What Would You Change

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWill

Reaction score
Hi,

Made this recipe a couple of times. The first one turned out pretty good, though I didn't get full fermentation (stopped at SG 1.020) and felt a little syrupy. I think this is because I carefully transferred the wort without splashing after the boil. Tasted pretty good thought. Second batch still fermenting, passed the final gravity of the last effort and sample I took to check gravity tasted pretty good ( being warm and flat).

The recipe:

2kg Pilsner Malt
200 gm Pale Choc Malt
100gm Carafa III Malt

7gm Pride of Ringwood for 60min

Safale US-05 yeast.

60min mash and boil.

Brew BIAB on the stove. This recipe produces 10l to the fermenter for me at SG 1.048 which fills my 9L keg when done.

Brewing for when my Dad comes to visit when the get back from their big lap and he likes Carlton Black and Tooheys old. I actually think that the above tastes pretty close to me. Would Like to have something a bit different brewed for him to taste also - so looking for some suggestions to improve this?

Cheers
Will. :icon_cheers:

Tooheys old and CB are both fairly dry - if you are serving to an Old guy :rolleyes: I'd maybe look at cutting the base malt back to 1.8, adding a couple of hundred grams of white sugar and using Nottingham Yeast.

Ive only made a few olds and I think the one that was closest to a Tooheys had about 150gm of biscuit malt in it which gave that dry/sharpish note.
Daz

Latest posts

Back