Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting through a sixpack of 2006 Coopers Vintage today. I took the day off after a particularly horrid night brewing a wit with a stovetop cereal mash nightmare. Anyway these are great, smooth and nutty.

at the wheaty again on yesterday afternoon, tried Rogers, and Little Creatures Pilsner, the first little creatures beer ive liked as i am not a huge fan of the pale ale.

again no photos

also found out something useful, the wheaty has no kitchen, was dissapointed i could not devour a parmy with my beer. mmmm cheese platter to the rescue.

cheers
carty

As stated...a misconception. When i go to see the oldies in melbourne i have to waste my legs and walk about 5 metres from the supemarket. In QLD though, i have to drive.
Once again, as stated "Damn the Bligh government"

In the same way that Woolies (BWS) and Coles (Liquorland) scored their licences, where you just walk through an archway from the baked beans to the booze. I believe that in Victoria they don't even do that and the beer is in the normal aisles or is that a misconception?

View attachment 23270

Edit: or was Jase referring to IKEA? now that would be strange.

Got a couple of nice beers for the first friday night in march.

Im interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the beers. Especially the 3 Monts.

Was reading up on it and says its good for aging. I may get another one and mark........ "Do not open till 2015"

http://internationalbeershop.com.au/produc...?product_id=133

cheers

3_Monts___Maudite__549_x_824_.jpg

Jebus, I've got half a six pack of Dead Guy Ale sitting in the fridge because I didn't like it that much. It was pricey for here too, I think I paid $14 for the sixpack.

Maybe the trip across the pond helps the flavour? ;)

You might be right there Zizzle - send the rest of the 6 pack over to me for a proper evaluation, and you'll free up some fridge space into the bargain :p

Was reading up on it and says its good for aging. I may get another one and mark........ "Do not open till 2015"

cheers
Tried Maudite a couple of times. Quite a good Belgian strong, sort of like a dubbel I guess. Bit different from authentic Belgian examples, but that's how Unibroue beers tend to be. Not to mention have that somewhat spicy 'house' yeast character.

3 Monts on the other hand I wasn't too sure about. Only tried it once quite a few years back. Wasn't really sure what to expect, but it seemed a bit bland for a what it was, and the slightest bit skunky. The bottle also was a major pain in the ass to open!
I could have got a bad bottle, so i'm willing to give it another just in case.

cheers

Definately give it a shot Tony, I haven't had the 3 Monts but I've had Gavroche which is also a BDG from the same brewery. I thought it was really good.

Just spent a few weeks in the US and got lucky with the 6 pack release from Sierra Nevada in late January which was 2 weeks before I purchased.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Linky from the brewery

Malt and hop breakdown linky

Beautiful IIPA, 7.2% and 70IBU. Lingering bitterness which makes its way through a big punch in the face of hops and malt sweetness. Medium body, excellent balance. If anything, VERY similar to Murrays Icon 2IPA, just more citrus in taste. Big aroma, big beer, big flavour. Wonderful. Purchased at some little Chinese grocer in Monterey, California, around 2 hours south of San Francisco. Gives me the urge to brew something similar again. Just can't seem to make it over the 5% of late. Damn it, next weekend for another hop overload!!

P2220005.JPG

Well, I'm intrigued. I haven't had one for about 20 years, but Bribie keeps talking about it so I picked up a tallie of this on the way from work today.

melbourne_bitter.jpg

We shall see... ;)

Quite a few beers on the table this week, of various varieties.

Boon_079.jpg
Jamiesons Beast IPA
Tried it off tap a few years back, glad to find it in bottle form.
Big body, big bitterness, and big upfront hops that linger forever.
Quite similiar to Murrays 2IPA, would love to do a side-by-side.
Boon_080.jpg
Youngs Bitter
Tried a couple of British beers in this sitting, this one tends to be in the middle.
Standard sort of English pub bitter, not overly crystal malt accentuated though.
Boon_081.jpg
Aecht Schlenteria Rauchbier Marzen (spelling!?)
Woah! Smoke! And where there's smoke there's fire...
Oh wait, no there isn't. Just a nice rich full malt-bodied lager with amazing smoke complexity...burning wood, bacon.
One of those beers you just have to try before you die!
Boon_082.jpg
Aecht Schlenteria Rauchbier Weizen (imagine trying to order that at a bar!)
Bit different from the Marzen.
Not as rich, has lively and creamy body of a wheat beer, still plenty of smoke but not as intense, with some nice underlying tropical fruit/banana/clove complexities you'd expect from hefeweizen.
Boon_084.jpg
St Bernardus Pater 6
Almost seems like a Belgian amber ale or something.
Nice malt body, with some yeasty complexity
Boon_085.jpg
St Bernardus Tripel
Yum! Very nice Belgian strong indeed.
Big body, bit dry, plenty of ripe fruit esters to ponder over.
Boon_086.jpg
St Bernardus Prior 8
Bit like the Pater 6, but bolder, more complex, slightly roasted maltiness almost chocolate like. Very nice indeed.

Still have the St Bernardus 12 to go! :icon_drool2:

Seeing all these Beligan beers reminds me of... Belgium!

SORRY FOR THE BIG PHOTOS, DIDN'T REALISE!

IMGP3392.jpg

IMGP3399.jpg

IMGP3387.jpg

IMGP3386.jpg

IMGP3391.jpg

IMGP3408.jpg

IMGP3410.jpg

IMGP3411.jpg

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Nice! Were those taken in Bruges Mayo?

Seriously, where do you find them?
Most of what you see here is a result of my addiction to mail ordering beers from online beer stores. Very expensive addiction! :(
And the British ones (there are more pics of them to come) are from a local independant bottleo, Jims Cellars. Always have something new every time I got in there, so I can't resist!

Well, I'm intrigued. I haven't had one for about 20 years, but Bribie keeps talking about it so I picked up a tallie of this on the way from work today.

View attachment 24915

We shall see... ;)
I was brought up on the stuff too, tried one the other day out of interest and while it does have the classic CUB taste it had quite good bitterness and body and even a little flavour. Easily the pick of the CUB regular beers.

Cheers, Andrew.

I was brought up on the stuff too, tried one the other day out of interest and while it does have the classic CUB taste it had quite good bitterness and body and even a little flavour. Easily the pick of the CUB regular beers.

Cheers, Andrew.
I agree. Wont rush out and buy anymore, but if I was forced to drink mega-swill this would be my pick.
Cheers,
Jake

More of a religious experience than a beer
View attachment 24993
Highly recommended

MHB
Not wrong about it being a religous experience! What a beer!

I was stoked to hear that we can actually get it down this way. Might have to invest in some!...like i need more beer :p

My week of beer tastings continues...
Belgians_003.jpg
St Peters Best Bitter
Simple British quaffing ale, more malt-driven than hoppy.

St Peters Honey Porter
The nose on this beer is amazing! Not overtly honey-like, more vanilla-ry and perfumey. All layered on top of a particularly dry and bitter porter. Well worth a try.

Wells Bombardier Burning Gold
Wasn't a huge fan of this one. Really zesty sort of English golden ale, bit metallic possibly a tad skunked.

Wells Bombardier Satanic Mills
Quite a nice porter. Plenty of body and roasted malt character, yet relatively smooth.

Rogue Kells Irish Style Lager
American-brewed Irish lager? Not bad, clean bodied lager, subtle hops and malt.

Rogue Mocha Porter
I was expecting some additions of real coffee/chocolate in this one, no such luck. Otherwise its a very nice porter, has mocha flavour of sorts derived from roasted malts.

Then the big 3 Belgian dark strong ales
Belgians_005.jpg
Abbaye des Rocs Brune
I was instantly reminded of an aged Chimay Bleu with this one. Big, rich, lengthy malt body with hints of chocolate, berries, dried fruit and spice. Very smooth.
Belgians_002.jpg
St Bernardus 12
Unfortunately this one was a gusher! :(
Wound up with half a glass, which just wasn't enough. Really creamy and yeasty beer. Sweet cake and dried figs on the body, this is a really lucious beer.
Belgians_001.jpg
Trappistes Rochefort 8
My favourite of the lot. Lovely velvet-like texture, feels sensational on the tongue. Deeply complex; spice, dried fruit, brown sugar; almost like a fruit cake in a glass. Highly recommended!

I found these Belgian beers really come out of their shell when they've not only warmed up, but have got a bit of air to them. I found the Rochefort a bit sharp straight out the fridge...poured it into my glass, let it breath and warm up over a few minutes...completely different beer.
It's true what they say!

stuff in Ikea this morning so apparently its Swedish beer. Special Christmas Brew.

Spendrups Julbrygd 5.3 - made from Barley Malt, Hops and Water.
, at least nicer than the single beer advocate review would have you believe. The 5.3 is a Euro Dark Lager and is nice too in a weird kinda way.
I never used to mind drinking this anytime I was dragged along to ikea. mind you the last time i drank it was about 4 years ago. so tastes have changed. cant be anyworse than the megaswill around.

anywho my actual post is this...my shopping list of beers to buy tonight and then try (not in 1 sitting). have a few tastings with my old man over the next few weeks.
Heller-Trum Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock Smoke Beer
Bridge Road Brewers Chevalier Saison
Dupont - Saison
Flying Dog Horn Dog Barley Wine
G Schneider & Son Aventinus Weizen Wheat Bock
Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus Classic Doppelbock
Duvel Strong Golden Ale - just because i love it.
Belhaven Twisted Thistle India Pale Ale
Murrays Icon 2IPA India Pale Ale
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus Lambic
Cantillon Kriek Cherry Lambic
Brouwerji Sterkens St Paul Triple
Brouwerij der Trappisten van Westmalle Westmalle Triple
Dupont La Biere de Beloeil Biere de Garde Strong Ale
Grupa Zywiec - Pilsener
The Little Brewing Co. Wicked Elf Pilsener
Privatbrauerei Josef Sigl Trumer Pils Pilsener
3 Ravens Black Ale
3 Ravens White Witbier
Trappistes Rochefort No. 10 Strong Ale
Trappistes Rochefort No. 8 Strong Ale

thats 20 beers @ $181. I could be temped to make it a round $200 if theres any suggestions.

edit:
St Bernardus Abt 12 Strong
St Bernardus Grottenbier Dark
Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale old favourite
Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Beer - Strong Ale

thats 24 beers ~@205.

Edit: after entering it on the website thats actualy 25 @ $198 after a 10% mixed dozen discount. any comments before i purchase?

Back