed head. lovely floral/fruit aromas.
faint rose hue on colour
very dry finish with a light yet full body
nobel hop characteristics on taste with hints of strawberry
perhaps hints of a rice-y type flavour finish, kind of like sushi rice. not unpleasent.
yeast in bottle (so if primary fermenting yeast you could harvest).

quite a refreshing beer to drink whilst making nori rolls (see brew food section). would go really well with any japanese type cuisine. very clean in finish and seemingly high unami factor that makes you want to eat something clean like sushi. an enjoyable beer, and at 7% you get bang for your buck. im going to hunt down the other beers in the range.

Umami in beer...how so?

I must try one!

Cracked open a Lost Coast - 8 Ball Stout.

Really nice stout. Taste lingers like crazy, each sip lasts a good 30 seconds or so at least.

Got my order from the belgian shop and forgot how much I ordered! Here are a few.

First off the Gueuze. Sherberty sour to compensate for the malt sweetness I think. Wasn't what I expected but a very nice drop. Felt like it left me with a feeling on my tung that was sour but I definitely wanted more. I have 1 more of these to try so i'll indulge another time and see if it goes down the same.

Westmalle Tripel- well not overly impressed by the flavour but the mouthfeel was lovely and thick with a nice dry aftertaste.

Grand Cru- I love this beer! One of the nicest beer's iv'e tasted. Yum. I was a bit boozed at this stage so all I can tell you is it's good shit.

IMG_0506.jpg

e3abd842.jpg

A ramped up version of Old Speckled Hen. Oak and Vanilla is sooo nice! Going to pick up a rum one next time I am in the bottle shop!

Gueze number 2 for me last night, this time the Lindemans Cuve Ren
GeuzeCR75bislowr.jpg

This was heavy on the acidity (lemon/lime) and very slight on the farmyard. All in all I found it a bit one dimensional and lacking in that scrumpy/horsey lambic magic.
It seemed a pretty lightweight example of the style, more like just a sour than a lambic.

I've got a bar now - the Gueze Boon - much nicer, more complex, like belgian scrumpy - this fell well below that. Looking forward to seeing if one of the next 4 guezes can raise that bar. Better hope I don't develop a taste for Cantillon @ $32 a bottle.
B220_Boon_Geuze.jpg

Gueze number 2 for me last night, this time the Lindemans Cuve Ren
GeuzeCR75bislowr.jpg

This was heavy on the acidity (lemon/lime) and very slight on the farmyard. All in all I found it a bit one dimensional and lacking in that scrumpy/horsey lambic magic.
It seemed a pretty lightweight example of the style, more like just a sour than a lambic.

I've got a bar now - the Gueze Boon - much nicer, more complex, like belgian scrumpy - this fell well below that. Looking forward to seeing if one of the next 4 guezes can raise that bar. Better hope I don't develop a taste for Cantillon @ $32 a bottle.
B220_Boon_Geuze.jpg
If you like the Boon chances are you'll like the Cantillon. Cantillon are fantastic beers!

I (doubly) look forward to trying one now! Once again big props to Platinum Liquor, Bellevue Hill, Sydney for stocking these great beers.
I'm still able to enjoy a Gueze Boon for less than the price of 2 schooners of crap in a plastic cup from my local Megaswill Hotel. :icon_cheers:
Globalisation/modern logisitics has it upside.

It's 38 here today so what better than an early beer, cold and simple?

My local corner shop always gets in new beers and I usually like to try them so I bought this (stock photo):

Pictures%20for%20the%20website%20132%20(Small).jpg
to have with left over pizza from last night.

I know I shouldn't expect too much from a beer that states :'Best Served Ice Cold' on the label and indeed I didn't. Usually when I try new beer, I allow the bottle to rise in temp as I'm not a cold beer lover except on really hot days like this one. I'm thankful I decided to keep this one cold because if it tastes as bad as this at 2 degrees there's no imagining how awful it would be at 10 or 15.

I'd happily glug a melbourne over this shit anyday. Sulphury and salty, smells like stale warm beer and that's when it's cold.

Stay away.

Not drinking it cold enough mate, obviously!
It's gotta be served so cold that it begins to take on superconductor-like characteristics.

It conducted some pretty ordinary beer into my system as it was.

Now drinking an aspall organic cider which is much nicer.

Didn't mine their hop rocker, and this is a pretty nice drop. Not super special, but a good session beer

65c31ea9.jpg

Damn, it bloody well looks like it doesn't it. I didn't get any fly in the mouthfeel, and it wasn't there when the glass was empty so ummm, I dunno :unsure:

If it was it came out of the bottle...

Latest posts

Back