Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never used to mind drinking this anytime I was dragged along to ikea. mind you the last time i drank it was about 4 years ago. so tastes have changed. cant be anyworse than the megaswill around.

anywho my actual post is this...my shopping list of beers to buy tonight and then try (not in 1 sitting). have a few tastings with my old man over the next few weeks.
Heller-Trum Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Smoke Beer
Bridge Road Brewers Chevalier Saison
Dupont - Saison
Flying Dog Horn Dog Barley Wine
G Schneider & Son Aventinus Weizen Wheat Bock
Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus Classic Doppelbock
Duvel Strong Golden Ale - just because i love it.
Belhaven Twisted Thistle India Pale Ale
Murrays Icon 2IPA India Pale Ale
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus Lambic
Cantillon Kriek Cherry Lambic
Brouwerji Sterkens St Paul Triple
Brouwerij der Trappisten van Westmalle Westmalle Triple
Dupont La Biere de Beloeil Biere de Garde Strong Ale
Grupa Zywiec - Pilsener
The Little Brewing Co. Wicked Elf Pilsener
Privatbrauerei Josef Sigl Trumer Pils Pilsener
3 Ravens Black Ale
3 Ravens White Witbier
Trappistes Rochefort No. 10 Strong Ale
Trappistes Rochefort No. 8 Strong Ale

thats 20 beers @ $181. I could be temped to make it a round $200 if theres any suggestions.

edit:
St Bernardus Abt 12 Strong
St Bernardus Grottenbier Dark
Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale old favourite
Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Strong Ale

thats 24 beers ~@205.

Edit: after entering it on the website thats actualy 25 @ $198 after a 10% mixed dozen discount. any comments before i purchase?

Geezuz! What were you thinking! Thats a crap list....better bring them over here to drink rather than insult your old man :D

Cheers,
Jake

Cracked open a Crown Ambassador I've had sitting in the fridge since they came out.

Shared it around at BABB's last week, Ian from MT Brewery reckons if you've got a bottle, drink it now, he was going home to crack his two ;)

Cracked open a Crown Ambassador I've had sitting in the fridge since they came out.

Shared it around at BABB's last week, Ian from MT Brewery reckons if you've got a bottle, drink it now, he was going home to crack his two ;)
Funnily enough I was thinking about this other night...

How was it Geoff?

All reviews thus far have been very positive, though I get the impression it might be best drunk yoing because of the use of Galaxy hops, seemling for aromatic and flavouring purposes. I could imagine they'd loose their beautiful aroma after a bit of age in the bottle.

Trying to remember what the flavour was like, the hops had faded away from what Ian was telling us, he'd cracked one when it had come out, so at least had some history of the brew to look back on.

To be honest I can't pigeon hole it, it was kind of like a Dubbel but not, but still a very good drop.

last night's offerings.

IMG_0024_1_.jpg
IMG_0005_1_.jpg

must admit i think i prefered the dubbel over the Quad.

Must have been good as you were lying on your side by that stage :lol: :lol:

I'm currently drinking Tasman Bitter.

Yes that's right. My good buddy gave me a Muntons Gold Old English Bitter for my birthday in January. I reckon the kit must be really old as well because It's turned out blacker than the river Styx with a treacle taste. I'm cutting it with Tasman and it ends up as a very dark mulberry coloured ale. Beautifully clear like a stained glass window when you look through it.

Just had a swig of pure Tasman. Thank God I'm a home brewer. :p

Must have been good as you were lying on your side by that stage
Snort! I nearly had beer coming out my nose! Brill! :D
I'm currently drinking Tasman Bitter.

Yes that's right. My good buddy gave me a Muntons Gold Old English Bitter for my birthday in January. I reckon the kit must be really old as well because It's turned out blacker than the river Styx with a treacle taste. I'm cutting it with Tasman and it ends up as a very dark mulberry coloured ale. Beautifully clear like a stained glass window when you look through it.

Just had a swig of pure Tasman. Thank God I'm a home brewer. :p
Isn't that weird? I've been blending an Everard's Amber ale by extract which was pure unadulterated disappointment with one of my anise stouts to mask the mediocrity- it sure tastes peculiar, and has made me think of the colour purple, but until now, describing the flavour has escaped me- its _mulberry_. Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and yes, the Tasman is really only good for the empty bottle with a nice shapely curve. Better to stick with those sawn-off Dutch Bavarias! ;)

Forgot to take a photo but had one of these on the weekend, brilliant, it was 5 years old and had a use by date on it of 2028!!!!
Not as sour as some Cantillion products, and a nice restrained funk, zesty and refreshing, slight urinal smell but in a good lambic way, drying finish, nice change from regular saccharomyces brewed beer._geuze_boon.jpg_.jpg

Dear Adelaide brewers/commercial drinkers:

Can you post whenever you come across a good score at a bottle-o?

I realise that might have been happening in the past, but I've now subscribed to the thread so I won't miss out on all the neat import specials and 'get a free glass' deals in the future.

(The reason for my interest on glass deals is posted here, just for the record)

Dear Adelaide brewers/commercial drinkers:

Can you post whenever you come across a good score at a bottle-o?

I realise that might have been happening in the past, but I've now subscribed to the thread so I won't miss out on all the neat import specials and 'get a free glass' deals in the future.

(The reason for my interest on glass deals is posted here, just for the record)

Just to let you know, the Vintage Cellars at Adelaide Central Markets (you were going there today) normally has a deal on Harviestoun's Bitter And Twisted, Schiehallion, Old Engine Oil and Deuchars IPA. Any 3 bottles for $10. Excellent value IMHO!

C&B
TDA

Just to let you know, the Vintage Cellars at Adelaide Central Markets (you were going there today) normally has a deal on Harviestoun's Bitter And Twisted, Schiehallion, Old Engine Oil and Deuchars IPA. Any 3 bottles for $10. Excellent value IMHO!

C&B
TDA

Much appreciated. I might head over anyway, even though the La Trappe glass packs have sold out.

Brewday_3_013.jpg
Bridge Roads Chevalier Biere De Garde
Wasn't too sure about this one. Only ever tried one other biere de garde before this (3 Monts), and didn't enjoy that as much as I hoped.
Seems a bit flabby, and overly citrusy and spicy...I dunno...something just didn't seem right... my spider senses went off.
Anybody else every tried this?
Brewday_3_014.jpg
Cantillon Gueuze Bio
Oh yeah! Sourness aplenty!
I actually found this oddly more approachable (ie, not as unbareably sour) as the Framboise(Rose) and Kriek. Plenty of cider vinegar, green apple and sour grapes on the body, a touch of horsy funk keeps it all the more interesting. Gonna have to put one of these down for a few years.

Yep. First time I had one I was a de Garde virgin. I've been back a couple of times since, and I think that there's variability between the bottles. The last I had was more enjoyable, but that could be because my tasting skills have encountered more variety and flavours since the first time. Then again, the different bottles could also be from different batches ;)

View attachment 25186
Bridge Roads Chevalier Biere De Garde
Wasn't too sure about this one. Only ever tried one other biere de garde before this (3 Monts), and didn't enjoy that as much as I hoped.
Seems a bit flabby, and overly citrusy and spicy...I dunno...something just didn't seem right... my spider senses went off.
View attachment 25187
Cantillon Gueuze Bio
Oh yeah! Sourness aplenty!
I actually found this oddly more approachable (ie, not as unbareably sour) as the Framboise(Rose) and Kriek. Plenty of cider vinegar, green apple and sour grapes on the body, a touch of horsy funk keeps it all the more interesting. Gonna have to put one of these down for a few years.
I find the Bridge Rd Biere De Garde a little cloying in the finish. A little too much residual sugars or something. I tried it around the same time as a Biere De Garde called Milliacus and the latter was a far superior beer for mine.
Cantillon are just brilliant. I love the intense sourness of the fruit versions, particularly the Rose de Gambrinus...

3 pints of Rogers tonight down the mighty Quinn - $7 a pint. Lovely drop and a good 3.8% for a week night!

C&B
TDA
All VC stores should have that deal. and it should almost be permenant deal. they have a special agreement/purchase arrangement. its been neigh on 6 months now that the've offerred it. although just be careful some stores aren't offering the lager (B&T) as part of the 3 deal. no idea why idiots. generally its the stupid store management. they have let their standards fall significantly over the past few years,

Doing my bit for the economy (and Platinum Liquors balance sheet!).

BTW, what a bloody fantastic range of beers they have, beats the sh1t out of St Dans.

P3070002.jpg

Enjoyed the La Fin Du Monde, spicy, clovey. Then i read it was a Canadian beer! Well done those Kanuks.
Drinking the Westmalle Dubbel now - Meh, I've made a better dubbel than this.... ;)
Eisbock, what can i say, damn good, lots of plum and lots of alcohol!
Strong Suffolk - wow, get you hands on this if you like your beers dark and stormy! Like having a plum pudding in a glass!
Cantillon - I can now say i have had it. That is the last one i will have. Never been a sour puss. <_<
3 Monts, a ripper, will be trying to brew this one soon.
Mc Chouffe - daughter picked this because of the elf on the label, damn nice beer.

Also got a Westmalle Triple, La Chouffe and a Saison Du point in the fridge for next weekend!

DK :D

LN seem to be doing a lot of promotion on this 'new' Steinlager on the web.

spure.jpg

Sorry - but at 18.99 a 6 pack - including a wanky bottle opener thang - this is shite, poor value, very ordinary swill.

I remember from when I lived in new zealand - Steinlager was clean, crisp, fresh. This OTOH smells 'stewed' - has a slightly burnt flavour - reminiscent of stale tea. Has a slimy mouthfeel - is not refreshing, does not have a single appealing character in my opinion.

I will drink the other 5 over time - keen to see what SMWBO thinks.

Anyone else tried it? I gave it 9/20. My lowest score ever.

RM

Couple of ciders over dinner with the girlfriend
Dinner_008.jpg
Eric Bordelet Sydre Argelette
Authentic French stuff. Corked and vintage dated 2006 (apparently).
Really interesting drop, i'd daresay has a bit of 'farm house' character. Soft carbonation, plenty of sweet apple upfront, but finishes quite funky with a bit of hay, oak and mustiness. Wasn't sure I liked it or not.
Dinner_009.jpg
Henry of Harcourt Kingston Black
I was quite astounded when I read 11.4% alcohol on the bottle. Seems hardly noticeable at first drinking, plenty of rich stewed apple flavours, undertones of ripe stonefruit, not too much acid. Once it warms up, BAM, the alcohol hits home pretty hard.
Didn't mind it, i'd keep it chilled next time.

Back