Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warner at the bay mate..... pub/bottle shop here in Newcastle area.... near lake Macquarie.

got this one as well:

MikkelleSimcoesinglehop1152x1728.jpg

It was a good beer but was a tad disapointed.

It ended up a tad too malty to let the hops really shine, but as far as good beer goes, it was up there. Well made, clean, good malt hop ballance.

All the chunky yeast that went in the glass when it was still only half poured pissed me off so though.

Nice and worth trying, but wont get any more

And i also has this:

VictoryHopWollop1152x1728.jpg

It was a great hoppy American IPA. BUt i had been spoilt by the Green Flash beers. I think ive been spoilt forever!

nice big hops, and some malt, but a tad.... harsh. It has a kind of slight wincing character to it when i took a mouthful.

If i hadnt had the green flash beers i would have called it a great IPA but it was just out classed.

nice beer and worth trying!

BUt i had been spoilt by the Green Flash beers. I think ive been spoilt forever!

I feel the same, tried green flash and some victory beers. Don't think ill ever be able to brew anything that will make me happy now haha.

Finally got around to having the Green Flash West Coast IPA - Wow.. to be honest i prefer this alot over the red (i think i may not like amarillo :eek:?). Really balanced and not too overwhelmingly bitter like some IPA's can be. Super fresh and multidimensional. I really can't do this justice as I am pretty new to describing beer.

I wish we had beers like this here. Im guessing because of the hops being harder to get/grow? or just because sadly people will drink cat piss these days

A lot of it has to do with excise tax. Much easier to pay tax on a weekly basis out of your pocket for a 5% IPA, then a 7.2% IPA. Plus a lot of the hops need to be imported.

Then again, Hop Hog is now 100% Aussie Hops, and that still tastes great. Feral Rye IPA is one of the best beers I have ever had, and that, as far as I am aware, is 100% Aussie hops. Maybe we just need more clones of Brendan Varis running around :D

A lot of it has to do with excise tax. Much easier to pay tax on a weekly basis out of your pocket for a 5% IPA, then a 7.2% IPA. Plus a lot of the hops need to be imported.

Then again, Hop Hog is now 100% Aussie Hops, and that still tastes great. Feral Rye IPA is one of the best beers I have ever had, and that, as far as I am aware, is 100% Aussie hops. Maybe we just need more clones of Brendan Varis running around :D

Ahh fair enough. The taxes here really suck, instead of drinking one decent beer aussies tend to drink a block of terrible beer..
'
Didn't know hop hog was 100% aussie hops, thats awesome because it tastes really good and isnt actually that expensive to be fair. May have to support them some more :) Will also search for the rye IPA after your recommendation of the hop rod rye ipa. Do you guys sell it?

shocking photo.
View attachment 52330
poured with purfumed head. lovely floral/fruit aromas.
faint rose hue on colour
very dry finish with a light yet full body
nobel hop characteristics on taste with hints of strawberry
perhaps hints of a rice-y type flavour finish, kind of like sushi rice. not unpleasent.
yeast in bottle (so if primary fermenting yeast you could harvest).

quite a refreshing beer to drink whilst making nori rolls (see brew food section). would go really well with any japanese type cuisine. very clean in finish and seemingly high unami factor that makes you want to eat something clean like sushi. an enjoyable beer, and at 7% you get bang for your buck. im going to hunt down the other beers in the range.

Wheredoyagetit?

View attachment 52389

St-Ambroise apricot wheat ale = yum!
if you dont like apricots you wont like this!

but if you do ? its freaken delish!

Am guessing they used flavouring as it says on the label 'flavoured beer' ? Wonder if thats natural or artificial?

View attachment 52389

St-Ambroise apricot wheat ale = yum!
if you dont like apricots you wont like this!

but if you do ? its freaken delish!

Am guessing they used flavouring as it says on the label 'flavoured beer' ? Wonder if thats natural or artificial?

I tried this about 12 months ago from from Nectar in Westend Brisbane before they closed down. Quite enjoyed it as well, and I think is was priced at only $3.50. Have not seen it on the shelf anywhere since.

Ahh fair enough. The taxes here really suck, instead of drinking one decent beer aussies tend to drink a block of terrible beer..
'
Didn't know hop hog was 100% aussie hops, thats awesome because it tastes really good and isnt actually that expensive to be fair. May have to support them some more :) Will also search for the rye IPA after your recommendation of the hop rod rye ipa. Do you guys sell it?

They don't bottle it. But we have 2 kegs coming, so we will be doing growler fills of it, once the growlers arrive.

ff66b35b.jpg

Very nice beer that was waiting for me when I got home from work. I just love Pommy Ales, wish I could brew em' half as good as this

Tried this a few times now, pretty sure I'm just not a big Pilsner fan

29c8899a.jpg

so anyways im walking around Shanghai, freezing bloody cold (about 2 deg today) and blowing a gust so it feels even colder.... turn a random corner and spot a bar: Boxing Cat Brewery. you rippa i says to myself and head on in. Its an American brew pub in the middle of the China - who would have thought. Had not heard of them,but it was warm in there and they were promising beer so i was sold

(sorry about the crappy iphone pics)
bar3.JPG

They had 6 house beers on tap, a galaxy pale ale, double ipa, porter, seasonal (didnt ask what this was), pilsner and helles. Pints of the house beers were 25 yuan, which is about $3.50

A small, but good variety of imported bottles including a few brewdog's (5am saint and hardcore IPA), a few leffe's, a few rouges (dead guy, amber) and a few other randoms. All imported beers were 40 yuan - which is about $7. Not to bad for a blonde or hardcore IPA.

As an American bar, all of the bar staff and wait staff had American names (but were all local twenty somethings that seemed disinterested). My waitress was "Monica" and the barman was "Mark". they could only just comprehend English, but what's funnier is that they put on American accents too - bad ones. On top of bad English, this provided a few giggles from myself. They knew nothing about the beer or local brewing process, but what can you expect.

1st up was a galaxy IPA, very cloudy but nice bitterness and not too fruity.

bar2__1_.JPG

Next up was the helles, light with low bitterness, nice and golden, very easy drinking

bar2__2_.JPG

Black magic porter followed this. According to the menu it contained coco powder and anco peppers. Very complex and smooth. impressed

Finished with a brewdog hardcore IPA.

Bar snacks consisted of pulled pork sliders and chilli fries - this cost 20 yaun (or about $3) and filled me completely.

All up, full belly from beer, pork and chips, nice and warm from the fire in the corner, half drunk and only $20 poorer. see you tomorrow i said to ""Mark" as i headed out the door into the bitter cold.

29c8899a.jpg

No, you just don't like this beer - its nothing special and now just a bland cheap mass produced lager - there are much better pils out there.

Made my first trip to Platinum Liquor, Bellevue Hill (Sydney) this weekend and came back with:

Went a bit 'crazy for the Gueze' as I've never been able to lay my hands on it before, only Kriek.

Massive thanks to the guy working there (didn't catch his name) but he took time on a busy Saturday evening to suggest beers and even threw in a bonus couple of bottles.

Made a gentle start on the above:

EKIM After Battle Pale Ale - Very nicely balanced APA. Massive tropical hit with grapefruit/passionfruit notes. Nothing new there I suppose but this was so nicely balanced and tasted super 'fresh' - the bottling date handwritten on the bottle was 14/1/12, so only 1 month old. I could sink a flotilla of these, great that it's local (Mt Kuringai) as well. This was sweet over bitter overall.

Gueze Boon - My first Gueze. I had a reasonable idea what to expect and wasn't disappointed. The 'Brussels Champagne' tag sums it up perfectly. Lovely champagne fizz, with horsey funk - to me it tasted a little like a spritzy Scrumpy with a whole lot more going on in the way of apple/sour etc. I'm a Gueze noob but that won't last if this is anything to go by. Was a 2007 blended one.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - On the malty side, really didn't do it for me at all.

Epic Pale Ale - Kiwi one. This was big on the gooseberry with a little grapefruit. Probably veered a little too far to the bitter over sweet for me - prefer the EKIM above. The gooseberry was nice though, and 23 hops, wow.

That's as far as I got to date - looking forward to trying the rest. My review style is a fail on the formal side but if you want to know if it had structured lacing, or what exactly the bubbles where doing at the base of the glass, buy a bottle yourself :p

29c8899a.jpg

Drank more than my fair share of this when we were in Prague. On tap and presumably fresh, it was stunning. Got home, bought a slab of it and tried to re live the magic. I was so dissapoint...
Many beers boast 'fully imported' like a badge of honour. For beers like this at least, 16 thousand odd k's of transit under questionable conditions is a death sentence.

Drank more than my fair share of this when we were in Prague. On tap and presumably fresh, it was stunning. Got home, bought a slab of it and tried to re live the magic. I was so dissapoint...
Many beers boast 'fully imported' like a badge of honour. For beers like this at least, 16 thousand odd k's of transit under questionable conditions is a death sentence.
Couldn't agree with you more Dave!
Downed pressumably my own body weight in Urquell, Budvar, Strathopramen (among others) on draught in the Czech Republic. It just simply doesn't compare.
And being a delicate subtle pilsner in a green bottle being sent across the equator, what chance does it have!?

I would dare say they brew quality better stuff with longer lagering etc. for distribution locally on draught. I went to the brewery and it is huge - they push out a lot of beer. But from all accounts even locally, it used to be better (probably before SABMiller took over).

I much prefer budvar, especially fresh, unfiltered from the lagering tank :beerbang:

where did you get the oscar ale from??
for me its the best beer steam exchange ever made
nive pic btw, u still got any blanche de chambly left? he he

Sorry, just saw this reply.

Theres a small Sip n Save on churchill road. On the left if heading toward the city. Only say 1km from The Bombay.

Not a bad little selection. I picked up some Macs which i thoroughly enjoyed.

The Oscar ale was the last bottle they had... And its still sitting in my fridge, alongside the last bottle of truffels from my carton.

Maybe one day... Sooner rather than later... Or maybe ill wait til i see the Oscar elsewhere... hmmmm decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Got my Beermasons welcome pack today.

Slightly annoyed because the Bogedal bottles cork was bent and residue was coming out of it (assuming itll be ruined...) Emailed them about it we'll see what happens.

Tried the Bison Chocolate Stout - Really nice chocolate stout, not as hoppy as some I have tried. Reminded me of my kit/grains/milo version which made me feel pretty good haha.

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek - Never had a proper Lambic before so this was an experience. Almost too sour for me at the start but wow really started to enjoy it by the end.

Lost Coast Downtown Brown - Not a fan of brown ales weirdly enough. I love porters and stouts but the whole halfway roasty/nutty and sweetness thing doesn't do it for me. Having said that it was still quite enjoyable and for the style is probably a decent example.

Latest posts

Back