Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen them a few times, and been tempted to try them simply because they looked German. Glad I didn't waste the money now :)

3e887951.jpg

I've been sitting on this One wanting to open any chance I've had.

Decided to take it on tonight at a Gothenburg brew club meet.
First thoughts where it had lost alot of the belgiumy yeast taste. Possibly served a bit cold but I think it's better to taste how it changes as it warms up.
When it was colder we tasted a bit more barleywiney, raisony, pruniness and as it warmed up alot more other flavours came through ,Strong warm honey ( like when spread on toast), sherry/ porter, strawberry??
Carbonation was very soft almost velvety. An absolute treat very much worthy of aging. Also got a 2003 that I will taste in the next few months but I'm pretty sure it will not differ too much in taste at this age. Although the trub is more than double on the 2003 then 2001 so possibly a bit dryer.

3e887951.jpg

I've been sitting on this One wanting to open any chance I've had.

Decided to take it on tonight at a Gothenburg brew club meet.
First thoughts where it had lost alot of the belgiumy yeast taste. Possibly served a bit cold but I think it's better to taste how it changes as it warms up.
When it was colder we tasted a bit more barleywiney, raisony, pruniness and as it warmed up alot more other flavours came through ,Strong warm honey ( like when spread on toast), sherry/ porter, strawberry??
Carbonation was very soft almost velvety. An absolute treat very much worthy of aging. Also got a 2003 that I will taste in the next few months but I'm pretty sure it will not differ too much in taste at this age. Although the trub is more than double on the 2003 then 2001 so possibly a bit dryer.
Awesome stuff mate.
Been hanging onto a stubbie of the '02 for ages....this year seems like an ideal year to crack it.
Got a corked bottle of the '04, and stubbie of the '07 cellared away as well. Very tempted to do a vertical tasting at some point with a recent vintage to see how it develops!

Absolutely bloody delicious. I've had this in the fridge since last year some time, the wet weather prompted me to get it out. I'm not very good with worms so I'll leave it at that.

UTJmf.jpg

Looks like a tasy stout!

Half way through a glass of Kooinda Black IPA - wonderfully hoppy with some nice malty roastiness

Some recent ones:
Wingwalkerpaleale.jpg

Had worse, and it was cheap enough.

ValeIPA.jpg

Not a bad drop, but nothing to write home about.

WigramsMunschDunkel.jpg

Very tasty. Tasted "bigger" than it's %5.0abv. Yum.

WigramDakotaDark-1.jpg

Wow. A really nice brown ale. I liked this one the most of the four beers in this post.

Christchurch to Nelson to Motueka and just beyond has to be the beer heaven of NZ.

Anyone get the latest beermasons pack? Mine's been in the post since the 5th, had no response from beermasons as to the delay.

Yeah, do that.

Sneaking suspicion I missed out on the last one too (but wasn't charged for it), this one I've been charged for.

Got it? I've drunk 1/2 0f it - and I'm trying to make them last...
They can take a while to respond to emails, but they will sort you out eventually Geoff.

Lets call this a placeholder because I am far to pissed to deal with the photos now but a few of us went through a batch of beers from the Belgian Shop online free postage order and god it was a good night...
I did take pics so they will come, it did happen :)

First up.
Anker Boscolis
Mixed Berry wit.
A little too sweet for my liking but a hint of tart at the end.
Went well with cheesecake

Didn't get a picture of the Van Steenberge Kreik we had to follow. It was not the craziest level of funk or tartness but not a bad beer.

View attachment 54174

Saison de Pipiax
Brewed with some fruit peel, ginger, pepper and anise.
The bottle we tasted on the night had mostly just ginger, with a hint of the others coming through. Of the 4 bottles of this I had one was completely flat and horrible, 2 were ok and 1 was an absolute cracker with all the spices present but not dominant and just an amazing depth of flavour. Typically I had that first and raved about the beer only to be greeted with 3 comparative duds...

View attachment 54176

Duchesse de Bourgogne
Flanders Red

Lovely cherry frutiness with teh malt hiding in behind. Hint of vinegar coming through to dominate the end.
Really good complex beer this one. Great interplay of the sweet fruit and malt upfront with a tart finish

We followed this one with a Bourgogne des Flandres, which was nowhere near the beer this one was. But then I realised that the second one was made by Timmermans, whom I don't rate at all, so I wasn't surprised.

View attachment 54179

Triple Dubbels

This was the better of the two. Not crazy yeast esters but still there, lovely malt backbone with a dryish finish.
View attachment 54193

This was quite a nice beer, it just wasn't quite as good as the first one.
View attachment 54194

Tallie's dubbel, not commercial I know but it wasn't out of place against the last two, so it deserves to be here too...
View attachment 54195

Triple Dubbels

This was the better of the two. Not crazy yeast esters but still there, lovely malt backbone with a dryish finish.
View attachment 54193

This was quite a nice beer, it just wasn't quite as good as the first one.
View attachment 54194

Tallie's dubbel, not commercial I know but it wasn't out of place against the last two, so it deserves to be here too...
View attachment 54195

How did the Belgian day go Ben? Sore heads this morning?

How did the Belgian day go Ben? Sore heads this morning?
Can't speak for the others Rowy but I was surprisingly unsore this morning.
Caffeine and some cheese on toast saw me right.

The day was excellent. Some beers weren't as good as hoped but I'd hesitate to call any of them a dud.
Some tasty to food to go with them too.

Can't speak for the others Rowy but I was surprisingly unsore this morning.
Caffeine and some cheese on toast saw me right.

The day was excellent. Some beers weren't as good as hoped but I'd hesitate to call any of them a dud.
Some tasty to food to go with them too.

I'm up for the next one! Obviously you didn't get roped into the extravaganza at the scratch this arvo.

Latest posts

Back