What's been your biggest beer-improver?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
I find white kittens are better than black ones...
Do you have anything at all to add to this conversation, or are you just flapping your gums for the sake of it? If not, then just **** off & leave the adults alone to discuss stuff in peace!

Thank you for your consideration in this matter....

The things I have noticed over the last 10 years would be

Greater availability of yeast. Bigger range and more stockists

Greater availability of hops. Bigger range and more stockists

Temp/fridge controllers are lots easier and cheaper. Basicslly plug and play now

Much better sanitizers

Things like march/hot water pumps

As far as equipment etc things like false bottoms are now off the shelf items

The actuall brewing of beer hasnt changed. Mash and ferment temps are still the same its just that there is better,cheaper equipment to help you do it.

Any constructive advice on systems, then? I'm particularly interested in a simple HERMS. If you have anything I could learn, I'd appreciate your input.

MartinOC said:
You wouldn't be a Guenzel-Swarzbier-fan, then, I'm taking it?
Tried various guenzel beers but not a schwarz from memory so can't contextualise the reference.
I just think the approach to water chemistry of trying to replicate 'famous brewing centre' water profiles is not the best one. Brew the beer you want to make and acidify appropriately and add appropriate salts.
Maybe dublin water was full of carbonates in 1886. Maybe 3 years later it was different. It's certainly different today. Dortmunder export is a great one - check the supposed profile ( hard sulfatey almost burton like) with the descriptions people like Michael Jackson offer.
Want a hoppy, pale beer? Add salts that will aid that. No need to make the water so full of epsom salts it could cure a constipated cow just because a report says that's what it was like in 1834. Add salts to taste and desired effect as appropriate.

What did Mike do with his schwarz?

MartinOC said:
Any constructive advice on systems, then? I'm particularly interested in a simple HERMS. If you have anything I could learn, I'd appreciate your input.
Personally if you have a well insulated tun then a HERMS wont help that much. I looked at building one but after looking and listening I worked out it would do sfa to improve my beers. Not saying they dont work , just ment more expense and more equip to clean.

manticle said:
Tried various guenzel beers but not a schwarz from memory so can't contextualise the reference.
I just think the approach to water chemistry of trying to replicate 'famous brewing centre' water profiles is not the best one. Brew the beer you want to make and acidify appropriately and add appropriate salts.
Maybe dublin water was full of carbonates in 1886. Maybe 3 years later it was different. It's certainly different today. Dortmunder export is a great one - check the supposed profile ( hard sulfatey almost burton like) with the descriptions people like Michael Jackson offer.
Want a hoppy, pale beer? Add salts that will aid that. No need to make the water so full of epsom salts it could cure a constipated cow just because a report says that's what it was like in 1834. Add salts to taste and desired effect as appropriate.

What did Mike do with his schwarz?
Sage advice, indeed & I agree with you wholeheartedly!

I'll send you a PM about MG's attitude towards Schwarz...

[quote name="manticle" No need to make the water so full of epsom salts it could cure a constipated cow just because a report says that's what it was like [/quote]

That mistake has been made by many brewers. They go " I need to Burtonise my water" and start adding way to much or get everything out of whack. I did it myself with an ESB. Sure did bring out the bitterness and cured my constipation.

Ducatiboy stu said:
That mistake has been made by many brewers. They go " I need to Burtonise my water" and start adding way to much or get everything out of whack. I did it myself with an ESB. Sure did bring out the bitterness and cured my constipation.
Good! 'Cos you're giving me the shits right now.

What a well-thought-out, pithy come-backl!

'You still here after all the children have gone to bed?

Wow, took 3 1/2 hrs for even the thread starter to derail the thread.

I will try and get it back on track, I find hitting your numbers during mashing and boiling can substantially help to try and replicate a beer if you really enjoyed it. Also taking lots of notes during the brew day if you decide to do something different.

manticle said:
the ability to critically evaluate and problem solve.
For me this is the most important thing. All the other steps are required but if you don't know what's wrong and subsequently how to correct it, then no amount of gadgets will help. Most questions I see answered by manticle are to do with identifying taste and aroma and how to brew to style. Tremendously helpful for me to read this sort of information as common problems when quality issues come up.

For me, it was joining a brew club.

Having honest feedback from people much more experienced than I (with a better nose and taste, too) helped me identify what I was doing wrong.

Mashing side of things I get great efficiency out of a simple calcium chloride addition to my mash water. I'm yet to experiment with calcium sulfate because I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

As far as fermentation goes I found that what improved consistency and performance of the yeast was good aeration. Use to put the back through a lot of stress shaking the hell out of the FV for 5 minutes. Then I got onto connor brew ware and bought an oxygen kit and use that. It is much more consistent and the yeast love it.

This thread has plenty of info on it.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70745-anybody-in-au-selling-those-mini-oxygen-regulators-for-disposable-tank/#entry1002258

There's a heap of good info on this forum amongst the shits and giggles its just a matter of when you come across good information to book mark the page or take notes and then apply it to your brewing procedure to see if it works for you.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Personally if you have a well insulated tun then a HERMS wont help that much. I looked at building one but after looking and listening I worked out it would do sfa to improve my beers. Not saying they dont work , just ment more expense and more equip to clean.
Dunno about that Stu.. Ive set mine up to CIP, all I do is change over 2 hoses and add Perc / Met to the HEX unit and it then merrily cleans itself. Step mashing is a doddle. Wort is crystal clear. Cost? pretty minimal, used a big w pot, pretty much had everything else laying about. Cheap and ghetto but most importantly, effective.

The biggest thing recently has been moving to all grain. The difference in the quality of the beer is simply astonishing. There is no comparison between what I am brewing now and what I was with extract and K & K. I could not ever go back to extract or K & K.

Things I learnt that improved my beers to no end whilst doing K & K/extract were:

Importance of a suitable and stable fermentation temperature.
Using fresh, quality ingredients
Using quality yeast
Importance of making sure all equipment is spotlessly clean and sanitised

Latest posts

Back