What will blow up first--safety check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpedaym

Reaction score
Just set up my ghetto ag gear and wanted to get a critique on whether anything stands out as particularly unsafe.

Wok burner minus the shield (seen in background) is buried in the bricks.

1394239914042.jpg

I know my old WHSO would not appreciate the suspended temp probe cable, but then again, **** her.

I would do something a bit better than that, all that cable you have got lying around and the gas line ready to trip somebody up and maybe knock your pot over.

All your missing is a small child playing close by,

But seriously have you seen concrete explode due to heat, it throws sharp as f-ing hot shrapnel all over the place, I've been hit by some at a drunken bonfire on concrete pavers yeasr ago and it ain't fun, I'd be putting a heat sheild at least under burner to protect the paver from possibly exploding

Spin the rig around so your gas line runs along the brick wall so you minimize trip factor.

Maybe clean up the excess extension lead(leave excess at other end).

Get some warning signs such as "DANGER. mad crazy brewer at work"

Have a home brew and you are good to go.

I’ve seen similar setups in use at club big brew days with crowds milling around beer in hand, so it should be fine so long as you have a few beers while you brew. :beerbang:

Looks fine to me but id lose the concrete paver after what rehabs said. Temp probe doesn't need to be there really all the time does it. Boilings boiling.

Get it up off the ground
Concrete and heat is not a good thing, you're asking for it to explode
I know some people will say they've done it for years, but when it goes off, it really goes off
Grab an old steel wheel from somewhere and some angle iron, get 3 legs welded onto the wheel from the angle and cut a slot out for the burner to sit in
Weld another 2 pieces of angle over top for a rack to sit the pot on
It's worth the time and effort, believe me

Alright if people think I'm winding them up I must have some points to address :)

I've cleaned up the cables & gas line now. I had probably overlooked that stuff as I am the only one at home and was more concerned with things I didn't know could happen like concrete blowing up, or the bricks, or somehow fire going back up the gas line.

What do you suggest as heat shield? Or do you mean the removable part of the wok burner? I took that off because it seemed to hold the pot too far from the flame.

Pot is 28L

I don't know why you would use gas when burning wood is so much cheaper and easier - pretty easy to build a little backyard barbie and also perfectly legal, you can use it for cooking as well. You can get a wood barbie pretty hot. Back in the day it wasn't a backyard if you didn't have a homemade wood-burning BBQ.

Be sure to be rat arsed drunk when brewing and all will be good.

just make sure you are wearing a safety shield like this guy and you will be fine if the bricks explode

man_wearing_plastic_bag_while_grinding.jpg

I have an old bbq plate, but the car rim sounds sweet for another day.

Are the bricks ok with heat? (See image)

1394245142368.jpg

carpedaym said:
I have an old bbq plate, but the car rim sounds sweet for another day.

Are the bricks ok with heat? (See image)

attachicon.gif
1394245142368.jpg
That should be alright for now, but the my earlier suggestion is a great little stand you can throw in the car and take to brew days if need be

Greg.L said:
I don't know why you would use gas when burning wood is so much cheaper and easier - pretty easy to build a little backyard barbie and also perfectly legal, you can use it for cooking as well. You can get a wood barbie pretty hot. Back in the day it wasn't a backyard if you didn't have a homemade wood-burning BBQ.
Don't know if serious or trolling...

Latest posts

Back