What's Happened To Fat Yak?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eamonnfoley

Foleybraü
Reaction score
Like many people on AHB, I'm enjoying Fat Yak, despite it being a pale, more lightly hopped incarnation of alpha pale ale.

But I got one on Friday night at the Queens hotel and it was completely different. No hop flavour, and caramel sweet. It was also copper in colour. I took it back and got it replaced. Same again. I then exchanged it for a LCPA which was fine. Thought maybe the lines were dirty or something. However, last night I ordered one at JB O'Reilly's after going to the footy. Exact same problem - now I can't blame the pub. This batch is completely different. I would almost say diacetyl ?

I wonder what is going on? You would think the bar staff would get onto their supplier, but I am sure they dont have a clue.

hmmm , who is it that now owns them again? Almost as though brewing giants beer is a bit more boring than your average home brewer likes!!!!!

I was drinking fat yak yesterday in sydney and it was as good as ever, smelt awesome.

Yep, I had a couple yesterday and it was good. Finally a decent option on tap at my local.

I had a pint at the Turf in Melb last week and it was fresh and aromatic.

Scott Vincent of the Matilda Bay Brewing Company would be the man to see. Drop him a line.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Old stock perhaps?
Some beers tend to vary quite a bit from pub to pub depending on how they're handled and how quickly the sell.
My experience has with Fat Yak has been pretty consistant, though I reckon it has a slight skunkiness either way, bottle or tap.

Back