Whatever Happened To Amarillo?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Don't seem to hear much about it nowadays. Maybe the Amarillo Fanbois have gone on to Nelson Sauvin or something.

Ive still been giving it some love, actually quite fond of it... just ran out in fact... a good reminder to restock

rhizomes available for this? anybody growing or is it not available?

i think brewers may be trying to find alterntives as is is a pretty hard hop to find atm.the shortages of this hop and simcoe and citra is why the hop companys are putting out hop blends such as falconers flight as a substitute.

The 6.9%aa stuff killed the love affair for me, turns out it wasn't even amarillo. I was gifted a small bag of amarillo from another member cleaning out his hop stash a few months ago. It made a cracker golden ale which i thoroughly enjoyed. Such a good hop.

I really don't like the way it sits in my beers. Never got a chance to try the fabled 'old stuff'. The new stuff is not for me though...

I cracked a keg of APA this week with Simcoe throughout then a 1g per litre dry hopping addition Amarillo. Fantastic. I went off it for a while though I'm still a big fan, yet I use it with more reserve now.

I busted some out yesterday to replicate Goomba's House Ale recipe that I screwed up a few months back.

This was one of my favourite hops and luckily I still have a good supply in the freezer, thanks to buying In bulk and vacuum sealing down to smaller lots. You can't grow Amarillo due to US patents unless someone has stolen some rhizome, proble be different under our conditions any way. maybe they will produce more this year?

Still a favourite of mine in any APA. Lots of people moved onto the Nelson & Galaxy craze though, but they just leave a cheesy after taste in my opinion.

Have yet to have a home brew or commercial beer with Galaxy in it that I have thought "that is a cracker of a beer".

3 out of my pat 4 beers were Amarillo dominant! I quite like it.

Just bought 1 kg of Amarillo last week, the web site said it was 2010 turns out when I got it it was 2011 so I hope its just as good, but I have heard its not from most reports.

Just bought 1 kg of Amarillo last week, the web site said it was 2010 turns out when I got it it was 2011 so I hope its just as good, but I have heard its not from most reports.

Was the 2011 9.2%?

QldKev

yob..Amarillo hops are privately grown only by Virgil Gamache Farms..which make rhizomes hard to get

I still have some in my freezer and use it in conjunction with other hops. However, I've found more recent season's crops have a character I don't like so I tend towards cascade and chinook for most US driven beers (and just started toying with citra and simcoe).

My last 2 Golden's have been fairly disappointing, especially the last one, where the flavour has all of a sudden disappeared. Don't know the year but it was 9.3% AA. :beerbang:

I just bought the 2011 9.2AA crop 450g. Hope it's as nice as the last lot I had!

Shhhhh.dont make it popular again. New hops come in r all anyone wants to use are those. they then go out of fashion ans the rest if us can get a good supply again.

yob..Amarillo hops are privately grown only by Virgil Gamache Farms..which make rhizomes hard to get
My last experience with it was that it was very similar to cascade....
rizomes are not hazrd to get....you cannot get them...
F

Back