Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oettinger Pils:

oettinger-pils-2a.jpg

Not my picture but sums it up... 'cept I'm drinking from the can. Not bad considering its dirt cheap!

Righto guys, I'm on the dingers! :D

Cheers - boingk

PS: Haven't been on the site in ages, same with laying down a brew. Redeeming myself in both categories tonight, its good to be back!

Just had a mate and the mum in law get back from the USA and Hawaii, this is the range they brought back. A mix of these totalling 50 bottles all up:

I'm planing on hosting an American Beer day, can't wait to hook in :kooi:

View attachment 49771

Cheers,

TS

The Tangerine and Great White will clear the nostrils mate :icon_cheers:
Looks like a good session.

Just had a mate and the mum in law get back from the USA and Hawaii, this is the range they brought back. A mix of these totalling 50 bottles all up:

What was the story with bringing it back to aus? Did they simply package it carefully then put it in their check-in luggage? Declare?

I tried Murrays Angry Man Pale Ale last night.

Loved it, great flavour from the NZ hops (motueka & pacifica) not big on the malt side of things.
A good pale ale IMO, at 5% very session-able (was $13 for 4 at Dans) will be getting this again for sure.
Murrays are probably my fav Aus brewery at the moment, wish I could get more of the range more easily but :(

Tried the Murrays Smashing Pumplin Ale on tap last night, good drop. Then came back and settled into a bottle of Matilda Bay's MB21.

Keep an eye out on the BWS chain. I've bought some Paulaner 1L Oktoberfest cans (with glass) for $12.99.

Schneider Nelson Sauvin weizenstarkbier.

This is more understated than Hopfenweisse and they serve it in wine glasses at the Weisses Brauhaus. Enjoyable beer, although I did miss the more aggressive hop character of the Hopfenweisse.

The Hopfenweisse is amazing.

Kiwi_beers.JPG
A kiwi odyssy.

I find these 8Wired beers really interesting, kind of out of BJCP style (innovation is a good thing) but a bit too aggressive for me to truly appreciate them.
I find the Epic beers more suited to my palate. They are big too but maybe a little more in balance?
The Epic MashUp Collaboration brew: my palate would say there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

Verdict: I am full of love for Kiwi beer.

Oktoberfest_pack.JPG
An Oktoberfest Orgy.

I was naive enough to think that since Oktoberfest involves a lot of drinking beer in 1L steins that it would be lower strength. I really enjoyed this 4 pack and 500ml glass that came as a boxed set.
I have in the past enjoyed Lowenbrau as a lawnmower sort of beer and was expecting this to be similar. Surprisingly this had more gusto to it carried with the higher alcohol content. I think I was a bit 'meh' about a couple and liked the other two. Apart from the Lowenbrau I can't remember which were which. A good fun pack of beers and styles I have not previously tried.

SN_beers.JPG
Sierra Nevada Spectacular

There has been a great deal of discussion about the Pale and the Torpedo. I'd say they are well made beers but that some folks like them and some don't.
I found I was disapointed with the KillerWeise and the Slimmerfest. The Southern Hemisphere Harvest didn't leave an indelible memory so I would assume it was not a winner for me either.

View attachment 49791
An Oktoberfest Orgy.

I was naive enough to think that since Oktoberfest involves a lot of drinking beer in 1L steins that it would be lower strength. I really enjoyed this 4 pack and 500ml glass that came as a boxed set.
I have in the past enjoyed Lowenbrau as a lawnmower sort of beer and was expecting this to be similar. Surprisingly this had more gusto to it carried with the higher alcohol content. I think I was a bit 'meh' about a couple and liked the other two. Apart from the Lowenbrau I can't remember which were which. A good fun pack of beers and styles I have not previously tried.

I drank quite a few erdinger oktoberfest at our local oktoberfest. Pretty damn good!!

View attachment 49790
A kiwi odyssy.

I find these 8Wired beers really interesting, kind of out of BJCP style (innovation is a good thing) but a bit too aggressive for me to truly appreciate them.
I find the Epic beers more suited to my palate. They are big too but maybe a little more in balance?
The Epic MashUp Collaboration brew: my palate would say there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

Verdict: I am full of love for Kiwi beer.

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

View attachment 49792
Sierra Nevada Spectacular

There has been a great deal of discussion about the Pale and the Torpedo. I'd say they are well made beers but that some folks like them and some don't.
I found I was disapointed with the KillerWeise and the Slimmerfest. The Southern Hemisphere Harvest didn't leave an indelible memory so I would assume it was not a winner for me either.

The southern hemisphere mustn't have been fresh then - because that is onen awesome beer! Tasted like an IPA version of a LC Rogers.

Don't have photos but had 4 of the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp beers bought from the IBS (Juniper Black IPA, Cal Common, Double IPA, Weizenbock). With the possible exeption of the Weizenbock, which was bit boozy, they were outstanding. The double IPA and the steam beer were especially good, and super fresh.......

Rogue.JPG
A Rogue Rapture

I thought there was a bit of hype about theses Rogue brewers and was somewhat nonplussed about the Amber Ale. It has Pacman yeast in it and thought I might be able to reculture the yeast. 2 days in and I am thinking that (1) there were no dregs in the bottle, and (2) Perhaps they filter and pasteurise the beer. I think my fridge (at approx 2oC) was far too cool to serve this beer from. It seemed to improve upon warming but didn't float my boat.

Just finished the Dead Guy Ale and it has hit the spot. I think sometimes it comes down to a number of elements such as how hydrated you are, ambient temperature, your general mood at the time etc. Everything must have been aligned for the Dead Guy Ale at this point in time; I give it the big thumbs up. I thought it had an attractive colour not much lighter than the amber with good body and appropriate mouthfeel, a reasonable malt profile and balanced yet slightly lingering but not aggresive bitterness.

Hey Malted. where are you getting these beers from. Is there some sort of secret rad beer shop in adelaide or something? I am jealous and I want some.

Bridge Road Nogne O India Saison.
A cracker.. Clear as a bell. The Stella hops mesh well with the funky, citrusy, yeast esters. Finishes dry & bitter.

IMG_1733.JPG

Hey Malted. where are you getting these beers from. Is there some sort of secret rad beer shop in adelaide or something? I am jealous and I want some.

If you didn't run away at 6am you might discover some of the delights Adelaide has to offer...
Short answer: File footage...
I got the two Rogues from the Wheatsheaf Hotel (leave an arm and a leg and it's real rad - to be fair it'll cost you that much anywhere). Stay in town a bit longer and we can do a tour. I was getting the Kiwi beers from Wellington Cellars (conviently I drive past them on the way home from work) but they closed down a couple of months ago and have not yet opened in a new location that they were planning. Oktoberfest pack was from a Woolies Liquor! The first three SN were from Uncle Dans and the Slimmerfest and Southern Harvest were from WC. I hope WC get their shit sorted soon, they had an amazing range. Kiwi beer is beyond rad, it's fecking brilliant. Yeah I started home brewing to save money...

If you didn't run away at 6am you might discover some of the delights Adelaide has to offer...
Short answer: File footage...
I got the two Rogues from the Wheatsheaf Hotel (leave an arm and a leg and it's real rad - to be fair it'll cost you that much anywhere). Stay in town a bit longer and we can do a tour. I was getting the Kiwi beers from Wellington Cellars (conviently I drive past them on the way home from work) but they closed down a couple of months ago and have not yet opened in a new location that they were planning. Oktoberfest pack was from a Woolies Liquor! The first three SN were from Uncle Dans and the Slimmerfest and Southern Harvest were from WC. I hope WC get their shit sorted soon, they had an amazing range. Kiwi beer is beyond rad, it's fecking brilliant. Yeah I started home brewing to save money...
umm i had delights in mildura that needed tending to. I will be hunting said places out next time I am over and I also will have to crack my wheaty cherry. A guided tour with malted would be rad.

umm i had delights in mildura that needed tending to. I will be hunting said places out next time I am over and I also will have to crack my wheaty cherry. A guided tour with malted would be rad.

A tour of the wheaty with me rad? Ha! That was my first time there and I felt like a total dick! I got there at about 5:15pm and didn't see a single sole I knew. Waited for a 1/2 hr with a bloody lemonade and saw a guy by himself wearing a flanny. Some dude on the BA forum had said on a previous occasion that he'd be able to be spotted at the Wheaty cause he'd be wearing a flanny; this guy seemed about the right age. I was bored so went up to the guy and asked if he was on the Brew Adelaide forum. I think there is a reason he was sat by himself; I beat a mummbled and hasty retreat before things got uglier than him. I bought the two Rogue tallies and was about to split when someone I knew came in so I stayed for a little while. But hey, I know where it is now and will gladly drive you there next time you're in town!

Bridge Road Nogne O India Saison.
A cracker.. Clear as a bell. The Stella hops mesh well with the funky, citrusy, yeast esters. Finishes dry & bitter.

Beers where did you get this from? I also noticed you have some Jolly Pumpkin in the background. I have been dying to get my hands on some of this after really enjoying them in the US. Didn't give any hope here in Oz.

Back