Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brooklyn Brewery East India Pale Ale.
photo_4_.JPG
Delicious.. :chug:

THis is very nice for a dark whitbeer!

Chocolate and some coffee taste through.

Will clone for sure

Photo0433.jpg

I have some new ones to try..............

Americans:

Americans.jpg

German and Japan:

GermanandJapan.jpg

Curently enjoying the German Pils........... Oh i L.O.V.E this beer............ Sweet clean honey malt and a nice balancing bitterness. no big hops, nothing in your face but very enjoyable indeed.

I must brew more German Pils........... its one for my fav styles.

Germanpilsyum.jpg

Ninkasi's Angel - a one-off/rare/special brew by the Women of Beer - an all female collaboration beer brewed here in Australia. Proceeds from the sale of the beer goes to the McGrath Foundation, dedicated to supporting Breast Care Nurses in communities across Australia. (Adapted from the label on the bottle)

IMG_2831.JPG

This bottle was ordered through slowbeer. It came without a waxed top (which was how I thought it was going to be sold) crown sealed 750ml bottle, 7.8%. Belgian style tripel with cardamon, pepperberries, grains of paradise and cassia.

IMG_2806.JPG

Pours an amazing rose/copper/red gold colour, with a diminishing and disappearing head. Glass beading shows it's quite highly carbonated.

IMG_2808.JPG

Aroma is of a general herb/spice (indian spice shop aroma) with some mild belgian yeast phenolics. It's quite strong on the pepperberry, and comes across as being quite meaty with heavy rosemary bent.

Flavour is quite meaty - it's got a creamy mouthfeel despite the high carbonation, and the pepperberry comes across as an initial black pepper flavour then a strong background of fresh rosemary. It's very, very strong in terms of alcohol presense. The listed ingredient I was looking forward to, the golden naked oats, are not detectable, but I suspect are responsible for the creamy mouthfeel. There is definitely a belgian tripel characteristic to it, no doubt from the yeast, but it is very, very far from the dominating flavours of most belgian tripels I've had over the years.

I was thinking rosemary when I was drinking it. The Mrs got home, had a decent taste and I asked her initial impression: lamb roast.

Then we had a storm.

IMG_2849.JPG

The End.

Ninkasi's Angel - a one-off/rare/special brew by the Women of Beer - an all female collaboration beer brewed here in Australia. Proceeds from the sale of the beer goes to the McGrath Foundation, dedicated to supporting Breast Care Nurses in communities across Australia. (Adapted from the label on the bottle)

View attachment 49903

This bottle was ordered through slowbeer. It came without a waxed top (which was how I thought it was going to be sold) crown sealed 750ml bottle, 7.8%. Belgian style tripel with cardamon, pepperberries, grains of paradise and cassia.

View attachment 49904

Pours an amazing rose/copper/red gold colour, with a diminishing and disappearing head. Glass beading shows it's quite highly carbonated.

View attachment 49905

Aroma is of a general herb/spice (indian spice shop aroma) with some mild belgian yeast phenolics. It's quite strong on the pepperberry, and comes across as being quite meaty with heavy rosemary bent.

Flavour is quite meaty - it's got a creamy mouthfeel despite the high carbonation, and the pepperberry comes across as an initial black pepper flavour then a strong background of fresh rosemary. It's very, very strong in terms of alcohol presense. The listed ingredient I was looking forward to, the golden naked oats, are not detectable, but I suspect are responsible for the creamy mouthfeel. There is definitely a belgian tripel characteristic to it, no doubt from the yeast, but it is very, very far from the dominating flavours of most belgian tripels I've had over the years.

I was thinking rosemary when I was drinking it. The Mrs got home, had a decent taste and I asked her initial impression: lamb roast.

Then we had a storm.

View attachment 49908

The End.

i had a bottle of that on the weekend and loved every last drop of it. imo it is one of the best australian attempts at a belgian style. really hoping to get another bottle before it runs out.

ok...... jut tried the Suruga Bay Imperial IPA.

SurugaBayIIPA1152x1728.jpg

JapIPA1.jpg

JapIPA2.jpg

I wish i could read japanese but from a few of the numbers i figure its 7.5% abv, 90 IBU, and the bit that reads...... 8 - 12 C...... lager yeast?????

Anyway...... its bottle carbed with a fine layer of yeast that broke up easily and ended up in the glass. Medium carb and holds a very fine "only just" head.

Its quite malty, creamy smooth medium mouth feel. Very clean..... and slightly....... oily.....not sure :huh: almost like its got a bit of rye in it.

Alcahol is almost non detectable...... making it an easy drinker.

Hops..... Meh........ nothing special..... its a bit hoppy but nothing special, it has just enough bitterness to give a tingle but nothing special........ its quite non offensive actually

All in all..... its a "nice" beer....... its a fair hit at an American IPA but its well short of IIPA ( Stone Ruination etc )

I dont rate it as good as Torpedo....... its similar but not as good.

cheers

And now to the Americans.

Anderson Valley IPA.

AndersonValleyIPA1152x1728.jpg

Woooowww, now this is interesting. First impression is buiskety toasty malt! Lots of hops but they are more earthy and piney..... almost squished ant....ish but nice.

This is not made with the traditional citrus hops we are used to........... its a very different experience..... more like an english IPA actually, but with pine and toast.

i keep smelling it........ its got me really thinking........ it has a familiar smell but i cant put my finger on it.

Mmmmm some malt..... confusing, sweet but a touch roast...... brown malt kind of toast, but not (hard to explain), piney earthy hops.....

AHHHHHHHH ITS FREAKIN ME OUT MAN!

Its crystal clear and its missing the hop "tang" that obviously stayed in the filter..... i think i would like to try this un filtered.

not my favorite IPA ever but a very nice beer...... and i would buy again!

No pics - too lazy (and had a couple).

Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale.

My taste buds are ruined by my own brewing.

I bought Boston Pale Ale and then Gage Roads this week (ran out of brew).

Look - I know they aren't the epitome of the best APA ever. But between SN PA, and these two - my reaction for each is "meh".

I freely admit that I don't brew every style of beer, nor are my attempts at what I do brew the best of their category.

But I do brew a mean APA - and I can't drink anything else without thinking "meh" anymore.

Even SWMBO tasted it and went "boring" - and she complained at one stage that my APA is "too hoppy".

I'm a bit miffed - it appears that the only person able to make an APA I really enjoy, is me.

Having said that, I'd not consumed a pilsner for 6 months or more and Henninger actually tasted adequate.

Goomba

No pics - too lazy (and had a couple).

Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale.

My taste buds are ruined by my own brewing.

I bought Boston Pale Ale and then Gage Roads this week (ran out of brew).

Look - I know they aren't the epitome of the best APA ever. But between SN PA, and these two - my reaction for each is "meh".

I freely admit that I don't brew every style of beer, nor are my attempts at what I do brew the best of their category.

But I do brew a mean APA - and I can't drink anything else without thinking "meh" anymore.

Even SWMBO tasted it and went "boring" - and she complained at one stage that my APA is "too hoppy".

I'm a bit miffed - it appears that the only person able to make an APA I really enjoy, is me.

Having said that, I'd not consumed a pilsner for 6 months or more and Henninger actually tasted adequate.

Goomba
Lupulin Shift maybe?

see picture below ripped off a random website

20110821_lupulinshift.jpg

dont be upset,you should be giving yourself a big pat on the back. and pouring a couple of your apas to celebrate a job well done. after all homebrewing is about making beer that you like regardless of what any one else thinks and it sounds like you have excelled at this.

A few beers I've not tried before, but all were very nice

c19b4e03.jpg

8e8a0947.jpg

33b622ed.jpg

f6776eed.jpg

My pick was the Moon Dog, at 9.1% it was scary how easily drinkable it is

Edit: sorry, shitty pics

Was given the Red Duck "Canute the Gruit" amongst others for my birthday (see here).

One sniff was enough to make me cautious. One sip was enough to make me sure. I tipped it. YMMV, but not my taste at all! :icon_vomit:

T.

A few beers I've not tried before, but all were very nice

My pick was the Moon Dog, at 9.1% it was scary how easily drinkable it is

Edit: sorry, shitty pics

You have to tell me where you got that Kinggoblin from man!

But between SN PA, and these two - my reaction for each is "meh".

After trying a few good comercial APA's from the states recently, and AIPA's and AIIPA's....... im of the impression that most homebrewers have over hopped themselves into thinking an AIPA is actually and APA.

I have entered APA's in competition that i know were similar to the APA's i am drinking, and i think the judges were looking for AIPA's as i always get..... not hoppy enough comments...... hence why i gave up trying to brew them.

Trying SNPA recently, and drinking a carton of Torpedo, and then a couple others just now...... i really think APA should be a hop driven, but reasonably ballanced beer.... and the AIPA the big hoppy bitter one. AIIPA..... well thats the hop soup we aussies call AIPA.

I personally believe some have American beers all wrong in the home brewery.

You have to tell me where you got that Kinggoblin from man!

Picked it up from McCoppins beer and wine on Victoria street, abbotsford. Was a lucky pick up I only went there after I heard they still have some LC Dippers. They have quite a good range for a drive through. I prefer the hobgoblin but the king was still very nice.

Drinking a Sierra Nevada Torpedo, very good on the nose with a bitter finish. Any one know what IBU it is?

I personally believe some have American beers all wrong in the home brewery.
Yep but not at all in the manner you're suggesting. The beers we get here are faded to the shithouse. Anyone who has had them here and had them there will tell you the same. But you're quite right, the things I see comp judges say about APAs here really does make the mind boggle and things are arse backwards but I'm not sure your current re-evaluation of where the arse is is correct either.

But in the end, who gives a shit? Let people make the beers they want. If people want to win comps then they have to tailor their beers to what judges expect regardless of whether the judges are right or wrong - irrespective of style.

zwy_2__Large_.jpg

Shit I love this stuff, always get 3 500s for $10 when I'm in at Dans (Dans is a 70K round trip from here)

If I were marooned on a desert island with a cold room full of one beer, this would be it. :)

edit: Pron:" jur vee yeets"

I dont mind a wheaty now and then.Picked up some local brew to try.
Had a few stubbies of Sunshine Honey Wheat from Brisbane Brewing Co this arvo. The labeled 5% Alc surprised me. You wouldnt tell tasting it.
Nice easy drinker as expected on a warm day. Prefered it really well chilled though. Nice summer beer. Had three but two was enough for me.
Thumbs up from me. It is what its supposed to be and tastes good.
Daz

Back