Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
null_zps699e4cd3.jpg

Vienna style lager. Yummy. Got some orangey sweet flavour from this. All in all, very nice.

Few days ago, holgate American ipa. Meh.

A day after that, summer Kölsch. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Had Feral's Golden Ace for the first time last weekend. Loved it.

Some pretty average reviews on ratebeer so wasn't expecting much, and have heard varied reports about sorachi ace, but to me it was almost saison-y with a refreshing citrus twist, really, really enjoyed it.

image.jpg
Brew dog hardcore ipa 9.2%

Been had befor by many I know .
There is something though , about an ipa brewed the way ipa's should be brewed .
Just saying this beer puts a lot of other new age ipa's to shame . You should try it if you haven't allready .
Fantastic backbone of chewy malty goodness , and the face plant of hop Dom .

image.jpg
Brewdog 90 min imperial ipa 9%
Maybe not some many have had , my 3rd or 4th , hmm well , please find it and have a crack because it is such a cool fuking beer . I like all have been swept up on the coolness of this brewery , but
Fuk it , i really don't rate this bad boy anymore :( compared to the brewdog , this doesn't even come close ).
Too sweet for mine , yeah hops , big woop . For a IIpa its very well brewed and the 9% is clean but its way too sickly sweet for me . Don't get me wrong guys , its fuking nice ! Just not what I think an ipa should be . Nowhere near enough malt , chasing my tail a bit now but if you have the choice go the hardcore from brewdog x

Had a Holgate APA, then Bridge Road Irish Red Ale, then the above.

Balance on the Hop Hog is quite good, nice pine/citrus nose but not bitter enough IMO for an IPA. Maybe FWH involved. Would explain the smooth bitterness and perceived lower IBU.
The body probably keeps this in IPA range rather than an APA on the extreme ends of style. Not thin at all, flavours hold up well throughout the glass.

Holgate APA was interesting but too clear for me! Maybe the filtering unbalanced the flavours. I do prefer unflitered beer I think. Most filtered I have had just seem wrong on my palate.
I really like their ESB though. Can't find it anywhere though.

The Red Ale was my first in the style I believe...nice malty aroma but by the end of the glass too sweet for me. Nice enough on occasion but I wouldn't go back for more right away.

Just smoking a lump of pork belly over mead-soaked applewood chips and having a Yona Yona on my first father's day !

Nice beer for a warm melbourne afternoon...is there a hint of vanilla in the finish of this beer, or am I going mental ? I like it.

Hops are kicking off in a big way too...life is good !

For a father of two under 18 months today was a big early fathers day. Started out at craftbrewer with dad, the wife n kids in tow for a few tastings. Left there with a new grain bag and ph stabilizer. Onwards to archive bar for lunch and the reason I'm surprised I'm still typing. I had all intentions of writing descriptive tastings of the mixed six I brought home but, well, hopefully the pics will explain the mindless ramblings.

Started of with a bridge roads bling bling IPA. Too clever to take pics. Had this before and my god it's ridiculous. In a lovely way.

image.jpg
Next was rogues hazelnut brown nectar. Way too sweet. Nuttiness tasted thin like essence. Aroma warmed to smell of lukewarm butter. Nevertheless, drank down happily. Haha

image.jpg
Couple of stouts next. This one was recommended by the guy at archive. Founders breakfast stout. Being a newbie to the dark beers I found this pretty enjoyable. I wish u could tell you why but....

image.jpg
Green flash double stout. Enjoyed this slightly more than the founders although it had a slight piney flavour I'm not so keen on. Big, roasty flavour tho. And at 8.3% things start getting blurry from here on in.

image.jpg
Got this one to measure what a pro can do with the same hop I've used and thought I knew. Far out, the aroma was awesome. I wouldn't say passionfruit, but definitely a similar, tingly, fruit tingle type smell and taste. I can remember being slightly intimidated by how good this was.

image.jpg
This was the sixth nail in the coffin. And probably why I'm gonna regret this tomoro. If I could explain why this was so good I would but I can't so enjoy the pic. I'm off now to enjoy a couple of light home brew beers around that safe 6% mark.

Fathers day special
Harviestoun schiehallion
Harviestoun bitter and twisted
Stone and wood pacific ale
Murrys whale pale
Chimay white

Picked a few beers friday night for something different;
3: Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier M�en - Poured a beautiful dark brown/ruby. Aroma was matched with the environment as one of the neighbours had their pot belly stove on and the smoke was barely perceptible outside. Just a subtle smokey/bacony aroma and flavour that didn't linger too long on the palate, that was kind of washed away by some other roasty/toasty caramel malt and supported by just a touch of bitterness. Excellent Rauchbier.

First rauchbier ive ever tried. I like it.

Will definately be experimenting with some Wey smoked malt in my next Porter/stout.
Anyone out there have any advice on the percentage of smoked malt for a similar impact as this beer.

thanks. josh

IMG_03541.JPG

Got this in a gift pack from Dans
Sweet pilsner malt and a little fruity little warmth from alcohol

Josh SA said:
First rauchbier ive ever tried. I like it.

Will definately be experimenting with some Wey smoked malt in my next Porter/stout.
Anyone out there have any advice on the percentage of smoked malt for a similar impact as this beer.

thanks. josh
In my opinion Wey Rauch will not get you the smokiness of Schlenkerla. So use it as a pil base malt if you really want the smokiness.

Trois monts, followed by a chimay blue. ******* awesome

Another Europe trip photo.

Helles and Dunkel

Delicious.

image.jpg

James Squire Jack of Spades porter. Dan Murphy had them for $12.00 a 6 pack. I'm pretty happy with it, much better than anticipated.

di-713781260405.jpg

Picked up one of the Hobgoblin Gift Tubes from Dan's on the weekend...bottle of Hobgoblin and a new 500mL glass too WIN WIN! :D

Back