Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was only just at Creatures a week ago.... Still as nice as ever!

Maybe it was a slab of old stock or something, but I'm pretty sure he got it from Dan's so I'd expect the turnover to be reasonable. Guess it was just mis treated in transit, and yeah, I always pour my beers into a glass nowadays, one of the many good things I've picked up here

Maybe it was a slab of old stock or something, but I'm pretty sure he got it from Dan's so I'd expect the turnover to be reasonable. Guess it was just mis treated in transit, and yeah, I always pour my beers into a glass nowadays, one of the many good things I've picked up here

I didn't really mean to sound like that, Im quite happy to swill out of a bottle, but LCPA for some reason is just better fresh from the tap. I live just down the road from Creatures nearly close enough to be a local... Occasionally I might buy a six pack or a bottle in a pub and some of them are just not the same. Maybe next time I should try pouring one see if that makes a difference.

It's wierd I have just discovered James Squire Sundown and I love it (didnt get a good wrap on here) gave a bottle to a friend that loves Hahn Super Dry and they gave it back saying it tastes like that little creatures beer. (which is so does not) I have had friends say that about my homebrew... It's wierd how any beer that has taste they refer to Creatures.

a few drinky drinka drinka drinks

SANY0315.JPG

SANY0301.JPG

Lager makes me happy vodka makes me mean, i'am a heavy metal drinking drivin alcohol machine

SANY0291.JPG

Lust_001.jpg
Chopper Heavy Lager
Couldn't help by HTFU and buy sixer of this when I saw it in Dans the other day.
Bit of an odd one, reminds me a bit of Coopers Pale Ale, in lager form. Not sure if that's a good thing though...

Lust_004.jpg
Eisenbahn Lust
A far cry from the Chopper Beer. Brazilian brewed "Champagne-style" Belgian strong ale.
For anyone who's tried Deus, it's very similiar (but a bit cheaper). Really sweet and thick, with a champagne-like carbonation, and nice ripe fruits and spice on the body.
Seems to recommend a flute to serve out of, but bugger me it's an ordeal to pour a decent glass worth!

Grabbed a six pack of the Fat Yak last night... and at last Matilda Bay have made a beer I like! It was nice and warm outside and I had done a Km in the pool... They went back a treat, very easy drinking but nice and balanced I thought. Nothing like the label says on the back... but still a nice beer would buy it again.

I didn't really mean to sound like that, Im quite happy to swill out of a bottle, but LCPA for some reason is just better fresh from the tap. I live just down the road from Creatures nearly close enough to be a local... Occasionally I might buy a six pack or a bottle in a pub and some of them are just not the same. Maybe next time I should try pouring one see if that makes a difference.

It's wierd I have just discovered James Squire Sundown and I love it (didnt get a good wrap on here) gave a bottle to a friend that loves Hahn Super Dry and they gave it back saying it tastes like that little creatures beer. (which is so does not) I have had friends say that about my homebrew... It's wierd how any beer that has taste they refer to Creatures.

yeah im a big fan of the sundowner, actually everything JS do is good imho had there porter the other night at a lebanese restaurant and it went down a treat with some baba ghanouj and some awesome marinated lamb.

the first time i tried LCPA was on tap so i guess to give it a fair second opinion i should try it on tap again, next time i see it on tap i will give it a go

im still keen to try their bright ale as ive heard its not too bad.

what other beers do matilda bay have that are worth trying as i love the fat yak and want to try there other brews

cheers
carty

Yeah in Summer the sundown is going down a treat. Just like the Fat Yak did last night. I remember the first time it tried LCPA probably 6 years ago now and I was blown away once again I was lucky enough to be at the brewery. Then the Bright ale came along and I felt like I wasted a pint LCPA to try the bright ale. I need to try that one again.

As for James Squire I like there IPA, and sundown... I used to love the Golden Ale but they have dumbed that beer down.

Matilda Bay I have never being a fan of, but I thought I would treat my self to a six pack of Fat Yak last night. Love them went down really easy. Had a nice bitterness to the finish that I like. The label says its very hoppy but I found it was not. I don't need beers that are over 40IBU all the time espeacially when the weather is warm.

They do Alpha Pale Ale which is meant to be alot hoppier then the Fat Yak I don't remember the taste of it though, Beez Neez which tastes infected to me. Bohemian Pilsner which is not bad I have that on tap if there is nothing else that takes my fancy. And the Dogbolter which is a dark ale.... as for worth trying well I guess there all worth a try (except Beez Neez).... Oh and of cause Redback Original... wierdly it does go well with a slice of lemon.

Yeah in Summer the sundown is going down a treat. Just like the Fat Yak did last night. I remember the first time it tried LCPA probably 6 years ago now and I was blown away once again I was lucky enough to be at the brewery. Then the Bright ale came along and I felt like I wasted a pint LCPA to try the bright ale. I need to try that one again.

As for James Squire I like there IPA, and sundown... I used to love the Golden Ale but they have dumbed that beer down.

Matilda Bay I have never being a fan of, but I thought I would treat my self to a six pack of Fat Yak last night. Love them went down really easy. Had a nice bitterness to the finish that I like. The label says its very hoppy but I found it was not. I don't need beers that are over 40IBU all the time espeacially when the weather is warm.

They do Alpha Pale Ale which is meant to be alot hoppier then the Fat Yak I don't remember the taste of it though, Beez Neez which tastes infected to me. Bohemian Pilsner which is not bad I have that on tap if there is nothing else that takes my fancy. And the Dogbolter which is a dark ale.... as for worth trying well I guess there all worth a try (except Beez Neez).... Oh and of cause Redback Original... wierdly it does go well with a slice of lemon.

cool thanks mate, i will have to try and hunt them down.

cheers
carty

Wells Waggle Dance

IMG_2813.JPG

SWMBO came home the night before last with this for me, i had to sit down and then ask "why are you buying me beer"?
SWMBO "no reason"
Me "well this is a bit out of the ordinary, what are you up to"?
SWMBO "i want a baby"
Me :unsure: "oh f#$k, a baby will cost you more than 1 botle of beer"

Anyway back to the beer, i expected more honey in the flavour all in all quite a nice golden ale.

Wells Waggle Dance

View attachment 25383

SWMBO came home the night before last with this for me, i had to sit down and then ask "why are you buying me beer"?
SWMBO "no reason"
Me "well this is a bit out of the ordinary, what are you up to"?
SWMBO "i want a baby"
Me :unsure: "oh f#$k, a baby will cost you more than 1 botle of beer"

Anyway back to the beer, i expected more honey in the flavour all in all quite a nice golden ale.

Hmmmm bit sad. Wonder how long it will be before Wells eventually overtakes all the Young's brands?

Warren -

Hmmmm bit sad. Wonder how long it will be before Wells eventually overtakes all the Young's brands?

Warren -

I'd say in Australia at least its proberly already happened, I image bombardier out sells all the youngs range put together.

The one small thing I'll say in Well's defence is that that the Young's range seem more freely available than they once were here. First Choice Liquor seem to carry most of the range.

Warren -

Some of the new ones from this year

Unibroue 3 pack on special for 34 dollars i think.

The Trois Pistoles, was the pick of the bunch, and sadly the La Fin Du Monde, was flat, seeing the cork was rotten I would be pointing fingers there.

Unibroue___3_Pack.JPG

Unibroue__Trois_Pisoles.JPG

Unibroue___Maudite.JPG

Unibrou___La_Fin_Du_Monde.JPG

I was expecting the Raftman to be smokey seeing it is supposedly been made with peat smoked whiskey malt, but it was not. Regardless it was a very enjoyable beer.

the 55 APA was also a good, standard APA the sort of beer you would like to make a session out of, and the White was also good, but not Hoegaarden great. It was very heavy on the citrus notes, perhaps overly so.

3_Ravens_55_APA.JPG

3_Ravens_White.JPG

Unibroue_Raftman.JPG

Georg Schneiders - Wiesen Edel Weisse An organic american wheat beer, with cascade and hallertau as the hops. Which was a odd combination. mind you the cascade was very very subtle.

Lindermans gueuze - i love sour beers, and this is no exception. spritzy, sour, and prickly on the tongue. loved it

Schofferhofer Grapfruit weizen was surprisingly good. a great breakfast beer, and at 2.5% not going to wipe you out. i suspect that the sweetness of the fruit juice would be a bit sickly after a few

Schofferhofer_Grapfruit_weizen.JPG

Georg_Schneiders___Wiesen_Edel_Weisse.JPG

Lindermans_Gueuze.JPG

The last Coopers Sparkling Ale I had was two years ago when I bought a carton on special while in Cairns. I didn't really think much of it apart from the ABV, it struck me as heavy, not too refreshing, a little 'bready' and not as clean tasting as my beloved Hollandia :lol: I'd been drinking the odd bottle off and on since arriving in Aus in the 70s but was never blown away by the stuff.

Of course that was long before my return to home brewing. I was in Liquorland tonight and noticed they had a 3-deal on sparkling tallies for $15 and I bought 3 as a need a few tallie robust crown sealers for putting into comps, taking to club etc. Also Aussie Ale is coming up in a comp later in the year so I suppose I should make an effort and give it another taste.

I just poured a pint and a whack of aroma hops hit me as I opened the bottle. Fragrant, sweet. Is that POR used as aroma or do they put in a bit of Saaz or something? Smooth malt then a sweetish lingering finish on the sides of the tongue. No harshness at all on the bittering but it slowly blossoms after the swallow and lets you know it's there. Surely this can't be boring stodgy old Coopers that only really has the trendy w&nk yeast in the bottle going for it?

Man the scales have fallen from my eyes tongue. I love this stuff. And it's the first drink of the day so it's hiting virgin tastebuds right now. One down two to go. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Bought a few of these this arvo.

Picture.jpg

Will wait 'til sunday before cracking one. But I really want to try one now.

Nectar. The only variety they had. I would've given Era a look too if my legs weren't so tired. I quizzed the dude who was serving 'bout if they were getting more in but he was unsure, but implied they may get more (wasn't Chris, the dude there who knows his stuff).

Back