Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chouffe Houblon, described on the bottle as an IPA tripel.
View attachment 54198

We tried this and then then Little Creatures 'Belgian IPA' and they were very different beasts.
Someone remarked that the Quiet American was pretty much what you'd expect when asked to describe what a belgian IPA might be.
Hoppy nose with some belgian character hiding, then a little sweeter malt characters.

View attachment 54199

In a way the two reflected the two breweries. The Chouffe was a hoppy belgian, certainly not just a tripel or golden ale, and the Little Creatures was like a US influenced IPA with some belgian characters
Both very enjoyable beers.

Embrasse Oak Aged in whisky casks

The peat was massive in the nose, totally dominant.
In the flavour it was quite dominant at first, it was hard to get past, but it blended a little more as the beer warmed.
It was always a strong part of the taste, but I got more of the malt as the beer went on.

View attachment 54200

Murray's Angry man pale ale. Man I'm in love again. Looks like a beer.

Murray's whale ale earlier tonight, nice when had, forgotten when I'd had the next.

This stuff was so tasty and smooth it was easy to forget it runs to 10%. Not sure what 'quadruple' refers to - kind of reminiscent of Nigel Tufnel's 'these go to 11', but I'd love to find a recipe for it cos this is my idea of what a strong dark should taste like. And its from the Netherlands.
Six bucks each from uncle Dans.

DSC_3764.jpg

Having a quiet one or 2 before bed in San Diego. Second best beer I've had since I have been here, I think I win tonight fellas.

Ale Smith 7% IPA. Green, grassie and fresh.

Scotty

Stone_017s.jpg

Having a quiet one or 2 before bed in San Diego. Second best beer I've had since I have been here, I think I win tonight fellas.

Ale Smith 7% IPA. Green, grassie and fresh.

Scotty

It's a great beer fresh. From memory the brewery is open on the weekends for tastings. If you get a chance drop by Ballast Point near Hotel Circle. Their Sculpin IPA is exceptional.

The last of the photos from our Belgian Beer Tasting, at least the last I plan to put up here anyway.

Westvleteren XII
Belgian quad (or whatever you want to call it), 10%+
Now given that is rated by many as the best beer in the world, and then decried as only being so due to its rarity by others, I was trying to approach this beer with an open mind, even though I was immensely looking forward to trying it.
I savoured each tiny mouthful, we had a small bottle to share after all, and each and everyone was worth savouring.

Lovely dark fruits throughout, great belgian aroma, the sweet malt gave way to quite a dry finish that was perfectly in balance.
The 10% alcohol was extremely hidden.

The best way to describe this beer would be harmonious. All the elements were in balance.
A perfect example that balance is not the same as boring or lack of flavour.

Would I say that this is definitely the best beer in the world? Well I've tried over 2000 beers and still don't feel qualified to make that sort of call, but probably not.
Would I say that this is a truly great beer? Undoubtedly.
In my opinion it deserves its reputation as a great beer, rarity or not.

View attachment 54263

On my quest to conqour the world of beer i have just visited the best place in paris: http://www.caveabulles.fr/ +1 to the owner, very happy to help and is surprisingly willing to trade beers if you bring him unique ones. Even went to the effort of retrieving a 750ml bottle from the delivery truck that just arrived as a must have - 'Cuvee des jonquilles' (no image sorry, didnt notice it was afk)
Started already on the Saleve IPA: Very complex and different from all other IPA's i have tasted. Looking forwarde to the rest - may go back tomorrow to demolish their stout, porters and magnum selections.

Sorry for the image size >1mg, silly netbook has no inbuilt resizing tools.

IMG_3291.JPG

On my quest to conqour the world of beer i have just visited the best place in paris: http://www.caveabulles.fr/ +1 to the owner, very happy to help and is surprisingly willing to trade beers if you bring him unique ones. Even went to the effort of retrieving a 750ml bottle from the delivery truck that just arrived as a must have - 'Cuvee des jonquilles' (no image sorry, didnt notice it was afk)
Started already on the Saleve IPA: Very complex and different from all other IPA's i have tasted. Looking forwarde to the rest - may go back tomorrow to demolish their stout, porters and magnum selections.

IMG_3291.JPG

Nice beers. I had the emmerslie black ipa a few months ago was really impressed I would really love to taste there others but unfortunately they are well overpriced in the pubs here and not available in the bottle stores. Is the emmerslie tipa a triple ipa??
What is the beer on the left with the cork also?

Oh yeh congrats on the find of the cuvee des jonquilles I here it's quite a rare beer to come across.

Nice beers. I had the emmerslie black ipa a few months ago was really impressed I would really love to taste there others but unfortunately they are well overpriced in the pubs here and not available in the bottle stores. Is the emmerslie tipa a triple ipa??
What is the beer on the left with the cork also?

Oh yeh congrats on the find of the cuvee des jonquilles I here it's quite a rare beer to come across.

Emmerslie is a triple, i noticed a double on the way out i may need to acquire. They were around 6 euro each.

Didnt know jonquilles was rare - was one of their 'sold out' lines which they said was hard to keep in stock. Cheapest 750 in there at ~6 euro. (All french beer was cheap).

Cuvee D'Oscar for the left beer.

Didnt know jonquilles was rare - was one of their 'sold out' lines which they said was hard to keep in stock. Cheapest 750 in there at ~6 euro. (All french beer was cheap).

Cuvee D'Oscar for the left beer.

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/beers/beerP....asp?BeerID=181

First pop on google has a nice description of the beer. Should count yourself lucky I think.
Translates to daffodil beer or something and also get a good write up on ratebeer.

Interested to here about the cuvee de Oscar
I have had this one a while back. I Assume it may be a bit similar In style
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schneider-wei...-sauvin/148420/
Was actually a bit disappointed I'm a huge fan of there wheat beers and also all beers I've had with NS but this just didn't do it for me. Actually still sitting on a bottle and unsure what to do with it.

Edit: damn iphone autocorrect

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/beers/beerP....asp?BeerID=181

First pop on google has a nice description of the beer. Should count yourself lucky I think.
Translates to daffodil beer or something and also get a good write up on ratebeer.

Cheers, made my day with that link - i know they received at least 6. Will try it tomorrow once it has settled - may be worth grabbing a few to cellar if they are still there. :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

If you get a chance whilst in Paris go to Brewberry (http://www.brewberry.fr/) as well. Good selection of beers, you can drink the beers there for the same price as take away, some tasty charcuterie etc. definitely worth a visit or two.

With ahb down all day I needed a stiff drink.. So I cracked a chimay blue. To bw honest im bitterly disappointed. Carb level to high, lacking body and depth and aroma. Complexity is on a downhill slope. colour is good but a lackluster beer. Ive had kits that are about this quality (im not bagging kits).

:(

Hopefully things turn around when I crack one of my birthday beer. Might have the endevour pale ale 2011 reserve

If you get a chance whilst in Paris go to Brewberry (http://www.brewberry.fr/) as well. Good selection of beers, you can drink the beers there for the same price as take away, some tasty charcuterie etc. definitely worth a visit or two.

Cheers, was a great idea, had a parisian lunch in the nice surrounding streets to.

All from beerberry:
Unshown were:
Rogue - Mocha Porter
Nogne O - Two Captains IPA
Nogne O - Porter

IMG_3497.JPG

Few beers bought for my Dad's birthday.

Good, but I'd go for a traditional dank/piney IPA over this style any day.
IMG_1277.jpg

Yum. A little old compared to one I had from the Archive bottle-o in January but still fantastic.
IMG_1278.jpg

Not sure if this presented exactly how it's supposed to. May have been treated poorly. Overcarbed. Nice rye character but the hops were a little hidden behind carbonic bite. Nothing tops a SN Ruthless RyePA for me so far.
IMG_1279.jpg

Excellent. Taste is about halfway between a Rochefort 8 and 10. Boozy on the finish (10.4%). Fantastic dessert beer with sticky date pudding. Alcohol and fruitcake on the nose, dark malt with alcohol drying the finish. Great night cap.
IMG_1280.jpg

Tomorrow will be the Gypsy and the Goat Pepperberry IPA with lunch.

sadly this will explain just how pist I got after the Roar game a few weeks ago.
westy.JPG
I also spotted a Gonzo and 2 triples from Flying Dog empties that I don't remember drinking (but felt the effects)

Arrived in Belgium last night - so we bee lined it to the kulminator in antwerpt.
Shared 4 bottles of:
St Sixtus Abdy Prior - Bottled 1988
Eylenbosch Cuve Speciale Kriek- 1987
Lindemans Gueuze - 1987
Dominus Triple Blonde - 2005

I think I have found heaven.
Would upload photos if I could from my iPhone.

Arrived in Belgium last night - so we bee lined it to the kulminator in antwerpt.
Shared 4 bottles of:
St Sixtus Abdy Prior - Bottled 1988
Eylenbosch Cuve Speciale Kriek- 1987
Lindemans Gueuze - 1987
Dominus Triple Blonde - 2005

I think I have found heaven.
Would upload photos if I could from my iPhone.
U *******. U filthy filthy *******!!! Lol

I was pretty happy with my 2003 watchbox durif (weighing in at 17%) from indigo valley, rutherglen, and 2001 vintage port from stanton and killeen, but ur beers shit all over that

Latest posts

Back