Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 31618

• get a filter
  • the initial hop flavour is so similar it's scary
  • however with the real thing the after hop lasts for about three times longer and is fantastic
  • colour adjustment required
  • I'm seventy percent there

The real thing has almost a twang of 'tobacco' in the hops if such a thing is possible.

Work in progress. Holy grail

So what recipe did you use to get to 70%?

My holy grail too and the reason i went AG.

Another attempt is next on the brewing list to go through the hand pump when it arrives

In reply to dgilks (Ross got in while I was typing)
If that is the case then I retract that statement and apologise. I still stand by the last bit.

All of my beers stay out of refrigeration for longer than 72 hours. No wonder they are so disappointing. Here I was blaming the kits!

[EDIT: that's some exciting news there, Ross!]

Bum,

The temperatures that non refriderated containers, sat on cargo decks, can get to as they travel around the world & sat on wharfs is intense. You can't blame suppliers for wanting to maintain the intergrity of their products.

Cheers Ross

So what recipe did you use to get to 70%?

My holy grail too and the reason i went AG.

Another attempt is next on the brewing list to go through the hand pump when it arrives

Actually similar to the bottle I sent down, but I've ditched the melanoidin as it was coming out far too 'malty' and I'm upping the Styrian Goldings. On tasting the bottled Landlord I'll be upping the aroma hops even more. With my version the hops are all over in a few seconds, with the genuine version the hop aroma just goes on and on and on :icon_drool2: Of course they don't do no chill at the brewery :p and I don't suppose they dry hop either so I'm thinking of getting a french press and doing the hop tea things with a couple of Styrian plugs.

.....and I don't suppose they dry hop either so I'm thinking of getting a french press and doing the hop tea things with a couple of Styrian plugs.

There's a very high chance they dry hop - But I'd put money on them NEVER French pressing.

Cheers Ross

Here's one for Dr S and Bribie since you are talking about it.

First time I had it at the Taphouse I thought it was ok, when I had it in Perth at the weekend and I let it sit for a while to warm up, I noticed a big difference. Very very tasty!!

DSC00066.JPG

Are these "grey imports" illegal?

I owned a grey import car some years back. Fantastic car, and a heap cheaper than the versions sold in Australia. Didn't make the Australian car dealers too happy I don't think. Plenty of rumours were spread around about the imports not being suitable to Australian conditions etc.

Cheers,

James

Are these "grey imports" illegal?

Cheers,

James

I don't believe so, & if you are lucky, the beer will still be fine. The trouble is these parcels are usually highly discounted distress sales, through large European Merchants, as the beer either reaches, or goes past its best before date. Hence the ability to send it all the way back to Australia & put it up for sale at a viable retail rate. I've been offered these grey imports at prices cheaper than buying direct from the Breweries in the States, but personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

cheers Ross

So is metho.

Goes well with a splash of milk, just so you know.

A now empty bottle of Otway Estate Oktoberfest and Hawthorn Pale Ale.
The Oktoberfest was pretty good actually. Reasonably malty. Went down easy which a good Oktoberfest should.

The Pale Ale isn't too bad. Slight fruity hop aroma and a medium level hop flavour in the glass.
Not an in your face pale ale but drinkable all the same. I'd hazard a guess there might be some NZ hops in there.

hawthornpale.jpg

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, found this in a bottlo in Louisville, Kentucky. Was quite a surprise, aging the ale in a bourbon barrel gave it an interesting sweetness that bourbon has, not much oak flavour. My wife loved it and I am going to be on a bit of a bender to recreate it. I think a handful of oak chips in a ferment with about 100ml of bourbon should come pretty close.

USA_Trip_2009_059.jpg

Wigram Brewing Spruce Beer. Apparently this is based on a recipe from Captain Cook and is flavoured with spruce (rimu) and tea tree (manuka). It has a really unique/intense taste that I struggled to like.
8827_171843185627_616965627_3681022_7819831_n.jpg

Green Man Choc Krystal Weisse. It sounded like an interesting combination, but it didn't really do it for me. Banana with a hint of choc.
8827_171843615627_616965627_3681023_961756_n.jpg

Pink Elephant Golden Tusk (Special). This beer was awesome. Malty, but with a good hop presence throughout.
8827_171844110627_616965627_3681026_6558696_n.jpg

Brew Moon Hophead IPA. Wasn't much hop presence. May have been past best before date?
8827_171844410627_616965627_3681027_6317976_n.jpg

Nelson Bays Brewery Bengal Tiger (IPA). Fairly mild in the hops department.
8827_171845160627_616965627_3681028_2624553_n.jpg

RedNeck real ale served from a beer engine at The Freehouse in Nelson. Not sure who the brewer is, but this is a really fruity English bitter (Best Bitter/ESB?). Really good stuff. FYI - The Freehouse (which is in a converted church) is kinda like the Taphouse in Syd/Melb with constantly rotating selection of beers. You have to go there if you're in Nelson.
8827_171846100627_616965627_3681029_7216434_n.jpg

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, found this in a bottlo in Louisville, Kentucky. Was quite a surprise, aging the ale in a bourbon barrel gave it an interesting sweetness that bourbon has, not much oak flavour. My wife loved it and I am going to be on a bit of a bender to recreate it. I think a handful of oak chips in a ferment with about 100ml of bourbon should come pretty close.

or you could just soak the chips in bourbon for a few days instead...just an idea.

Cheers
Phil

Next port of call was the oldest pub in NZ - Moutere Inn. Graeme Mahy (ex Murrays brewer now 666 Brewing) had put me onto the place as it had his new beers on tap. Turns out that this pub also has a great rotating selection of beers (a sign on the wall said that they'd served over 100 different beers in the previous year), although it is in the middle of no-where and the beers were served amongst the coldest that I've ever tasted.

Invercargill Smokin Bishop (served way too cold). Very malty and with hints of smoke. The strong flavours were a bit too much for a lunch time beer so I'd like to try it again in the depths of a cold winter.
8827_171846455627_616965627_3681030_4266150_n.jpg

666 Brewing Gabriel (served way too cold). The cold temp of the beers killed off most of the taste. I did try leaving it 10 min to warm up, but it was still cold and now had less carbonation that it should've done. Still, it was a very well made APA (Aotearoa Pale Ale) and I'd definitely give it a try again at warmer temps.
8827_171846880627_616965627_3681031_7647567_n.jpg

666 Brewing Roullette. Again the cold temps played havoc with taste of this amber ale. You could tell that it was well made, but I'll have to try it again at a warmer temp.
8827_171847090627_616965627_3681032_1860826_n.jpg

Mussel Inn Captain Cooker (Manuka Beer). I think they use just the right amount of manuka to make an interesting beer that you could easily drink a few of.
8827_171847380627_616965627_3681033_3268635_n.jpg

Tasting tray at Founders Brewery in Nelson. As noted in an earlier post, having to pay to get into the Heritage Park so that I could get to the brewery was a rort (the $7 only applies to tourists). The Long Black (Schwarzbier) and Maiden Pale Ale (NZ Pale Ale) were the pick, but the Generation Ale (Nut Brown), Red Head (Vienna) and Tall Blonde (lager) were good too.
8827_171847815627_616965627_3681034_6813994_n.jpg

Tasting tray at Founders Brewery in Nelson. As noted in an earlier post, having to pay to get into the Heritage Park so that I could get to the brewery was a rort (the $7 only applies to tourists). The Long Black (Schwarzbier) and Maiden Pale Ale (NZ Pale Ale) were the pick, but the Generation Ale (Nut Brown), Red Head (Vienna) and Tall Blonde (lager) were good too.
8827_171847815627_616965627_3681034_6813994_n.jpg

I loved all the Founders beers I tried when in NZ back in March.. good stuff.

Latest posts

Back