Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holgate Millenium Falcon DIPA from the weekend, bloody gorgeous - light and fresh and juicy as hell. For mine it sits comfortably with the best Aussie big DIPAs I've had - Feral Tusk, Kaiju Aftermath, and Akasha Korben D. Picked up a couple more and some Aftermath to do a side-by-side with on the weekend, to go with a bottle of Fixation DIPA that was already sitting in the fridge. Should be tough... :D

IMG_20170527_175721_result.jpg IMG_20170527_180218_result.jpg IMG_20170527_181009_result.jpg
IMG_20170607_170348_result.jpg

IMG_0860.JPG Another welcome find on my travels I picked up from a Walmart in Wuhan today. Tettnang hops in it give a nice edge, and it's not a bad nudge at 5%. Greene King are attempting to bring half decent beer to the Chinese masses, though I'm doubtful it will be widely welcomed as the love of warm low strength lager is their mainstay. At 9.5RMB it also comes in at the higher price end here, though expected as it's an import.
The other option on the shelf was the Yardbird Pale Ale, which was alright too.

IMG_0872.JPG The Brother in law got two cases of this for me while I stay.
Not exactly my usual sup, but I'm slowly making the effort to show some appreciation for his gesture.
The taste in two words, Goats and Piss.

Had a Barrow Boys Stormy Lager last night.
No pic i'm afraid.
However, i was quite impressed with how good it was, so i thought i should give it a mention at least.
Basically a red lager, that hits both the malt and the hops, bit more on the malt side though. Sort of like a cross between a malty red ale and a caramelly English bitter, but with a drier finish, and the floral/nectarous hops elements prominently boosting the caramel element.
A well crafted lager, IMO.

Gave these 2 a go on Saturday.

Stout I really enjoyed. Really chocolatly.dark and strong. Great winter beer.

Mosaic IPA. I was a little dubious as my past experiences with single mosaic hop beers I haven't loved. And this was the same. Well made beer but I just don't seem to like mosaic by itself.plenty of beers I really like with it in the mix

Attachments

• IMG_5640.JPG
    IMG_5640.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
was in tasmania stopped at margate train"devils brewery" tried the draught version of this beer..bought a few home.nice lot of hops

2zrno85.jpg

I wish instead of getting a handful of other stouts from Plonk I only took away a bunch of these. Its what I imagine getting coffee, chocolate and dark fruits into a beer should taste like. Plus a head kicking 10% that presents a genuine 'warmth' on the aftertaste rather than metho.
It actually made the subsequent Coopers extra stouts I had on hand taste like Tooheys Old shandys.

20170624_165835_zpsk6imrzfa.jpg

IMG_2237.JPG
Very unexpected find last week in Lijiang's Oldtown, China. Not everyone's cup of tea I realise. But in a place better known for it's tea growing, and where room temperature, low strength, low IBU beer is the usual order of the day, this blew me away. Nicely chilled, a good range, and at 35rmb each quite competitive with my local bottlo. Also my first taste of any of these as I don't usually stray far from my usual Stout. Beer education in China!?

IMG_1786.JPG

Another place another offering. The city of Dali, and Bad Monkey Brewery. This place had two bars in the same street, with questionable smells wafting throughout. Apparently they're close enough to the Golden Triangle for hash smoking to be acceptable, it was even on offer in the bar menu. Had a real, loser foreigner hangout vibe, with a couple of half alive examples of such, and not very family friendly.
This Stout was all I tried before the missus moved me along and it was delish. Little bit coffee, little bit choc, but nothing outstanding. Worth wading through the smoke for though.

I wish instead of getting a handful of other stouts from Plonk I only took away a bunch of these. Its what I imagine getting coffee, chocolate and dark fruits into a beer should taste like. Plus a head kicking 10% that presents a genuine 'warmth' on the aftertaste rather than metho.
It actually made the subsequent Coopers extra stouts I had on hand taste like Tooheys Old shandys.

20170624_165835_zpsk6imrzfa.jpg

Made a clone of this once. Drank it with cognac glasses. Well supped it from cognac glasses as it was that good, I want to make each mouthful last. Great beer, where'd you get it from?

Made a clone of this once. Drank it with cognac glasses. Well supped it from cognac glasses as it was that good, I want to make each mouthful last. Great beer, where'd you get it from?

Plonk
4.7Address: Fyshwick Markets, Mildura St & Nyrang St, Fyshwick ACT 2609
Hours:
Closed today Phone: (02) 6260 6336

I'm sure there are other outlets. Outlets that aren't closed today.

Plonk
4.7Address: Fyshwick Markets, Mildura St & Nyrang St, Fyshwick ACT 2609
Hours:
Closed today Phone: (02) 6260 6336

I'm sure there are other outlets. Outlets that aren't closed today.

Yes, but none that I can find in SA :(

Found this one http://www.beercartel.com.au/courage-russian-imperial-stout/ but for $34 plus $15 postage for a 4 pack of 275ml bottles, I'll brew another and wait for 2-3 years instead. You lucky Canberran's (now that's not often said is it?) Enjoy, :drinkingbeer:

Yes, but none that I can find in SA :(

Found this one http://www.beercartel.com.au/courage-russian-imperial-stout/ but for $34 plus $15 postage for a 4 pack of 275ml bottles, I'll brew another and wait for 2-3 years instead. You lucky Canberran's (now that's not often said is it?) Enjoy, :drinkingbeer:

I wouldn't mind that recipe, if you wouldn't mind.
Im sure I paid much less than ten bucks a pop, considering they also had 500m bottles of 10.5% Fullers RIS there for about $16. But I didn't want things to get to messy.
Also, I'm a New South Welshman. Canberra, like Tasmania is more my spiritual home.

I wouldn't mind that recipe, if you wouldn't mind.
Im sure I paid much less than ten bucks a pop, considering they also had 500m bottles of 10.5% Fullers RIS there for about $16. But I didn't want things to get to messy.
Also, I'm a New South Welshman. Canberra, like Tasmania is more my spiritual home.

Love anything Fullers also and I was given a bottle of their RIS a year or so back. Really good. Okay Mods, forgive me for being off topic, but rather than start a recipe post for a direct request, here's the recipe.

Pale Malt 41.8%
Pils Malt 29.2%
Amber Malt 14.6%
Black Malt 4.7%
white sucrose or invert sugar 9.7%
67C mash for 90 mins

Sugar added to kettle last 15 mins (or when ever)
Target hops to 50 IBU at start of boil
OG 1098
FG1018
ABV~10.7%

Condition in cask (or similar) for 2 months minimum (I did 10 months) then bottle and store for 18 months minimum.

Latest posts

Back