What Wyeast Goes Like The Clappers & When

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
From inspiration of one of BribieG's posts, I'd though I start a thread where we could put down our experiences with wyeast and when in their generation cycle we have had the best results, or in Bribie's words "go like the clappers". I'll start hey ;)

I don't really have enough experience to comment on any other yeast but 1056 (I use this a lot), but I've been finding that my 3rd gen is a f**king madman, only time I've had this yeast nearly jump out of the fermentor. All the starters are firing up with massive krausen within 12 hrs (1.5L) pitching this active starter into wort I get the same result, nice bigish krausen within 12 hrs, and in 24, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrk. Never seen anything like it, apart from BribieG's crazy crazy krausen recycled pic of his headbanger stout.

So, what have you found?

This phenomenon is not wyeast specific - you'll find it happens to all brands of yeast. :icon_cheers:

Yeah, but I only use Wyeast :p

But seriously, I agree, any yeast, doesn't matter. Just that's what I was thinkin' cause I use it

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale also goes like the clappers in a different way, especially if fermented at 24 degrees like its Guinness cousin is. When I first used it I got a medium krausen, then not seven, not five but three days later I went out to the garage and the surface of the brew was flat as a millpond and it was starting to clear out from the top already. One of the few beers I have actually kegged straight out of primary - usually only do that for stouts and Aus Sparklings, but within 10 days from grain to brain I had probably the best red I've ever made. The 24 degrees was accidental as I had a cooling crisis.

Recycled pic.

irish_red_thumb.JPG

edit: on the other hand I find that Ringwood produces fantastic beers but just hangs on and hangs on and used to take me over 10 days in primary and then take forever to drop bright, might just have been my methods / aeration etc, might give it another go and see if I can hurry it up, but haven't used it for over a year.

I've got a 2nd gen 1272 fermenting now in an APA, and it's made a mess. I've also had 2nd gen 1098 climb out the airlock, and 1st gen 3068 make a terrible mess in my fermenting fridge.

I made up a golden ale using 1056 with a repitched slurry on its 1st repitch and the yeast was crawling all over the lid of the fermenter, probably because I overpitched.. (probably 1cup of slurry)

Tastes ok from the fermenter though and has attenuated down nicely...

Not really sure what problems can arise from overpitching....

Wyeast 3711 chomps through a brew like nothing else I've ever seen. On top of that it just never stops.

Last batch went from 1065 to 1000(!) in 12 days.

They all go nuts if the temp is too warm. As I mainly do lagers I like em all to go as slow as possible

A quick note on wy1084.

It is absolutely one of my favourites and have used it for years, but if you live anywhere that experiences big temp fluctuations or even serious cold fronts in warm months (as we get in Ballarat), you need to make sure you have the brew temp under control. 1084 can be a real trooper, but it is also quick to doze off once the temp gets towards the lower end of the spectrum. Regardless of the info on the wyeast website I've had 1084 basically grind to a halt at around 16c. But it is resilient eough to be roused and finish the job. I tend to warm it up a touch around day 5 or 6 to help it along for the last few gravity points. I don't like the flavours this yeast throws at much over 21-22c though. Lots of undesireable alcoholic warmth if left to go too hard.

Just thought I'd offer that observation for anyone in colder climes who is thinking of using it to knock out a few reds and stouts for the upcoming months (and hasn't used it before). :icon_cheers:

2565 kolsch has flown out the starter then the fermentor first pitch for me

They all go nuts if the temp is too warm. As I mainly do lagers I like em all to go as slow as possible

Of course, but what I'm getting at is when (ie: 1st gen, 2nd gen etc...) in their cycle. So you might normally brew with say 1056, I ferment this yeast at 16 mostly, the 3rd gen has been what looks like the most healty, worked the hardest at that standard (for me) temp. Not really interested in how hot you can ferment to get a big krausen. Big krausen (in my experiences) doesn't always mean fast ferment, it does how ever, mean it's healthy, thus less possibility of off flavours. And a good chance to top crop to help keep it at that healthy level.
I don't brew Lagers that much, if at all really, only got a couple under the belt. This is mostly due to my ability (read, lack of) to handle Lager yeast in it's propper fashon. But I'd assume that there's a sweet spot for them too, although it may be a little harder to notice the difference visually from out side the fermantor. Dunno....

Latest posts

Back