Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1292.jpg

Fan-bloody-tastic. Amazing hop profile mated to a sublime malt backbone. So stoked that Phoenix Beers look after their stock.

Don't hate me.
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Delicious, a little cloudy but filtering would only hurt this beer

0507121216.jpg

My wife and I popped over the pond to Brugges for a weekend recently and realised just how little time that is to try and sample 1 million different Belgian beers. Luckily I found this golden 3-grain beauty in the pile:

Karmeliet.jpg

Toured De Halve Maan brewery while we were there and visited the only pub worth visiting 't Brugs Beertje. These were some good times. :drinks:

On a business trip in Holland, our eyes met across the bar.........

westvleteren.jpeg

Edit: the photo is a little small. So you don't have to squint (and so I can rub it in), the label says Westvleteren XII.

Birthday drinks Saturday night, this just arrived at the local woolies...

View attachment 54364
Not as good as I had hoped....a bit dissapointing really,

not my cup of tea, er, beer trying to be wine..

Can I ask how much you paid for this? DM's have a twin pack reduced for quick sale for $24.95, and have been wondering if worthwhile.

View attachment 54528

Edit: the photo is a little small. So you don't have to squint (and so I can rub it in), the label says Westvleteren XII.
Where and which bar?????!!!!,ive got one in the cupboard here but dont want to really open it!.Did it live up to its reputation?

Where and which bar?????!!!!,ive got one in the cupboard here but dont want to really open it!.Did it live up to its reputation?
De Kloosterling in Delft. it's a gorgeous old town which is worth a visit in its own right. The bar is almost directly behind the old cathedral on the main square. The food was also fantastic, with an emphasis on slow cooking. 280 beers were on offer, many of which would make you weep. The entire De Molen catalogue, a full page of spontaneously fermented beauties, big imported yanks and man, many more.

Up to its reputation? It was certainly very good, but big Belgians aren't really my sweet spot and it wasn't massively different to others which I have tried such as Westmalle. A true aficionado of Trappist beers would probably disagree. Regardless of my tastes, I couldn't see this on the menu and not order it!

Seek out this bar if you are travelling, but be aware that they don't take credit card.

Was at the brewery cafe today. All three were lovely - very smooth and balanced.
Nothing out of this world special, but very well crafted.

Rode bikes 44km today to get there and also for a steak. Rode one hour in pouring rain and have hands fried with stinging nettle from getting nudged into the hop field by a passing car on a narrow road. I'm still chuffed I have 2 330ml 12's to cellar.

De Kloosterling in Delft. it's a gorgeous old town which is worth a visit in its own right. The bar is almost directly behind the old cathedral on the main square. The food was also fantastic, with an emphasis on slow cooking. 280 beers were on offer, many of which would make you weep. The entire De Molen catalogue, a full page of spontaneously fermented beauties, big imported yanks and man, many more.

Up to its reputation? It was certainly very good, but big Belgians aren't really my sweet spot and it wasn't massively different to others which I have tried such as Westmalle. A true aficionado of Trappist beers would probably disagree. Regardless of my tastes, I couldn't see this on the menu and not order it!

Seek out this bar if you are travelling, but be aware that they don't take credit card.
Cheers thanks mate SWAMBO comes from Holland,were heading back there next year,Delft looks like a goer ill just tell SWAMBO i want to go there to look at the pottery!! :ph34r:

Was at the brewery cafe today. All three were lovely - very smooth and balanced.
Nothing out of this world special, but very well crafted.

Rode bikes 44km today to get there and also for a steak. Rode one hour in pouring rain and have hands fried with stinging nettle from getting nudged into the hop field by a passing car on a narrow road. I'm still chuffed I have 2 330ml 12's to cellar.
Mate sounds like a top trip,thought Holland was more friendly too bike riders than that!!!! :icon_cheers:

Hit up my dealer for some stash:

20120515booze.jpg

The rum is on a recommendation from a friend, will see how it pans out.

IMG_1309.jpg

Superb. Big bad porter. Would almost be a stout if it had more roast character. Awesome.

IMG_20120322_224344.jpeg

Not my picture but bought from purvis last night. Damn delicious.

Also got a Thatchers Oaked Vintage cider which is the kind of cider that all those who think the current trend of bland, watery, slightly sweetened apple soda water is all that cider can be, should try.

Lovely, complex, slightly funky, delicious.

View attachment 54528

I've got a visit planned to Westvleteren in exactly 2 weeks time. With accomodation booked at t'brouwershuis (St Bernadus).

I've got a visit planned to Westvleteren in exactly 2 weeks time. With accomodation booked at t'brouwershuis (St Bernadus).
Foles keep us updated with descriptions and piccs!!!!!!!! lucky *******!!!!!
:icon_cheers:

Mildura Choc Hops - Nice dark chocolate aroma with a light metallic quality to it - not off-putting but there. Little more metal bite on the palate, a bit thin and maybe a bit sweet for me but a decent enough beer all things considered. Would buy again (might not, either but of the similar beers at Dan's at the moment this one is up there).

Latest posts

Back