Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I've had the 6. Very nice dubbel, dark fruity ness going on, and a very good beer.

Sipping the Westmalle dubbel now, again, a very nice one, a bit more chocolatey or possible a light touch of smokiness??. Anyway, another great beer.

It's Sunday so what the heck, I've got a tripel karmeliet in the freezer chilling. Keen to try it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394947276.541323.jpg

coronado islander ipa nice big cough medicine

4 Pines Kolsch.

Really easy drinking and tasty. Probably my first Kolsch ever, so no idea how it stands up.

mje1980 said:
Ok so I've had the 6. Very nice dubbel, dark fruity ness going on, and a very good beer.

Sipping the Westmalle dubbel now, again, a very nice one, a bit more chocolatey or possible a light touch of smokiness??. Anyway, another great beer.

It's Sunday so what the heck, I've got a tripel karmeliet in the freezer chilling. Keen to try it.
Cheers *clink*

Dubbel & a full moon. Life is good

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394962775.076222.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986638.744140.jpg
Rogue - Captain Sig

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986663.176146.jpg
Feral - Hop Hog

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986691.192794.jpg
Feral - Watermelon Warhead

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986732.442654.jpg
Feral - Fantapants

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986754.993150.jpg
Feral - Barrel Fermented Hog

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986786.792734.jpg
Elmars - Schwarzbier

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986851.342809.jpg
Elmars - Altbier

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986901.992587.jpg
Homebrewed - Rogue Dead Guy Clone

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394986937.826200.jpg
To Ol - Juel Maelk

There was a bunch of tasters in there too and I'm not sure I'm finished yet, but that's my day so far.

OzPaleAle said:
Really digging the SN Kellerweis

Edit: Plus allows some sneaky yeast harvesting!
For the sake of people reading this in the future thought I would report back, I reckon its likely the same strain used for bottling after tasting a simple 50/50 pilsner/wheat malt straight out of the fermenter after about a week using the yeast harvested from the bottles.
Not as much banana as the original because I went with the Brewing classic styles suggested ferment temp of 17C.

I just did a tour at SN, and to confirm, the Kellerweis and Torpedo are unfiltered.

Pale is filtered and re-seeded with yeast, but not sure of the strain.

tiprya said:
I just did a tour at SN, and to confirm, the Kellerweis and Torpedo are unfiltered.

Pale is filtered and re-seeded with yeast, but not sure of the strain.
Nice! Cheers Tiprya. That's dedication, going all the way to Chico to answer an AHB question.

Ha! the 3 hour 'beer geek' tour was absolutely fantastic - their whole setup is amazing, and they take you through every stage of it in detail - I'd highly recommend it.

You know when you go to throw your 3l starter of 1272 American Ale at your disappointing cube of IPA that should have been a 1090 odd American Barley Wine, but unfortunately you missed your gravity by, what you swear was, almost 20 points?

Work colleagues were round at yours for a quiet bbq and a few drinks whilst you brew a batch to show them how what you're always talking about is done. It turns into a piss up.
Notes go out the window, readings are apparently misread, you leave it to boil for nearly 3 hours because you don't want to be a bad host now, do you ? A bit of wort caramelization wouldn't hurt, eh ?

So, imagine your surprise and delight when you take a last refractometer reading as you pitch your yeast slurry, and it reads 1094 !!

Happy days. Time for a celebratory beer and time to start another starter, cos one probably won't be enough.

Very tasty Marzen.
Never had it before, always gone for the Urbock instead, which is a better beer, but this is also very good.

Largely off topic post, I'm afraid, but I swung it around at the end there !

20140317_202024.jpg

It didn't quite make it to the glass unfortunately but halfway to the counter at Dans with an SN Porter and noticed the best before of 6/03/13….. Fresh, was looking foreword to trying it too.

Unknown.jpeg

Picture a beer in a glass. I't a leffe glass and currently it's 1/3 full.

It contains la trappe quadrupel (essentially dark strong).

La trappe have always been my least favourite trappist. Not bad beers - just not as good as most of the others. There's one new one I haven't tried and one old one (westvleteren) I havent tried.

Had this before but thought I'd refresh my memory. Not bad by any stretch but contains all the things I try and keep or age out of my strong belgians - loads of ethyl hexoanate (red apple skin ester) and warm, boozy alcohol. Cloudy brown, warm on the nose and back palate, lacking the complexity of a rochefort 10 or even westmalle dubbel.

Also had tonight, courtesy of martin OC - Hook Norton Haymaker, twelve days and youngs special london ale. Youngs I've had before and always enjoy. Spicy hops without being the US 'HELLO I AM A BEER WITH LOTS OF HOPS CAN YOU TASTE HOPS I HAVE HOPS, YOU CAN CALL ME HOPPY', plenty of yeast ester goodness and nice dry finish.

Haymaker and 12 days were great and I'll be hooking into the hooks as I've seen them around before but never tried them. I'm sure the bottles are nowhere near the fresh cask stuff you'd buy in the UK but they are still lovely. Again - malt, hops, yeast all play a starring role.

Hey DICKO and BRADSBREW I will be the first to admit that I am rude . Sorry guys . I just read the rules . I never had a warning or a 24hr ban . BRADSBREW you banned me for a week first off . Then DICKO banned me for a month . Maybe I am confused ?

Hey DICKO and BRADSBREW I will be the first to admit that I am rude . Sorry guys . I just read the rules . I never had a warning or a 24hr ban . BRADSBREW you banned me for a week first off . Then DICKO banned me for a month . Maybe I am confused ?

image.jpg
The best saison I have ever had the luck to meet :)
La moneuse 8%
Close to the best beer I ave ever taken on board !
Hints of Belgium fields full of spring and life in general .... Unghhhh ... Hick
Oops just farted ;)

Latest posts

Back