Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HopDog BrewWorks Horns Up - Your branding is confused (I'm gonna open a brewery called Hop Moon Dog Brews just to make sure that no-one anywhere actually knows what they are buying) and this beer is bad. My throat feels like I'm drinking glue - and, spice aside, my tongue seconds the impression.

Admittedly it was a few months back but I erroneously bought a few of there brews thinking they were a US based mob. Lets just say I should of spent my hard earned on something else. I am all for the micro-revolution but these guys are gonna have hard time getting repeat business if the beers I tasted were indicative of all their beers.

Been enjoying a few White Rabbit, White Ales. Highly recommend it.
Rather expensive, I think it was $60 something for a case.
But having saved shiploads by making my own beer for the last year, I thoroughly deserve to reward myself though.

So my advice is don't delay, get some White Rabbit, reward yourself, you deserve it too.

HopDog BrewWorks Horns Up - Your branding is confused (I'm gonna open a brewery called Hop Moon Dog Brews just to make sure that no-one anywhere actually knows what they are buying) and this beer is bad. My throat feels like I'm drinking glue - and, spice aside, my tongue seconds the impression.

Wholeheartedly agree. A friend of the brewers dropped a few bottles off for me to try when I used to work at Purvis. Couldn't stand that one.

But having saved shiploads by making my own beer for the last year, I thoroughly deserve to reward myself though.

So my advice is don't delay, get some White Rabbit, reward yourself, you deserve it too.
+1 to that, bloody ripping drop. And their Dark Ale is bloody good too. They'd wanna be at $68 a case. Such a shame local craft brews are so damned exxy. I stopped drinking 3 Ravens a while ago due to the price, despite them being 5 minutes up the road.

Wholeheartedly agree. A friend of the brewers dropped a few bottles off for me to try when I used to work at Purvis. Couldn't stand that one.

I think it's a great beer. Good brewery, good prices.
Redhopulous is brilliant IMO. That beer has me searching for American Amber recipes :)
The Children of the Darkness is unbalanced to be that big......would love one in QLD winter (oxymoron alert)

Really? Travelled/Handelled badly? The Superconductor I have had hear in NZ on Tap and Bottle has been bloody fantastic...Hopefully if you try it again, you will have a better experience mate.

I didnt think much of it either,
tasted like alot of IIPAS' that swing and miss,
hop zomnbie is so vastly superior, leave rest to shame

$60 a case is actually quite affordable for a craft beer.
Considering some of the beers on this thread are $60 a BOTTLE...if not more...$60 a carton is a bargain.
But yeah, nice beer...as is their Dark Ale

Moon Dog Perverse Sexual Amalgam - After smelling it I spent a fair bit of time too scared to taste it. Some dark aroma in between Christmas pud and red wine sitting underneath something akin to oxidised oyster sauce (this smell may not exist in the real world). Tastes muuuuch better than it smells. A bit like a sticky and sweet ugly step-sister to Rodenbach's Cinderella. Seems completely out of balance without actually heading in any extreme. I guess I'm actually enjoying it so long as I hold my breath when putting the snout in the glass. There is a fairly unpleasant mouth and throat coating going on here though. Would buy again but not very often and never more than one bottle - it is one of those beers you save for when you're really disappointed in yourself and you need to have a good hard think about what you're done.

Moon Dog Perverse Sexual Amalgam - After smelling it I spent a fair bit of time too scared to taste it. Some dark aroma in between Christmas pud and red wine sitting underneath something akin to oxidised oyster sauce (this smell may not exist in the real world). Tastes muuuuch better than it smells. A bit like a sticky and sweet ugly step-sister to Rodenbach's Cinderella. Seems completely out of balance without actually heading in any extreme. I guess I'm actually enjoying it so long as I hold my breath when putting the snout in the glass. There is a fairly unpleasant mouth and throat coating going on here though. Would buy again but not very often and never more than one bottle - it is one of those beers you save for when you're really disappointed in yourself and you need to have a good hard think about what you're done.

I really want one now! Lol.
Currently drinking Mountain Goat - Rapunzel 2012Actually quite nice very similar to to a less intense Duval.
Had a Timmermans Kriek earlier tasted like cherry starburst delicious!

if you are coming the wa xmas case, ill bring you a bottle, I am afraid its becoming quite thin and spicy

I better drink mine shortly then. Been waiting on a mate to come round

2012_11_23_19.32.17edit.jpg

A very easy drinking beer. Very deceiving bitterness considering the initial aroma. Smooth and a nice lingering bitterness for the first few sips until you adjust then incredibly smooth. If I can perfect my Americans to get like this ill be a happy man.

I didnt think much of it either,
tasted like alot of IIPAS' that swing and miss,
hop zomnbie is so vastly superior, leave rest to shame

As you know, I am the complete opposite and do not like Zombie at all.

Super Conductor was great, but at this stage, Heretic Evil Cousin leaves all for dead.

So in laymans terms it stinks like sh!t and tastes like crap.

"Layman's terms"?

Sorry if I got too technical, bro...

I really enjoy the new white rabbit.
One hell of a lot better since they dropped the open fermentation and switched to a Belgian yeast strain.

Before that it was very hit and miss and they didn't age to well.

Moon Dog Perverse Sexual Amalgam - After smelling it I spent a fair bit of time too scared to taste it. Some dark aroma in between Christmas pud and red wine sitting underneath something akin to oxidised oyster sauce (this smell may not exist in the real world). Tastes muuuuch better than it smells. A bit like a sticky and sweet ugly step-sister to Rodenbach's enjoying it so long as I hold my breath when putting the snout in the glass. There is a fairly unpleasant mouth and throat coating going on here though. Would buy again but not very often and never more than one bottle - it is one of those beers you save for when you're really disappointed in yourself and you need to have a good hard think about what you're done.

:icon_offtopic: The difference, I think, with Moondog beers is they struggle with consistency.
Their beers can vary quite a bit from batch to batch, carbonation levels being a common change.
I also think recipe tweaking happens a fair bit.
It makes for interesting drinking, as far removed from their massive CUB neighbour as you could get, who produce ber-consistent (shit) beer every time.
I'm not making a comment on Bum's review, just suggesting they're a brewery who should be given second chances, if only to reward their experimentation.
As a side note, they have barrel aged barley wine at the brewery which should be worth looking out for :icon_drool2:

I loved their pumpkin porter so I hope my review (such as it is) doesn't come across as a broadside on the brewery as a whole. I also hope it doesn't come across as a broadside on the beer either - I did enjoy the experience even if I'm not going to put it forward as a technically sound beer.

About consistency, it is probably unfair to talk about that particular beer in those terms given the nature of its production. I haven't had more than one bottle of any of their beers so I won't add to that discussion except to say that it sounds entirely likely that you're correct given their openly out-there attitude - you're gonna break a few eggs making their particular brand of omelette.

In defence of CUB ( :eek: ), Abbotsford Invalid Stout is basically the only beer I'll ever buy a slab of. This may say more about my buying habits rather than the beer itself though.

Back