Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murrays Pale ale. Nirvana.

IMG_0148.JPG
I took this to the MALE monthly Meeting and in not so subtle way it was shot down as a gusher even before I opened the beer :p

Don't worry Nick I wasn't wounded :lol:

This Beer is a gusher. Chill it well and pour it into a cold "clean" glass gently allow to site for 5 minutes.

It is great Pale ale with adequate malt so supplement the aggressive hopping.

I detect some wine like character Sauvin coupled with either Cascade an/or Amarillo.
very complex hop and unconventional for sure "as advertised"

Good head retention and an amber coulour slighty misty.
Big on the nose and a full Beer.
Reminds me of my first try of Kabooby's APA. Not as bitter though

MAtti

View attachment 25886
I took this to the MALE monthly Meeting and in not so subtle way it was shot down as a gusher even before I opened the beer :p

This Beer is a gusher. Chill it well and pour it into a cold "clean" glass gently allow to site for 5 minutes.

I detect some wine like character Sauvin coupled with either Cascade an/or Amarillo.

MAtti

I've also had a gusher before. The beer didn't taste infected so it must have been affected by heat during transport or at the bottleshop. Luckily it didn't happen with the Imperial Stout, 2IPA or Grand Cru.

BTW - I'm pretty sure that they use all NZ hops.

I have been enjoying these commercial beers this weekend.

IMG_3105small.jpg

Chocolate on chocolate with a whack of hop bitterness thrown in and a strong but hidden alcohol finish. Could not believe how good this was. Really delicious.

IMG_3110small.jpg

aromas of dark fruits backed by flavoaurs of soft light malt, dark jammy plums and fortified wines. Gentle alcohol warmth sends one to bed for a sound sleep.

IMG_3114small.jpg

Meh, -- sour earthy flavour that improves as the beer warms but felt thin and relatively lifeless.

cheers
grant

View attachment 25886

MAtti

I have had a few four packs of this from dan murphys that were the same, gushing and so over carbed its not funny. I can understand to a degre but its worse when you take it to a show and try introduce friends/work mates to microbrew beer and end up with stuff that pours like this as i have done. Really embrassasing.

I have been enjoying these commercial beers this weekend.

View attachment 25982

Chocolate on chocolate with a whack of hop bitterness thrown in and a strong but hidden alcohol finish. Could not believe how good this was. Really delicious.

View attachment 25983

aromas of dark fruits backed by flavoaurs of soft light malt, dark jammy plums and fortified wines. Gentle alcohol warmth sends one to bed for a sound sleep.

View attachment 25984

Meh, -- sour earthy flavour that improves as the beer warms but felt thin and relatively lifeless.

cheers
grant
Looking nice there Grant.
You inspired me to take a trip to Platinum Cellars at Concord/North Stratfield on the weekend. That delicious looking Brew Dog Imperial Porter was one of the many I purchased...can't wait to try it!

Looking nice there Grant.
You inspired me to take a trip to Platinum Cellars at Concord/North Stratfield on the weekend. That delicious looking Brew Dog Imperial Porter was one of the many I purchased...can't wait to try it!

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it Muggus, just make sure you don't have to do anything co-ordinated afterwards.

cheers

grant

Mikkeller_008.jpg
Weihenstephaner Festbier
Bit disappointed with this one. Didn't seem as 'bronzed' as other German-fest beers i've come across, and didn't have the nice rich maltiness that i've come to expect, seems more like a regular Helles. Rare miss from this brewery...huge fan of many of their beers.

Mikkeller_009.jpg
Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock
Nice, thick and dark. I do love a good Dopplebock, and I was quite pleased with this one. Plenty of dark chocolate and nuts, with the odd bit of dried fruit in the background. Yum!

Mikkeller_010.jpg
Mikkeller Monks Elixir
Sort of establishing itself as Mikkellers equivelent to a Trappist dark strong ale. Very big, rich and potent. Get some nice vinous fruits and port-like character to this one, seems to have more hop character than most Belgian examples. Probably a bit unbalanced, the 10% abv does become a tad apparent at times. Very nice regardless.

Today's Lunch at Aquablu bar & bistro.
2 beautiful Belgian bevvies.

08042009_002.jpg
08042009_004.jpg

Sorry cant work out how to rotate them so you'll have to turn your screen on its side :p

Today's Lunch at Aquablu bar & bistro.
2 beautiful Belgian bevvies.
Sorry cant work out how to rotate them so you'll have to turn your screen on its side :p

Frozen glasses... worst of all for Belgians! *Shudder!* <_<

Yeah i noticed that the Hoegarden had a recommended serving temp on the back of the bottle was 5.6 deg c.
The beer was freezing so i asked the girl to leave the next one and the chimay out for me. She looked at me puzzled as all hell. But i decided to not bother to trouble her with an explanation (an also in the effort to not have my wife rib me all day about being a beer geek).

Brother in law and family are landing on us over Anzac weekend and the guy loves his Corona, so as I am bottling my Solly Cerveza out of the cold conditioning fridge in the morning I decided to bottle six into a Corona six-carry-pack and accordingly bought one and trying to chug my way through it.

Corona - la thervaytha math fina as the Spanish would say.

I'm about to crack the third one, I may pour it heavily into a pint glass and flatten/warm it a bit then slug it back in one swallow. Or here's an idea, I still have some of Chappo's limes left that he gave me, I might quarter one and ....

Ha now I get the idea :lol:

God no that didn't work :( ... nothing wrong with the limes Chappo. :)

I have had a few four packs of this from dan murphys that were the same, gushing and so over carbed its not funny. I can understand to a degre but its worse when you take it to a show and try introduce friends/work mates to microbrew beer and end up with stuff that pours like this as i have done. Really embrassasing.

I've had exactly the same experience. Every bottle of the last 4 pack I bought were gushers and only managed to fill a 250mL glass.

Felt like something different last night, so went down to the local bottlo, which is just down the road. Looked at their selection. Not much really, and ended up with old faithful CPA. Cannot go wrong, this beer is fuggen awesome beer. If its on tap when im out ( rarely! ) this is what i drink.

After a couple of hours of lawn mowing yesterday pm, I was offered a Corona. Actually didn't taste too bad. Perhaps the quintessential 'lawnmower beer'. But after two I'd had enough. Whatever weak flavour is in there had gone. Got home and sent my taste buds into sensory overload with one of my APAs.

Being Easter and all, I thought I'd kick things off this morning with a fest bier:

DSC00157.JPG

Just finished a Tuatara Brewing Pilsner from New Zealand.
It's the last of my stock I acquired at my nephew's wedding in Wellington NZ in late Jan 2009.
It was a special batch lot from the brewery with my nephew's own label especially for his wedding.

It has a lovely white fluffy head, nice malty quality with some Pils malt sweetness, and an excellent dollop of Saaz hops, no doubt of NZ origin.
It's more in your face and less subtle than say a Pilsner Urquell, but it's a very refreshing Pils. I'm sorry my stock has run out.

Back